“Amazing”

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Perth, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Amazing”
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Staff were soo friendly. We were a large group for late breakfast early lunch. Suited for disabled and young children which is why we chose this place originally, its very hard to find somewhere in glasgow like this. And the cake. the cakes wre amazing. price was great and everyone had something they wanted.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank Eilish M

“An underrated gem”
Reviewed 14 March 2014 via mobile

One of my favourite places in Glasgow, offering something different to the plethora of anonymous, pretentious west end cafés, Once Upon a Tart serves possibly the best cakes in Glasgow - always interesting flavours and huuuge portions - in funky surroundings. It is a little rough around the edges but this adds charm. Just don't expect speedy or overly polite service.

1 Thank ETYW
Glasgow
“gorgeous decor, food not so good.”
Reviewed 4 March 2014

I couldn't believe that I had never been in this place before. I was working close by and was drawn to it because of it's gorgeous decor. It was very kitsch and very eclectic. Everything was mismatched from gorgeous cake stands to funky pictures, comfy sofas and old wooden chairs. I went in early in the morning and got a bacon roll. The girl serving was very friendly, as was the lovely 'dishwasher man'. I was pleased that the roll was a sort of brioche bun and very tasty, however, the bacon was pink, undercooked and fatty, as though it had been microwaved. However, I decided to give it another go and met my boyfriend there at lunchtime. The lure of the yummy looking rose and pistachio cake was drawing me back. Indeed, all the cakes looked very fresh and wonderful. We both ordered leek and potato soup and a ham, cheese and mustard ciabatta to share. The man who served us had a sort of ginger quiff and was obviously having a bad day! His customer interaction was non existent and he most certainly wasnt happy at his work and there was no 'service with a smile' A shame, as the 2 people in the morning couldn't have been friendlier. The soup arrived and one plate was scalding hot and the other one luke warm, again as though straight from a microwave. It came served with bread and something in a wee jar with a lid on it. After much deliberation as to what this actually was, we decided it was some kind of yukky low fat spread. There was also some jam on the lid, so I presume it had been a jam jar previously. We had asked for our ciabatta not to be toasted, however, when it arrived it WAS toasted and also contained far too much mustard. We actually couldn't be bothered to complain as the waiter was so grumpy and to be honest very intimidating. It's a shame, as the place has great potential, a good selection of drinks and really yummy looking home baking, which we never actually tried. The service was also painfully slow, meaning we had to go back to work with no time for cake.

• Visited February 2014
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Poor Service, Nice Food”
Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

We visited on Sunday 24th Feb for lunch.

The service here, to be direct, was crap. The man, who I am assuming was the owner, was lovely but clearly rushed, and was the only salvation from a staffing perspective.

We were not greeted, asked how our food was, asked if we wanted anything else after the meal, spoken to when our plates were cleared, or said goodbye to by our waitress. All of which made it a bit uncomfortable dining here.

Our waitress, and another, seemed content to stand behind the till with sour faces and I failed to get their attention, so after 10 minutes did not order more food.

The decor was different and the cakes looked fantastic. The food we did get was lovely, if a tad on the more expensive end.

May come back again but unlikely to visit at a peak time, hopefully where we will experience better service.

“Tart with a big heart”
Reviewed 20 February 2014

Visited here on a miserable rainy day in Glasgow and we all left smiling with a spring in our steps! Quirky and cute inside but the cakes on offer are no laughing matter. The varied selection of cakes look homemade, and after much deliberation I settled for warm chocolate cake served with cream. It was scrumptious and a huge wedge of deliciousness. My colleagues had red velvet cake which they said was scrummy too. There are other things like paninis, soups etc on the menu and these were reasonably priced and decent sized from what I saw.
I will definitely be back to sample some more of their delights.
Only one slight negative and that was slow and slightly disjointed service- having to ask for milk, sugar etc and a bit of a wait which someone had warned us of but don't let that put you off as it's well worth a visit.

• Visited February 2014