“Good value for money”

Ranked #33 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
UK
“Good value for money”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2008

Stayed one night in this hotel - very pleasant check in staff. We were told we could order food from the neighbouring restaurant and it would be delivered to the hotel for our collection. The telephone number in the room for the restaurant was not correct -reception connected us. The restaurant girl said the hotel would call us when the food was delivered in 10 - 20 minutes. 45 minutes later - no food so I called reception - the restaurant girl, who was not British, had written down the wrong room number - so reception were trying to locate the person who had placed the order - by the time I went to reception to collect the food was getting cold. There was no thermostat in the room, so when it got very warm we opened the window - Friday night in Glasgow, all night, especially in December, there was a noise of party goers - people shouting and singing, unpleasant language - sirens going most of the night - eventually managed to get to sleep about 3am. Good buffet breakfast.

• Liked — Central location
  • Disliked — Situated at a very noisy road junction
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank Britishtourists
KarenBurke, Hotel Manager at Holiday Inn Express Glasgow City Centre - Theatreland, responded to this review, 31 December 2008

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay with us.

I am sorry you experienced the problem with your food delivery from the adjoining restaurant, there did appear to be a problem with the direct line dial through, which is currently being rectified. Thank you for pointing it out.

Unfortunately as you said, the location of the Hotel means that on busy nights you could experience some noise from party goersoutside. Should you be returning to the Hotel we will happily allocate a room at the back of the Hotel, which is certainly quieter and away from traffic noise.

I look forward to welcoming you agian in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
tinkerbell220983
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2008

stayed at the holiday inn after our Christmas night out! we really enjoyed our stay, the hotel itself is bright and airy and the rooms are very clean and well equipped.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank tinkerbell220983
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay.

I was happy to hear that we are the ideal stop over after a night out!

I do hope you choose to stay with us agin in the future when the need arises.
FIFE
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2008

My mum treated myself and my daughter to an overnight stay here having been at a concert at the SECC.

Room was lovey plenty of room for the 3 of us, nice and clean, liked the toiletries that were supplied also. Really close to the city centre. We eat in the italian restaurant joint onto the hotel and this was fab, best lasagne ive ever had.

Had a good nights sleep in a nice comfy bed and contintental breakfast the next day was also good with plenty of choice.

Will definitely stay again next time I'm having an overnight trip in Glasgow.

• Liked — clean room and breakfast
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank LES22Fife
KarenBurke, Hotel Manager at Holiday Inn Express Glasgow City Centre - Theatreland, responded to this review, 16 December 2008
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your comments about your stay in our Hotel.
It is always great to hear when we are doing well and I was particularly happy that you rated one of our best aspects as being the clean room.
I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2008

I stayed here on business last month. Everything was fine - reasonably comfortable bed, nice spacious room, lots of hanging space for clothes, clean. Would definitely recommend the location as it is convenient for both Strathclyde and Caledonian universities as well as the city centre generally. Pleasant reception staff.

Unfortunately there was a fire alarm in the middle of the night! It seemed to be dealt with efficiently although I didn't notice any official presence from the hotel, eg telling guest what was happening. There was however a note in the morning to apologise for the false alarm.

I didn't really like the breakfast and would ideally have preferred nicer food or perhaps something hot. At £69 for the room I think I would normally expect something a little nicer. However, I might well stay here again just because of the great location. The hotel in general was clean and reasonably pleasant - not very exciting, but it did the job!

• Liked — Great location
  • Disliked — Dull breakfast options
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank gabrielle_o
KarenBurke, Hotel Manager at Holiday Inn Express Glasgow City Centre - Theatreland, responded to this review, 17 November 2008
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay with us.

I really must apologise for the fact the fire alarm went off in the early hours of the morning. Unfortunately this is something we have very little control over and strict regulations from the local fire authorites do dictate that the building is evacuated. Luckily on this occasion the alarm turned out to be false. Please be assured that the safety of our customers and staff is of paramount importance to us and that the staff were carrying out all necessary procedures.

