“Awful service, shop bought cakes”
Review of Once Upon A Tart

Once Upon A Tart
Ranked #10 of 47 Dessert in Glasgow
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 12 April 2014

On the two occasions I've been here the service has been appalling. The staff seemed pre occupied behind the counter and despite making eye contact on several occasions I was ignored. It's not very clear when you walk in whether they provide table service or whether you order at the counter. On both visits we very much felt like a burden.

There were a lot of cakes, some of me which looked homemade (and very yummy) however after it was obvious that a large percentage of them were shop bought, which I was found quite disappointing for a bake house.

It felt as though they had too many staff on who weren't sure what they were each doing, as though no one wanted to actually serve the paying customers.

Not often I write such a bad review as this but it's deserved.

Reviewed 4 April 2014

Quirky, kitschy and atmospheric - like falling down a rabbit hole into another world. "Once Upon a Tart" is subtitled a "Kitchen Bakehouse" and that is exactly what it is. Cakes are made on the premises. Menu swerves towards breakfasts, salads, sandwiches and soups...and those cakes and tarts.

We shared four servings of cake and tarts ( VERY generous proportion which seem to be priced about £3.50 - tariff not stated on the menu), four teas/coffees and the bill came to just over £20. The soup being served at the next table looked to be good (at £3, with a sandwich - £6). We did not try but will sample the breakfast/brunch options soon (mostly in the £3-£4 range) and the desserts (all below £4).

Service was fine, chairs comfortable and tables not crammed together. Plenty to like here. Best to plan a brisk long walk after sampling those large servings of cake.

Reviewed 17 March 2014

Staff were soo friendly. We were a large group for late breakfast early lunch. Suited for disabled and young children which is why we chose this place originally, its very hard to find somewhere in glasgow like this. And the cake. the cakes wre amazing. price was great and everyone had something they wanted.

1  Thank Eilish M
Reviewed 14 March 2014 via mobile

One of my favourite places in Glasgow, offering something different to the plethora of anonymous, pretentious west end cafés, Once Upon a Tart serves possibly the best cakes in Glasgow - always interesting flavours and huuuge portions - in funky surroundings. It is a little rough around the edges but this adds charm. Just don't expect speedy or overly polite service.

1  Thank ETYW
Reviewed 4 March 2014

I couldn't believe that I had never been in this place before. I was working close by and was drawn to it because of it's gorgeous decor. It was very kitsch and very eclectic. Everything was mismatched from gorgeous cake stands to funky pictures, comfy sofas and old wooden chairs. I went in early in the morning and got a bacon roll. The girl serving was very friendly, as was the lovely 'dishwasher man'. I was pleased that the roll was a sort of brioche bun and very tasty, however, the bacon was pink, undercooked and fatty, as though it had been microwaved. However, I decided to give it another go and met my boyfriend there at lunchtime. The lure of the yummy looking rose and pistachio cake was drawing me back. Indeed, all the cakes looked very fresh and wonderful. We both ordered leek and potato soup and a ham, cheese and mustard ciabatta to share. The man who served us had a sort of ginger quiff and was obviously having a bad day! His customer interaction was non existent and he most certainly wasnt happy at his work and there was no 'service with a smile' A shame, as the 2 people in the morning couldn't have been friendlier. The soup arrived and one plate was scalding hot and the other one luke warm, again as though straight from a microwave. It came served with bread and something in a wee jar with a lid on it. After much deliberation as to what this actually was, we decided it was some kind of yukky low fat spread. There was also some jam on the lid, so I presume it had been a jam jar previously. We had asked for our ciabatta not to be toasted, however, when it arrived it WAS toasted and also contained far too much mustard. We actually couldn't be bothered to complain as the waiter was so grumpy and to be honest very intimidating. It's a shame, as the place has great potential, a good selection of drinks and really yummy looking home baking, which we never actually tried. The service was also painfully slow, meaning we had to go back to work with no time for cake.