“very average verging poor”

Holiday Inn Express Glasgow City Centre - Theatreland
Ranked #35 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 25 April 2014

stayed here one night on 22nd April. it was sort of ok but way below the usual high standard of HI express. I've been a member of the rewards programme for years and currently am a gold member, this was a reward night. Over the years I have stayed in dozens of Holiday Inn hotels and I've always been welcomed as a gold reward member but not here. I didn't even get asked if I was a member.
The lift had a mind of its own. I was in room 269, all you can hear is the traffic noise. On the plus side though there was a choice of pillow and the bed was very comfortable but no face cloths in the bathroom,

Breakfast was very poor and way, way below the usual standard, No bacon, greasy sausages - ASDA smart price ones have more taste. Dry, presumably powdered scrambled egg, no salt and pepper anywhere to be found,the beans were ok I suppose but no trays and very little choice of rolls and croissants, I note that on other comments the manager has gone on at length about the breakfast being " free and complimentary" No it isn't........ as we all know there is no such thing as a free lunch ( or breakfast ) the cost of providing it is in the room rate so it isn't free at all...... What really set this hotel apart though was that when I left no one on reception said goodbye or asked if I had enjoyed my stay and had everything been ok.

Room Tip: somewhere quiet and not facing West Nile Street.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
HIEGlasgowManager, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Glasgow City Centre - Theatreland, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2014

Dear reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to write your comments.

I was disappointed to read that you did not enjoy your stay here and that you did not feel welcomed as an IHG rewards member. I can assure you that this is not the usual standard of service at this hotel which you will see from the numerous reviews complimenting the team.

As an IHG gold member you are aware that Holiday Inn Express as a brand offer free breakfast and free wi fi. This is not only advocated by myself but through the extensive television and radio campaign just recently and I can assure you it is not part of the room rate.

With the Express brand our free breakfast is continental with a choice of selected hot items, which in the whole of the UK and Ireland are sausage, beans and scrambled eggs. We do not offer bacon nor do we advertise anywhere that we do.

I can assure you we do not use powdered eggs but I must apologise for your experience with the sausage standard. I will be contacting the supplier to pass on your comments as we do take on board what our guests say in order to continually improve.

Our continental selection consists of hot drinks, fruit juices, water, bread, morning rolls and petit pans, 2 types of muffins, riveta, criossants, fresh fruit, a selection of cheeses, jams, marmalades, cold meat, fresh tomatoes and cereal. The salt and pepper is in sachets by the hot items, we do not have sellars on the tables.

Thank You again for your feedback as it is only through our customer comments that we can continuously improve.

Tracey Sweeney

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Glasgow City Centre - Theatreland

Reviewed 23 April 2014

I didn't think I would like this hotel but I was pleasantly surprised it was cosy & had a french feel to it.
The room was lovely clean and just the right size It has a comfortable feel to it. The breakfast was always good and plenty to choose from. i stayed here over a period of 3 months & the stay was always the same the service did not slip on different days. The evening meal was very good quality as well. Wifi always picked up a good signal every stay too. Overall for a holiday in this was excellent

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
HIEGlasgowManager, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Glasgow City Centre - Theatreland, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2014

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to write you kind comments!

We hope to welcome you back again in the near future!

Reviewed 11 April 2014 via mobile

Having stayed in a holiday inn the previous night in Edinburgh I was much happier with the size of the rooms.
Staff at reception were very friendly. No on sure parking but a reduced parking few for concert square across the road. I did have to ask for this and was not offered so please take note.
Rooms were spacious and clean. I alway appreciate a few biscuits and free wifi.
Rooms were quite. My only real grievance was the card operated lift. The machine hate mine and my colleagues cards.
Breakfast was average. More hot food choice would have been nice. Very much self service. Still decent for £73 for room & breakfast though. I would happily stay here for work again.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
HIEGlasgowManager, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Glasgow City Centre - Theatreland, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2014

Dear Reviewer,

Thank You for your comments.

Our Holiday Inn Express brand offers free continental breakfast with selected hot items which are beans, sausage and scrambled eggs.

As you correctly stated we do not have on site parking but when a guest tells us they need to park a car then we can tell them about the special rate we have with the concert square car park.

We look forward to seeing you again in the near future for your next trip.

Kindest Regards,

Reviewed 10 April 2014

Recent stay here, thought I was staying in hotel (holiday inn as well) 2 doors away, very basic up there with travelodge chain of hotels. Staff friendly, clean & tidy all ok, price was I thought well over the top, would of saved myself at least £30 staying in travelodge. Breakfast was horrible & nasty cheap sausages very fatty type, not a rasher of bacon in sight. Also another additional cost is car parking as this has no car park, so you could end up paying near £100 a night, for a very basic hotel. Good location Central to the north side of the city centre plenty of bars, restaurants and Buchanan shopping centre also concert hall and the famous sauchiehalle street.

Room Tip: No car parking within hotel, plenty of expensive car parking nearby!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank celtic2inter1
HIEGlasgowManager, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Glasgow City Centre - Theatreland, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2014

Dear reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to write your comments. We take on board everything our guests say in order to improve service.

Firstly let me say that we do not have our own car park and do not advertise that we have. We do have a special rate with the car park directly facing the hotel which provides one of the best overnight prices in the city.

With regards to breakfast, the Express brand does not offer bacon as part of our free breakfast we offer continental with three added hot items which are sausage, beans and scrambled egg. I was sorry to hear that the sausages were not to your liking.

It was great to read that you founf the team here friendly as our guest satisfaction is of the utmost importance to us.

Kindest Regards,

Reviewed 6 April 2014

Unlike other recent reviews we liked this hotel. The location is good: a 2 minute walk from the central bus station and a few yards from the concert hall.
Our room was of the usual standard with everything working, loads of hot water and free wifi.
The breakfast was also of the HI Express norm.
We asked for a room on a high floor and a to the back of the hotel and were given that. It was exceedingly quiet with no traffic noise.
Staff very friendly and helpful too

Room Tip: Upper floor at the back
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
HIEGlasgowManager, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Glasgow City Centre - Theatreland, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your lovely comments.

We hope to see you back in the near future!

Reviewed 2 April 2014

great location, quiet, clean and well maintained, Service are great. basic breakfast but not so bad
a good place to come and stay, not a place to come and enjoy from
for business, singles and couples who just need a place to sleep and have fun in the city

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
HIEGlasgowManager, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Glasgow City Centre - Theatreland, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2014

Tracey

Reviewed 2 April 2014

The rooms are small an dated. I did have the misfortune to get an interconnecting room but thankfully the room was empty. The hotel is well placed. I marked it a age as breakfast was chaotic; they seemed unable to cope with the influx of the business travellers and hence I had a wait. Their toaster also needs replacing as all the bread came out burnt.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to write your comments.

We take on board all comments we receive to help continuously improve our service. I have had maintenance check both our toasters to make sure that there are no issues.