“A reliable good quality 3 star hotel in a central location”

Holiday Inn Express Glasgow City Centre - Theatreland
Ranked #32 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
Sydney, Australia
“A reliable good quality 3 star hotel in a central location”
Reviewed 2 August 2009

Pros:
- welcoming and friendly reception staff.
- rooms are basic but clean and well maintained.
- central location, close to main shopping area and the bus terminal (Buchanan Bus Station).

Cons:
- I paid the weekend advance purchase rate of £69 which is good enough value, however the hotel's full standard rate of around £90-£100+ wouldn't represent good value as the hotel is pretty basic after all.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled solo
KarenBurke, Hotel Manager at Holiday Inn Express Glasgow City Centre - Theatreland, responded to this review, 4 August 2009
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you so much for reviewing our Hotel.
I was very happy to see the Hotel described as reliable and good quality. Thank you also for pointing out the cleanliness and friendly staff aspects - I consider both to be priorities when running a Hotel.
I do hope we will welcome you again in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Brooklyn
Reviewed 19 July 2009

We booked a Holiday Inn Express and expected a certain level of service and quality and found that this hotel met our expectations. It was a one night stop in Glasgow - the hotel was basic but clean. The rooms were small as was the bathroom (a bit like a cruise ship cabin), and the mattress was a little stiff for my wife's taste. The hotel was safe and in a central location (everything was in walking distance). The parking garage across the street was challenging to get into but was affordable and secure. Overall, we were pleased with our decision to stay here, but it certainly was not a "romantic get-away" type of stay.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay with us. I am pleased that in general everything was to your satisfaction. As you may have read in previous reviews, one of my main priorities in the Hotel is cleanliness and once again I am happy to see that you have highlighted this. I do hope we have the pleasure in welcoming you again in the future.
Many Thanks
Ireland
Reviewed 21 June 2009

First impressions were very impressive when we arrived earlier than the recommended check in time, our room was ready and staff appeared to be very pleasant. We were also impressed with the security in place.

Rooms are compact and clean, but once we opened the window it was like have a turbine in the background, we couldn't work out what was actually causing the noise but reckoned we were over the house boiler so when we were in the room we had to keep the windows closed.

Friday night/ saturday morning 3 o'clock ish we were awoken with a loud siren noise which turned out to be a fire alarm, thankfully a false alarm. The following morning we noticed after showering that our shower was leaking when turned off. We approached the reception desk to advise them of the shower circa 11am as we were heading out, at this stage we made reference to the fire alarm the previous night, the man on the desk became very aggitated when asked about it, we queried as to the cause (queried not interrogated) and he said he refused to discuss anything to do with the hotel or it's visitors with anyone but that the situation was in hand and that the correct procedures for evacuation were carried out, I enquired was it normal that a roll call of all hotel guests not be taken he insisted that they do and that there was not one done that night as it was a false alarm, we were outside for at least 15mins before the fire fighters gave the all clear. He became increasingly aggitated and rude, I said that I had chosen the hotel for the great reviews it had got on Tripadvisor and that he was letting down the hotel being so rude and agressive when I was only asking questions his reply was 'well make a complaint if you want'.

We were out of the room for most of that day and returned to get ready to head out for the night, the shower was still leaking when we went to use it 10hours later, then a man knocked on our door to say he was investigating a leak and needed to check if there was any water leaking from our bathroom, we advised that we had spoken to M on reception at 11am that morning to advise him of the leak. At this stage the man had to turn the water off in our room which meant we could not shower or use the toilet facilities, we left the room and went to the local cinema instead, when we arrived back at midnight we were advised by a very nice friendly man on reception that our room was ok for to use and he did apologise for the inconvenience, at this point we had decieded after the confrontation earlier on in the day we were not even going to make any issue of the fact we had to change our plan for that night. The breakfast was very basic and we had to stand waiting for to get a free seat.

