“decent hotel and value for money”
Review of Devoncove Hotel

Devoncove Hotel
Ranked #87 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 29 August 2014

decent hotel near the city centre. staff were polite and helpful , our room was clean and modern , breakfast was excellent and plentiful , although the dining room was rather small and did get a bit crowded. had no complaints and would definately go back.

2  Thank darry01

Reviewed 28 August 2014

Stay well clear, Worst hotel in Glasgow by far, if not the whole of Scotland . This hotel is an absolute sham of a place. The owner should be absolutely ashamed to be called a hotelier. How could you possibly be proud of owning this place. This may have been a hotel in the past but is a sad shell of a bygone era that should have been closed decades ago. Good hoteliers say their hotels represent them, well this place is old, out of date, not fit for purpose and a total antiquated relic. I wonder if this person actually realises the era this hotel conveys, ended 30 years ago. The staff do not have a clue what they are doing, they dont know how to operate the systems, they cant transfer calls, they cant deal with enquiries because they dont understand you. They just smile and run around like they are trying but not succeeding. They will tell you the breakfast is included in the price which should make it good value but the food is all tesco basic range and I mean everything, the cornflakes, the coffee, the sausages etc. ( I saw the delivery going in, which was dropped off by an asian guy with a very, very expensive car...interesting), and is not at all appetising or tasty. Also, I could not believe when I was told the meals were microwave basic meals again from you guessed it... tesco. So they buy in this stuff for something like £1 each and stick it in a microwave and charge you upto 8 times as much for the privelege, er No thanks. They have a bar that has a sign up saying if your under 25 to expect to be asked for ID but then I witnessed a boy who to me looked no older than 16 being served a round of alcoholic drinks at the bar, without question is an absolute disgraceful show of the morals at play in this establishment. Maybe its down to the fact the staff are all foreign and dont even understand what the think25 poster is actually there for, to remind them aswell as the customer to expect and ask for ID. The hotel decor is mind-numbingly drab. Magnolia everywhere again the cheapest of the cheap. The kid-on restaurant that they serve micro-meals in has the colour purple, which would be nice if it wasnt for the cheap garish flowery purple wallpaper that looks as though it was lying around from the 1960s in a cupboard somewhere and hastily used up. The rooms themselves have no decor apart from magnolia everywhere. the carpets went out in the 80s but yet here are still used to this day, the smell reminds me of the age. The curtains cheap, the windows falling apart, the mattress feels as old as the hotel with an accompanying smell to remind you of that fact. All the fittings are cheap and nasty and falling to bits. The toilet is an absolute disgrace, mould everywhere, seats falling off, broken taps and showers with leaks. It seems to offer short term tenancy to a lot of immigrants who may not be used to the standards of this country and probably is how they make their money but to the normal british citizen this place totally lacks any standard. One trick they do is offer people a discount to write good comments on tripadvisdor, hence why there is so many lately for this hotel. If you look at the overall score which shows 76 out of 90 hotels in Glasgow, that tells the true story. I actually believe if it wasnt for the fake good comments on this site that the hotel would be 90 out of 90. All in all,the worst hotel I have ever had the misfortune to stay in in my life and I have been all around the world and stayed in many many places. I have never felt the need to review a hotel so much before as Im normally very laid back but this "hotel" was just so much of an absolute shambles from start to finish that it leaves you so angry I feel as though people need to know BEFORE they book there. It may be cheaper than most but we all have standards and this place will meet none of them if you do book. Pay the extra few £s for somewhere else, dont make the mistake I did. Im so annoyed with myself for booking this place in the first place without checking first but if I can stop someone else going through what I did then it will have been worth my time writing this review. One thing that mystified me is they had a scottish tourism award at the front door, I cannot possibly see how a body meant to look out for bad standards would give them an award and will be writing to them separately to warn them of all my findings.

