Banana Leaf (Cambridge Street) - Malaysia Chinese Cuisine
Ranked #177 of 2,411 Restaurants in Glasgow
Price range: US$6 - US$21
Cuisines: Asian, Chinese, Malaysian
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: The culmination of 35 years' experience starting in Malaysia has been transported in all its authenticity for your enjoyment here in Glasgow with this family-run business.
Glasgow
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Outstanding food”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Visited with my other half on a Saturday night at the start of July. Given it was a summer evening, and the weekend, the restaurant was reasonably quiet. We were seated at the window and the staff were very attentive from the outset.
We were disappointed to find there were no draught beers and only commercial bottled lagers but there was a decent range of spirits and wines so we were fine for drinks.
We eventually decided what to order but we would have happily ordered everything they had on the menu. Everything sounded delicious. I settled for the chicken satay starter and my partner had the crispy salt and chilli squid. We also ordered the Achar Salad (we do live our pickled veg).
The starters were faultless and generous but I would especially recommend the salad. Crisp and not too sweet or overpowering it was everything I hoped it would be and a perfect palate cleanser between courses.
For main course I opted for the fried vermicelli noodles with barbecue glazed pork and shrimps. This was a dry fried dish with generous amounts of meat and shrimp. It had chilli through it too but not too much, so it had a kick but didn't leave me gasping for breath. I really enjoyed it and would be happy to order it again. My partners dish was, however, the star of the show. He ordered the curry laksa and nearly passed out when it arrived at the table. It was huge and he didn't believe he could finish it. It was topped with wontons, tofu puffs and barbecue glazed pork. It was listed as a spicy dish but we didn't find the broth to be too hot. The heat came from the plentiful chopped fresh chillis which could no doubt be left out at the diner's request. Neither of us had tasted a laksa with quite so much depth as this before and it turned out that he didn't have too much trouble finishing it. I have to admit that I did help though (mainly because I couldn't keep away from it. It was truly delicious.)
After a rest we decided to go the whole hog and have dessert too. It was nice to see traditional desserts and not some standard bought in ice cream or gateaux that seem to be the mainstay of desserts in Indian and Asian restaurants. I had the banana fritters and Ian had a pandan pancake. The fritters were miles away from the dish served by Chinese takeaways up and down the country. A full banana, halved and coated in a light crispy batter with just a drizzle of the sweet syrup. It was served with vanilla ice cream. Perfect. Ian's pancake (which was green)was folded over and was filled with a set custard. It had an unusual but incredibly moreish flavour. This, again, was served with ice cream.
I cannot fault the food we had at Banana Leaf and will certainly be back for more. It was unfortunate that the restaurant was not busier and therefore more atmospheric but this is a very small concern on what was otherwise a great meal. Cannot wait to go back for more.

• Visited July 2014

Germany
“Absolutely fabulous”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

This little place took me by surprise when I discovered it whilst teaching in Glasgow during the Summer.

The food was divine and so was the service. It is a family-run restaurant, and they have some other ones, all belonging to the family where different members of the family work in each restaurant. Too bad they are not in London, or else I will be going every week!! As a person who loves cooking and eating at home, to want to go to a restaurant this often is a first.
Highly recommended.

• Visited August 2013
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“An excellent and good value lunch break in Glasgow.”
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Second time we've been here - convenient, smart and with well-presented interesting food Hope to eat dinner at leisure here one of these days. Would be suitable for vegetarians, too.

• Visited June 2014
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
“A fantastic meal at a reasonable price.”
Reviewed 14 June 2014

The 'pop up' at the start of this review asked "Is this one of the best meals you've ever had in a restaurant?" I had never thought in those terms but unhesitatingly ticked "yes" although maybe I could , given time think of some others to favourably compare with it.
We were staying at a nearby brand Hotel that had its problems that night so we left to eat elsewhere. Such is the serendipity of dining opportunities.
We had seen the place on arrival and went there to try it.
We got a great warm oriental welcome and a table was found quickly.
We are very familiar with Chinese Cuisine but were curious as to how the 'Malaysian' accent would differ.
so we took the set meal "Banquet for two" purely for research purposes and what a lovely choice.
the 'starter platter' was several small items such as ribs, chicken wings, rolls and dimsum type pastys. It was delicious.
The table was cleared and our four 'mains' arrived, we had chosen two each but of course shared all four. Toffu, Squide, Fish parcels and a meat dish consisting of smokey pork.
Rice and of course "Singapore Noodles" to finish.
The meal was lovely, hot, cooked to perfection and of course delicious. We were not hurried to finish, we had nowhere to go other than back to our Hotel, and lingered over fresh green tea.
All in all a lovely experience that we would otherwise have missed out on altogether.
Our first visit to Glasgow and as we will return again we shall make the Banana Leaf "Yes" a definite place to eat.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank mfuwe
London, United Kingdom
“Impressive flavours from good Malaysian restaurant”
Reviewed 21 May 2014

We were staying at the hotel across the road and decided to try based on previous reports.
Only 3 other tables being used and they were able to accomadate the 4 of us.
They were quick with service and drinks.
The starters were tasty and hot vegetarian spring rolls were tasty and came with a nice sweet/sour sauce , as was the roti with a curry sauce.
The others with crispy chicken were well and duck thoroughly enjoyed their food. I had crispy fish in a sweet/sour sauce and hot sizzlinf tofu with veg in a vegetarian oyster sauce- very good .
The foos was fresh and hot and I would certainly return.

• Visited May 2014

Travellers who viewed Banana Leaf (Cambridge Street) - Malaysia Chinese Cuisine also viewed

Glasgow, Scotland

Been to Banana Leaf (Cambridge Street) - Malaysia Chinese Cuisine? Share your experiences!