The location of this hotel is ideal for anyone wanting to shop etc. but i'm sure some of the other ones in the same vacinity are alot better, the rudeness of M on reception let down this hotel big time and he obviously did not heed the fact that we said there was an issue with our shower or it would not have been an issue for the plumber 10hours later. We paid almost €150 per night for our stay and have to say we both said we'd visit Glasgow again but by no means stay at this hotel, for the cost involved the service and facilities were substandard.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank SoDisappointed09
KarenBurke, Hotel Manager at Holiday Inn Express Glasgow City Centre - Theatreland, responded to this review, 23 June 2009
Dear Reviewer,
Firstly please let me apologise for the unfortunate experience you encountered at the Hotel.
I am sorry that you were left with concerns regarding the efficiency of our Fire Procedures. Please allow me to reassure you that the safety of our guests and staff is of paramount importance to us. We have carefully conceived, and well rehearsed policies in place to deal with the menace of fire.
I was also most concerned to read the comments regarding one of my staff. I can assure you that this is far from the norm for the gentleman concerned. I am more accustomed to thanking guests for the compliments received about him. I will investigate this matter fully and I do aplolgise for this completely uncharacteristic lapse in the service provided.
Please do not hesitate to contact me at the Hotel should you wish to discuss the matter in person.
Thank you for taking the time to comment and giving me the opportunity to review any areas which may require additional training.
Toronto
Reviewed 18 June 2009

This hotel is in a great location for exploring the city.
Easy access to train and bus stations, close to Buchanan Galleries for shopping.
I stayed one night on my way to Oban and was very pleasantly surprised.
Everything was ready on my arrival and the 2 gentlemen on Reception were very friendly and welcoming. As a woman travelling alone, I appreciated the excellent security measures in place (you can only access the lifts with your room key).
Breakfast was included in the rate and was fine.
I would recommend this hotel for both leisure and business travellers.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled solo
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our Hotel.
One of our main priorities is the safety and security of our guests I am therefore really pleased that at as a woman travelling alone you feel quite confident staying with us.
I do hope we have the pleaseure of welcoming you to the Hotel in the future.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 28 May 2009

I stayed here with my partner for 1 night whilst visiting Glasgow. We arrived a few hours before check in but our room was already ready. The room was larger than I expected, it had a double bed and a sofa bed in the corner, and the bathroom also was large with a corner sink, shower and toilet. It was just what we needed for our 1 night stay and acted as a great base.

The hotel bar was excellent, really comfy sofas, decent prices and a large flat screen TV to watch the football. It is also very secure as you need your room key to use the lifts and to access the stairwells!

To say this is meant to be a ‘no frills’ hotel it was just what we needed. Great room, great facilities, excellent location. I would have no problem stopping here again or recommending it to a friend.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SammieR
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on your stay.
I am glad the Hotel and facilities were better than you expected and look forward to welcoming you in the future.
Kind Regards
Glasgow
Reviewed 26 April 2009

Basic accommodation, you will know what you're getting if you have stayed in HI Expresses before.

Clean and tidy rooms, decent size, basic bathroom.
Tea/coffee facilities, a tiny TV.

The sign outside claims weekend rates from £49. This would be a fair price for what is no more than a budget hotel. We paid £59 on a deal but the walk-up rate was £125/night...keep dreaming!

I would ask serious questions about the previous response by hotel management re. improved bedding. I would agree with the reviewer-very, very uncomfortable (we were in room 376). Like a sponge, have been on more stable water beds...spent half the night trying to keep my balance and not roll into the middle! Spoiled what would have otherwise been a pleasant and quiet stay.

As other reviewers have stated, breakfast dull and selection poor. Much better choice of continental breakfast (cheese/meat/salad etc. on the continent, ironically). Basically lots of cereal and bread with nothing really to put on it. That said, is enough for a quick start.

Overall, perfectly functional and excellent location for nights out in Glasgow City Centre but a bit disappointing at the money.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
KarenBurke, Hotel Manager at Holiday Inn Express Glasgow City Centre - Theatreland, responded to this review, 12 May 2009
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I am sorry you felt the bed was uncomfortable.Unfortunately beds are a very personal preference, some guests prefer a slightly softer mattress. I did go and lie on the bed and personally didn't have a problem with it, granted I didn't sleep on it for the night. I can assure you that the mattresses were replaced and should you stay with us again I'd welcome the opportunity to show you a selection of rooms, ensuring your stay was far more comfortable.
I'm glad in general everything else was to your liking and I do hope you will choose to stay here again.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 April 2009

Stayed one night in March; check in staff friendly (the chap on the desk wasn't even phased by me not being able to work the key card!); clean, comfortable room near the back so nice & quiet & good choice at breakfast. Would stay here again. One tip - book online as it's much cheaper than the walk-in rate.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
KarenBurke, Hotel Manager at Holiday Inn Express Glasgow City Centre - Theatreland, responded to this review, 22 April 2009
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on your stay in the Hotel.
I am glad everything was to your satisfaction and pleased that once again the staff are recognised.
Thank you also for passing the tip on about booking in advance on the internet, although you can at times get as good a deal when walking in to the Hotel, it is all very much dependant on the rooms we have available.
I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Hotel in the future.