Room Tip: Book anywhere else !!
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
9  Thank justin a
Reviewed 28 August 2014

This hotel is an absolute disaster.
Before starting this review I need to mention that we made two bookings (one for the beginning of the week, a second one for the end of the week after the end of our roundtrip) through two
different websites (booking.com and agora.com). This will be relevant later in this review

After we arrived we were plainly told that the hotel is overbooked. The error was supposedly on the side of booking.com who through some computer error had overbooked the hotel. (A lie! Another guest who had the same problem phoned booking.com and they told him that the hotel had cancelled the reservation. It seems that the hotel expected a big travel group and needed to free some rooms in order to host the whole group)

In any case,we were told that they have no rooms for us, but that they rebooked us into another hotel. They handed us the address and that was it. They didn’t care nor ask if we were willing to relocate, if we knew where the other hotel was (of course we didn’t), if we needed directions or if we needed help with our luggage. When I asked them if the other hotel had a parking ground they didn’t know. (The Devoncove hotel has a limited number of parking spaces free of charge). Their response:”Oh, you have a car???- End of conversation”.

I wish I could say this is where the review ends, but we are just getting started.
Once we got to the other hotel we were told that they had no parking lot, but we could park in an nearby car park (extra fee). When I asked them if breakfast was included, they told me that the Devoncove hotel had only booked rooms for us , no breakfast. Our reservation at the Devoncove had breakfast included and we saw no reason why we should pay 10 pounds per person per day extra since we were rebooked by the Devoncove hotel. We phoned the Devoncove directly and explained the situation and they asked as how much breakfast is and told us that the manager of the hotel would call us back.

We got the call about an hour later. Thomas from the Devoncove hotel explained to us that he is the manager of the hotel (strangely he mentioned during the conversation that he talked to his manager/boss about our case, so is he the manager or not???) and that the fault was on the side of booking.com , not on the side of the Devoncove Hotel (again a lie). But as the Devoncove Hotel wanted “only the best for their customers” he rebooked us into this hotel. When I asked why breakfast wasn’t included (as it was in our original reservation) , he started getting very agitated and told me multiple times that the rebooking has lost him 96, 60 pounds ( as the rebooked hotel was more expensive). The conversation then went in a circle multiple times but it went basically (multiple times) like this”….we want only the best for our customers…..you guys cost me 96,60!!!!). If the Devoncove Hotel only wants the best for its guests, why is he complaining multiple times that we cost him 96,60!

As mentioned in the beginning, we had a second booking with them for later in the week. When I asked if he can confirm the second booking, he looked it up and said that it seems “like bookings.com made the same mistake here” and it is also overbooked, but he will try his very best to put the booking back into the system. The second booking actually hasn’t been made through booking.com but through Agoda.com and when I confronted him with that he tried to make up an excuse that they are “all the same, just under different names” and that they “all use the same program for bookings”.

Needless to say that we cancelled the other reservation for later in the week and picked a different hotel. I have traveled for 30 years and experienced everything from the most basic hotels to high class hotels, but never have we been treated as badly (and been lied to as blatantly) as at the Devoncove Hotel.

Final words: DO NOT STAY HERE. Spend 20 pounds more and book yourself into a better hotel.
Even if you are on a small budget, avoid this place by all means.

5  Thank anonym148
Reviewed 27 August 2014

fantastic value for money. Have recommended it to 4 friends already. Location great near to city centre, museums and loads of cafes and bars,bus stop over the road. Owner is the most pleasant man we have met, the staff are kind and helpful, food wonderful. we are definatley going back next month.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Galahotels.com
3  Thank Ann B
Reviewed 21 August 2014

I think people should only expect to get what they pay for . This is a low priced hotel that doesnt pretend to be anything else. Room was clean and presentable breakfast was of a reasonable standard good choice. I think a complimentary biscuit in the rooms wouldnt be too much to ask for.

• Stayed: August 2014
4  Thank fiona g
Reviewed 21 August 2014

At the quieter end of Sauchiehall street this hotel has a nice enough location but... our room was extremely small and very basic. Narrow long corridors. Tired décor. Breakfast was not great. I've stayed in better YHAs. There will be plenty of better places to stay nearby, one of the few places I've visited that I would definitely not go back to!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 August 2014

excellent clean great breakfast comfortable bed situated in a nice part of Glasgow and a convenient spot for walking or buses int city centre rooms could do with a wee paint touch up but the hotel was so busy it,s not suprising will def visit again

Room Tip: we had a doble which was well equipped
3  Thank steve m