Breakfast is a complimentary continental breakfast and the standard offered is dictated by the brand Express by Holiday Inn. I am sorry you would have preferred a cooked option and would happily recommend our sister Hotel next door ' Holiday Inn Theatreland' the next time you visit, which offers a full selection of cooked and continental options for breakfast and also benefits from the convenient location.

Thank you once again for your comments and I do hope you choose to stay here or next door in the Holiday Inn when you next return to the city.
Aberdeen Scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2008

Enjoyed weekend break at this Hotel. Very Helpful Staff, Nothing too much trouble. Very good location.

Room was not very big, but was very clean, and for the money we paid was very good value. Breakfast was okay good variety of foods, and tables cleared very quickly.

All in all Very Good Value.

• Liked — Location and Helful Staff
  • Disliked — Size of Room
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank JLS1959
KarenBurke, Hotel Manager at Holiday Inn Express Glasgow City Centre - Theatreland, responded to this review, 28 October 2008

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay with us.
It was good to hear you enjoyed your weekend and I'm glad the Hotel is considered to be good value for money.
Cleanliness is one of our main targets in this Hotel and it's good to know when we're succeeding.
I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.
britain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2008

The front of hotel staff were the best ive had yet -very polite, helpful and so welcoming. I stayed for one night with 2 girls and the room was compact but very clean. So cebtral and luggage was left before we checked in so we could shop and again the next day- Nothing was too much for them. Other hotels should learn from this service.I didnt think the breakfast would be up to much for the price we paid but it was good for a continental one with yoghurt, fruit, toast, rolls, croissants , cheese, juice cereal and with mugs for our drinks.. WILL CERTAINLY STAY AGAIN WHEN WE GO TO GLASGOW FOR A SHOP.

• Liked — friendly staff
  • Disliked — compact rooms
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank catmorri
KarenBurke, Hotel Manager at Holiday Inn Express Glasgow City Centre - Theatreland, responded to this review, 1 October 2008
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for commenting on your stay with us. It is always a pleasure to read positive guest feedback and it is also great to know in the current climate that you would return to stay with us on future shopping trips.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel.
West Yorkshire England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2008

This hotel is spot on the brand! Like other Holiday Inn Express hotels it is well situated, the room was clean, modern and fresh although quite small. It was basic (the only obvious "extra" is tea and coffee-making facilities) but that it is all you are paying for and it is good value if you can book in advance at the right time.
Both the receptionists I encountered were exceptionally helpful, pleasant and welcoming and would do credit to any hotel of any standard. There was a small bar which served beer at sensible prices (for a hotel!) - £2.60 a pint to be exact. If you have ever tried to get into a Glasgow bar on a Saturday night you would actually find the Holiday Inn bar quite welcoming! Breakfast was basic but quite good as long as you don't want anything hot (apart from the coffee which was very good). Fruit juice, cereal, rolls and coffee were more than adequate for me
Just two minor criticisms - I know that liquid soap must be cheaper than small bars but I hate the stuff and it is actually enough to make me go elsewhere. The other problem was the noise. I had a rear facing room and the choice of baking (it was very hot) or opening a window and facing up to the noise of Glasgow city centre on a Saturday night. I am not usually affected in a hotel by exterior noise but this was bad!
Overall, however, I had a good stay which more than matched my expectations and I would recommend the hotel.

• Liked — Convenient location, good value
  • Disliked — Liquid soap, the exterior noise
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank ronfaddison
KarenBurke, Hotel Manager at Holiday Inn Express Glasgow City Centre - Theatreland, responded to this review, 25 September 2008
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for your comments, I was thrilled that once again our staff feature highly.

Liquid Soap is part of our company brand standard and is not unfortunately something that we can change. Further to your comments however, I have added bars of soap to our supplies list in reception and future guests can now choose the alternative.

I am sorry the noise outside proved to be a bit much, this is I'm afraid probably the only location drawback there is.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to comment and to give us the opportunity to implement changes when required.