“Pretty dire. Theatre land holiday inn express Glasgow”

Holiday Inn Express Glasgow City Centre - Theatreland
Ranked #34 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

Room was fine, however the tv didn't work, the corridor on the first floor stank of sick and the breakfast was mediocre. Usually like this chain, but not this one. The other one in Glasgow is great. It was fairly expensive too. Great location, but not a great hotel.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
HIEGlasgowManager, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Glasgow City Centre - Theatreland, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

As you can see from our numerous reviews this is not the standard our guests receive at this hotel so I can only apologise for your disappointment. I have checked all corridors thoroughly and can find no smell of sick and I have asked the team if anyone has mentioned the same smell over the last week and there is nothing there so the smell which you experienced is not in the hotel.

We take on board all comments from our guests to continuously improve our service. Our free breakfast is of brand standard for Holiday Inn Express UK and Ireland and has an extensive number of items available for our guests.

Tracey Sweeney

Write a ReviewReviews (1,136)

Reviewed 29 March 2014

Booked this hotel to stay for a concert in Glasgow Royal Concert Hall just across the road. Everything from check-in, to check out was simple and staff very friendly and helpful. Room change request was no bother - thank you. Small bar area good to relax in. Breakfast on Saturday morning was a bit frantic but staff kept up, considering the hotel was extremely busy. Only suggestion would be to ditch the cooked items and focus more on the continental as this was great. Will definitely use again.

Room Tip: Room to front of hotel.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Many Thanks for your lovely comments regarding your recent stay.

We hope to see you back again in the near future!

Reviewed 23 March 2014

After a long journey the least you can expect on check-in is a smile and a welcome. Well, frankly I wondered if I'd made a wrong turn and checked into the local prison. The double-act on reception looked at me as if I was a serious inconvenience to their evening and shuffled through the check-in procedure with zero service or small talk. The room card was handed over and off I went to my box.

In fairness, the only reason I gave this hotel two points was because the room was comfortable and I slept well. Otherwise it would have had just the one point.

I won't be returning to this hotel or any other H.I.Express if this is the standard of service provided by the staff.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
HIEGlasgowManager, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Glasgow City Centre - Theatreland, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I was shocked to read about your recent experience. As you can see from our numerous reviews, our guest service experience and team members are what people like about this hotel. I would like you to contact me at the hotel so that I can establish who was on duty when you checked in so that I can address this situation and ensure that it does not happen again.

Reviewed 19 March 2014 via mobile

I have stayed in this hotel twice now and find it pretty good. It's not trying to be fancy but he rooms are clean well equipped and comfortable. The staff are friendly and helpful. Location is good. Would definitely stay there again. I had forgotten my toothpaste and they gave me a mini size for free. Breakfast is also free but basic. Free wifi as well.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Caroline M
HIEGlasgowManager, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Glasgow City Centre - Theatreland, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2014

Dear Reviewer,

It is always great to read that our guests are happy with their stay and find the team to be friendly!

We hope that you will be back for a third visit in the near future!

Reviewed 19 March 2014

First stay in a Holiday Inn Express and I was pleasantly surprised! Clean room with very comfortable bed (but it would have been nice to have a wee biscuit with the cup of tea). Breakfast adequate although orange juice tasted a bit iffy....very impressed with receptionist, George , who was friendly, helpful and amusing. Would recommend as this hotel is in an excellent location.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your lovely comments regarding your recent stay. I have passed your comments onto George and the team and we look forward to your next visit!

Kindest Regards,

Reviewed 18 March 2014

I stayed in the hotel with friends for a couple of nights and found the location convenient for the bus station and main shopping area (pretty much opposite) and the main club area is a 10min stroll up Sauchiehall street (far away enough to not be a nuisance)!

The cleaning staff were very friendly, polite and did an excellent job but the front office staff weren't particularly welcoming. Overall we had a good nights sleep, really comfy rooms with everything we needed and finally a hotel with decent water pressure in the shower. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

It was great to read that you enjoyed your stay overall. I was sorry to here that you did not find the front desk team welcoming. This is certainly not the normal response we have to the team as you can see by the numerous reviews regarding their friendliness so I apologise for the experience you had. I will be speaking to the team as guest satisfaction is of the utmost importance to us here at the hotel.

We hope that you will be back to visit in the future.

Kindest Regards,

Reviewed 18 March 2014

Enjoyed our stay here as the staff were very helpful and friendly and the hotel is just perfect for short stay in Glasgow.
Within a few minutes walk you can be anywhere in the city centre and as there is a large safe car park directly across the road this hotel makes a great base for a city break.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank kincorth

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review regarding your recent stay.

We hope to see you back again soon for your next city break!