“Value for money- that is it”

Euro Hostel Glasgow
perth
“Value for money- that is it”
Reviewed 17 June 2012

I stayed as it was fairly cheap hostel in a good location next to the train/ bus station. That is as far as it goes. the only hostel in irleand Scotland that didn't let me check in before the check in time, even tho the room I was eventually given was empty. C'mon- there are rules but exceed my expectation- that is customer service. However, i was able to store my bag with them for a pund and use their wifi for 4 pounds... maybe that's why so the could get more money from me. they could have told me if I would like to got to the bar next door they were affiliated with and wait (they have free wifi). It is like a huge old hotel. run down, not in great condition. However, they facilities needed at a good price. So if yu don;t want flash or you don;t want a place that wants to make you feel good about staying then use them, as they will you.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
Gordon_Anthony86, General Manager at Euro Hostel Glasgow, responded to this review, 25 July 2012
Hi shorts666, thanks for reviewing our Hostel on Trip Advisor. I am sorry that your stay with us did not live up to your expectations.
Firstly, can I take up your point on the check-in. Our rooms do need to be cleaned after our guests vacate at 11am which is why our check-in time is strictly 3pm. We do have the option of an early check-in from 11.30am onwards which costs an extra £3 per person. I am sorry that our free WIFI in our Mint & Lime bar was not pointed out to you, however, if you had queried this after purchasing the 24-hour WIFI we would have been more than happy to resolve this.
Our building will be undergoing a full refurbishment in the coming months which will dramatically improve the condition of the Hostel. Our motto here is ‘budget stay.....your way’ meaning that our guests are able to make use of our affordable accommodation and use any extras services as they see fit to make their stay as cheap or as expensive as they wish to. I feel that to say that we ‘use’ our guests is slightly unfair in this regard.
Thanks again for your review and I am sorry that we did not live up to your expectations on this occasion.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 June 2012

Although the rooms are rather tired and in need of some TLC, they are clean and comfortable. The rooms on the road side are expectedly a little noisy but not unbearable. I was staying in a private room with a double bed and private en suite.

I had to change rooms twice as the first room had a window that did not close properly and in the second I had some rather noisy neighbours and had to be in work early the next morning. The reception staff were so friendly and helpful and had no problem moving me to a different room immediately.

Breakfast is basic (toast, cereal, hot beverages, juice) but there is an option to pay a small charge for a full hot breakfast if required (£3.25 I think or £1.00 for a hot breakfast sandwich).

All in all, you get what you pay for. The company's slogan is 'Budget Stay...Your Way' and it's exactly what it says on the tin. Great location for the centre of town but don't expect a 5* stay!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Hi Kim B, thanks for reviewing us here at the Euro Hostel. I am delighted to hear that you found our Hostel clean and comfortable. I am sorry that you had some issues with rooms but I am happy that we were (twice!) able to offer you a suitable alternative. You will be pleased to know that we have recently replaced all our windows which, will not only help block out the majority of traffic noise from the street below, will more importantly open and close properly! As for the noise from you fellow guests, we do ask that our guests are considerate of others but, unfortunately, this does not always seem to be possible. However, again I am glad we were able to resolve this for you.
Thank you for noting our complimentary continental breakfast and the cooked options. This is an area where we receive excellent feedback.
Thanks again for reviewing us and for hitting the nail on the head - we offer a ‘budget stay....your way’ and to have done that is exactly we aim for!
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 June 2012

First 2 days was on double room, other then the shower, for the value is still acceptable.
For the next 2 days of stay,I booked for single private room for 2 days, and given a double bunker room when checked in!!Why the hell that do I need another bed above of my head when I need only one single bed? I don't mind if given a queen size bed though. when ask to change room, was told there is not single private available, then why take in the booking with single private room charges??!! When request to put a remark to have room change when single room is available for the next day stay,was told have to go down to the receptionist the next morning to find out if there is any room available then, check out from the original room, have the luggage stored out common area,and only can check in again after 3pm, if there is room available!!! IRadiculous!!

They can't even put a remark on the room change request!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Hi moodycat n, thanks for taking the time to review our Hostel on Trip Advisor. From what I understand from your review it seems as though for the first two nights of your stay we had given you a small upgrade from a single room to a double-bedded room. Please understand that as we are a Hostel, aside from our doubles, all our rooms have bunk-beds and as such all our single occupancy rooms will have a bunk-bed. We are happy to accommodate single guests in double-bedded rooms where possible but due to the demand placed on these this is not always possible. To deal with your point on having a remark placed on your reservation for a single room (I am assuming you mean a room with a double bed) we can only meet your request if we have such a room available. We do endeavour to do whatever we can to make sure our guests have a comfortable stay but there occasions when we are unable deal with all requests.
To touch on your point on having to wait until 3pm to recheck-in, all our rooms have to be cleaned by our Housekeeping staff after check-out at 11am. I am sure you would agree that to wait for a few hours, with your luggage stored in our secure store, for a clean room would not be as ridiculous as checking you into a dirty room at 11am.
Thanks again for taking the time to review our Hostel and I am sorry that we did not live up to your expectations on this occasion.
Perth
Reviewed 12 June 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for 3 nights, on arrival the reception staff were pleasant however there were a few staff members that were grumpy and unwilling to make an effort. Overall we enjoyed staying here but the cleaning of the rooms could be improved by wiping the desks, windows and cleaning the bathroom properly.. The sink was full of hairs and very unpleasant. It's impossible to not flood the bathroom as you are unable to adjust the pressure. On our first day the bathroom flooded, even though the cleaner changed our bin they didn't bother to help clean up the flooding (there were no drains). We enjoyed the breakfast, the kitchen/dining room was clean and the staff were friendly. We would stay here again if the rooms were cleaned properly.

