“check your cutlery!”

Holiday Inn Express Glasgow City Centre - Theatreland
Ranked #35 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 25 August 2012

I guess this was good value for the city centre on a Friday night with breakfast included. The room was quite small and with no airconditioning and a noisy street outside I was roasting by 3am as I didn't want to open my window. The good thing was when I asked for a room higher up ie not one on floor 1 which would be practically on the road, I was given one immediately with smiling service. Just wish 4 th floor could have blocked out all the noise. They were hammering and drilling somewhere nearby at 6am on a Saturday! I had been told street side was quieter than the other side though.
the breakfast was fine, both quality and quantity but the knives were pretty dirty at times. I guess they came out o f the dishwasher and weren't checked. Plates from other guests were not cleared from our table until we had finished our own breakfast. I found staff in the breakfast room slightly robotic. they were obviously busy replenishing supplies of cups etc.
Bedrooms are Ok although a little small. There are hairdryers though you have to keep them running with your thumb. Good full-length mirrors.

Room Tip: bring earplugs but always ask for a quiet room.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Glasgow City Centre - Theatreland

Reviewed 24 August 2012

Had a city break here and were delighted with the security features in this Hotel. The staff were so friendly, every single member of staff we met was cheery and never passed you by. Breakfast was adequate, only spoiled by the 'sticky' tables, a fault with the varnish. The staff apologised for the state of the tables and said a refurbishment was to take place soon. This Hotel is perfectly situated for the bus station, train station, shopping and theatre. A lovely stay.

Room Tip: Our room was on 5th floor and it was very quiet but as we like an airy room, we opened the window an...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 August 2012

I have been staying here on business trips to Glasgow over the past few months and I have always found it to be very welcoming with excellent staff on the desk who are very willing to go the extra mile to help out guests. The room are usul H I xpress standard and are very clean and comfortable.
Breakfast is continental and the usual british breakfast fare and is fine.
I would recommend this hotel for those with a budget to stick to as it is within easy wlking distance for shopping,theatres and good restaurants.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 August 2012

This hotel is conveniently located and an easy, albeit uphill, walk from the Queen St. Train Station. The Glasgow bus station is just around the corner. Security was good, requiring one to swipe the room key to access the elevators. The room was fairly tight but adequate, as we really spent very little time indoors. The furniture is quite cheap and somewhat worn. Breakfast was generous and tasty. We especially appreciated the single-serving Nutella packets. Desk staff were always present and willingly helpful.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank kawayne41
HIEGlasgowManager, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Glasgow City Centre - Theatreland, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2012

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to write your kind comments regarding the hotel and the team. We look forward to your next visit to Glasgow.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 13 August 2012

My wife and I have stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Glasgow Theatreland every year since it opened and on average we've been there on 3 occasions each year. We've been there so often that the staff on the reception desk welcomed us to our second home on our last visit!

We've found the staff to be very friendly throughout the last 13 years and the accommodation is always very clean and a good standard. We usually book a room with a sofa bed as it is ideal for watching TV and relaxing after a packed day in Glasgow.

We do indeed feel very much at home there and have no hesitation in recommending this location, particularly as there is a large and secure multi-storey car park just across West Nile Street. It is amazing that you can park there after 5.00 p.m. and pay only £3-£5 for the privilege in a large city like Glasgow.

We've stayed in other HIE's throughout the UK but this is the best and I recommend it without question.

Room Tip: As indicated in my review, I think the rooms with sofa beds are best value for couples.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cuillin999
MarkBurke, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Glasgow City Centre - Theatreland, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2012

Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for taking time to review your recent stay with us. It is always appreciated by our team when we hear about our guests having a great experience. Customer service is one of the many things we pride ourselves in, from Reception to Breakfast Staff and our Housekeeping team. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Kind Regards
Mark Burke
Guest Services Manager

Reviewed 11 August 2012

This was the second time I've stayed in this particular Holiday Inn Express. Its loction is ideal for my needs. All staff were very helpful and friendly. The room was just fine. having booked online recetion staff had all my details accessed with no problem and could even find I hold a rewards card with this chain. The online price was good but reception staff suggested I call direct to perhaps get an even better deal on my next visit.

As I spend evenings at cinema when I have the time this location was perfect for a nearby multi-screen.

Buffet breakfast was fine but would have been nice to have greater choice in hot breakfast, only sausage and scrambled egg on offer, no bacon.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
HIEGlasgowManager, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Glasgow City Centre - Theatreland, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2012

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to share your fantastic comments about the hotel. It is always appreciated by the team when they hear about our guests having a great experience. With regards to breakfast, as we are an Express Brand, we only offer limited hot items on our free buffet. Full breakfast, if required, can be purchased for our sister hotel the Holiday Inn which is next door and this has an extensive range of hot items available.

Myself and the team are looking forward to seeing you again soon on your next visit to Glasgow.

Kindest Regards,

Reviewed 7 August 2012

This was my first stay ever at a Holiday Inn hotel, and it was a very positive experience. The rooms are nice, clean and comfortable. There is a choice of soft or firm pillows, which I thought was a nice touch. My cousin, who has stayed at this hotel many times, said that the shower would be “the best shower you’ve ever had”. While not exactly life-changing, I will say that it was pretty good :) My room rate included a continental breakfast, although it was also possible to get sausages and scrambled eggs if you wanted this. The hotel is close to Sauchiehall Street and Buchanan Street, and about a 10 minute walk from Glasgow Queen Street railway station. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Petunia2130
HIEGlasgowManager, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Glasgow City Centre - Theatreland, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2012

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for the lovely positive comments which you have written in your review. I am glad that we created such a good impression for you on your first stay with Holiday Inn.

We look forward to seeing you again on your next visit to Glasgow.

Warm Regards,