• Stayed June 2012
Hi youngtravellerPerth, thanks for taking time out to review the Euro Hostel Glasgow on Trip Advisor. Firstly let me apologise for the much below par level of cleanliness you experienced here at the Hostel. Let me assure you that this is not the norm for us here and the areas underlined in your review are completely unacceptable. This is a matter I will be personally undertaking to ensure improvement.
I am glad that this aside your stay with us was overall an enjoyable one and i would like to take the opportunity to welcome you back in the future. Should you wish to make a future reservation, please contact me on gordona@euro-hostels.co.uk and I will personally arrange this for you.
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 10 June 2012

This was the first hostel that I had ever stayed at, and it wasn't that bad. I would probably stay there again, just for the location and the facilities at the hostel (bar, hangout room, breakfast room, didn't cook so don't know about kitchen). Overall it was pretty clean and nice, except for the showers. Stayed 2 nights in a large female dorm.

Likes: Good, easy-to-find location. Nice bar. Good breakfast. Big lockers. Rooms with ensuite toilets and showers. Lots of sinks and mirrors.

Dislikes: Showers were disgusting.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Hi JayyDeee, thanks for reviewing our Hostel. I am delighted to hear that your first experience in a hostel was an excellent one. I am glad that you found our accommodation clean, well located and with good amenities. I do apologise for the condition of our showers, however, we do rely on guest using the larger dorms to maintain a certain degree of cleanliness in the larger dorms.
Thanks again for taking the time to review our Hostel and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Barton upon Humber, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 June 2012

First time at a hostel. Staff were ok, no smiles or hi's when you passed, the other guests were fantastic though. I was on my own in a female dorm, every night there was a new group of girls, all absolutely lovely! Big problem... the lift. Being on the 8th floor, it wasnt the nicest experience when the lift wouldnt come up to the floor. Sometimes it would, but then the cleaning staff were usually using it (even though they had their own lift!!), so I always worked off my breakfast in the morning walking the stairs. Breakfast was bog standard, not complaining as it was included in the price, weetabix, cornflakes, toast, juice, or you could pay for a full english. Dorm was facing the train line, so awake til gone 1 most nights, and there was construction in the bar below, so was awake by 8, but that had finished when I left. Shower dripped and flooded the floor most days, and no sanitary waste bin in a girls dorm!!! (Think that wouldve been an obvious choice!) Beds were standard prison issue steel bunkbeds, but comfy enough, just creaked...a lot. Overall, good for a nights stop off, or a crash after a gig, but wouldnt recommend for any longer than 2 nights

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
Hi Hayley Louise L, thanks for taking time out to review the Euro Hostel. I am glad that you found your first time in a Hostel to be a mostly enjoyable one. I am glad that you found your fellow room-mates to be pleasant. I am sorry however that you found our staff to be less friendly as normally this is an area where we have such a high standard.
Again as with alias_uk I apologise for our lifts. We are currently undergoing extensive maintenance on them meaning we only have one operational and as a result can mean that they can be extra busy at peak periods. As we are a city centre hostel we do suffer from ambient street noise especially from the nearby Central Station. We have replaced our windows to a higher quality double glazing which should help eradicate this noise in the future.
I am surprised to hear that your room did not have a sanitary bin as we have a contract allowing for full cover in all our rooms. This is an issue I will take up personally with our Housekeeping Manager. I am also sorry about the dripping shower; we have a planned maintenance programme in place to hopefully negate this problem in the future.
Thanks again for reviewing our Hostel and I hope that should you decide to use a Hostel in Glasgow again that you will consider us again.
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 June 2012

i been around the world and i stayed in so many hotels at different stars.. but what i saw at euro hostel glasgow was unbelievebale from the reception staff. the gril was rude and no professional with the most costumer check in... the prices changed from day to another !!!
unless the pub on the hotel all was good ith great bar staff and free wifi conection
that was on 06.07 of june check in afternon
euro hostel can do better with reception staff if they dont want be ruined
some else dont waist time waiting for hotel elevator just take a staires !!
dirty windows

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Hi alias_uk, thank you for taking the time to review the Euro Hostel on Trip Advisor. From what I can gather it seems like you had some problems with our reception team upon your check-in with us. I am surprised by this as normally our reception team members receive positive feedback for their professional service from our customers. However, if you found them to be impolite, I apologise. Let me assure you that this is not our normal standard and one which I will take up with our Reception Manager.
Our bed rates do change from day-to-day depending on demand – this is a standard procedure throughout many hostels and hotels and one which the majority of our guests expect as the norm. I do apologise that you had to use our stairs as a result of our elevators. We are currently undergoing extensive maintenance meaning we only have one operational. I do appreciate that time can be wasted waiting for this but the work being carried out will be of benefit in the long run. Also since your stay we have had all our old windows replaced meaning that the new ones are easier to clean and are more sound-proof.
I am please that you enjoyed our Mint & Lime bar and that you were able to take advantage of the great service and free WiFi connection.
Again thank you for taking the time to review our Hostel and I apologise that your stay was below our usual standards.