“Terrible service, worst experience”

Fraser Suites Glasgow
Ranked #23 of 95 Hotels in Glasgow
Scotland
“Terrible service, worst experience”
Reviewed 15 July 2010

I shall simply list all the negatives we had at this hotel when my wedding party who traveled from overseas stayed there last year.
1. On arrival, we were completely ignored while I person filed papers and the other was serving someone else. Neither of them looked up to acknowledge the group of us who arrived.
2. One of the suites were not ready.
3. There was no lovely views of merchant city, we looked onto a carpark. There is alot of street noise.
4. The worst part was checking out, we asked for a late check out as the car to take us to the wedding venue was not arriving until 3pm, and we asked for a late checkout. Now we had booked 3 of their suites, so I assumed they would say not a problem for the late checkout for at least one of the rooms (I had my wedding dress with me at the time). They said unfortunately all the rooms are booked and needed to be cleaned for the other set of guests arriving. Then they said, but for £40 we can keep 1 of the suites for an extra hour. I said, I am not paying that for just 1 extra hour. Their front desk service was rude and the worst I have ever experienced.

There are alot nicer hotels in Glasgow with alot friendlier service, I would never recommend anyone to stay here based on my last experience.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
  • Korean first
lancashire
Reviewed 30 June 2010

Stayed nwith mother for 3 nights at Fraser Suites, glasgow. Staff helpful and friendly, room (a studio apartment for two) was perfectly adequate for our purposes. Beds comfy, bedding nice quality. Kitchen equipped pretty well for a three day stay - no oven but microwave/grill adequate for our purposes. 5-10 minute walk from central station, area was fine, loads of bars / restaurants to chose from. 5 mins walk to George square, not much further to all wonderful designer shops on ingram street and buchanan street. Apartments not serviced on Sundays, but this was not a problem for us (we were quite clean and tidy!). We were in a disabled room on 1st floor, there was some noise from an air conditioning unit, and occasionally local pub seemed to empty bottles into a skip, but not enough to spoil stay. Am planning on visiting Glasgow again (what a beautiful city!) with frends, and would certainly stay at Fraser Suites again.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
Scotland
Reviewed 27 April 2010

On arrival we had to wait some time whilst gentleman on desk took group booking. Made no attempt to acknowledge us during this time. Eventually one of the receptionist who had just brought her MacDonalds lunch back had to had over her lunch to colleague and come and check us in. Room was initially disappointing as no view but to be fair had asked for quiet room and although it was quiet it was very dark due to high windows and view of wall which blocked out most of the light. Kitchen area useful and good having a big fridge and tea, coffee facilities. Bedroom head board was a bit grubby as it was fabric and obviously would have had lots of greasy heads on it over a period of time - bad idea as at least with leather you can wipe it!! Overall cleanliness was ok but would say bathroom had areas that could have been better with stains down side of bath and grubby around edges of bath and I even found nail wedged into grouting on tile. Lack of attention to detail really.

The biggest disaster though was when the fire alarm went off in the early hours of the morning. It went off and on a couple of times so we unsure whether to react or not and prepare to leave the building. You are a bit hazy at that time of the morning and especially when you have just had a night out ! However when phoning reception to check we were told to leave the building. On going downstairs we found a bed in one fire escape and although door open it looked on to back of building and was not sure where we were so then made our way down to reception area where there did not sem to be anyone to tell us where to go. They were all to busy with the fire alarm panel which they could not seem to reset. We stood outside for some time and not one person made any contact with us. When I then went and asked a manager what was going on he responded " I have only been here for two nights sorry". We then were asked to move across the street which we all did. Again no information after this for some time and eventually when the fire brigade had left we assumed we could return which we did. We then had to try and get back to sleep which is not easy after all that.

Met with lots of excuses in the morning at reception on check out for the lack of information. One receptionist told me we did not have to leave the building as we were not obligated to do so as they are only apartments.????What is the point then of a fire alarm system if we do not need to leave the building and why then was I told it was a full evacuation the night before. Totally understand fire alarms will happen and at any time but it was the way the situation was handled and was very unprofessinal and totally unsatisfactory - no roll call but maybe in apartments again are not require to do so???
I would have thought any building where there are large numbers of guests staying they would have a fire drill and all members of staff regardless of of how long they have been with the company are familiar with it and can carry out procedures in a professional and capable manner. Heaven forbid if this had been a serious fire!

All in all I think this place is fine for a night but a huge lack of organisation in a fire situation would make me look to stay elsewhere as I would not have any confidence staying there again.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ruby53Scotland
Prestwick
Reviewed 26 January 2010

After searching the internet for days trying to decide where to stay for a night out in Glasgow my wife and I decided to opt for the Fraser Suites in Glasgow.
This was our first visit to the Fraser Suites and on arrival we were instantly made to feel welcome by the friendlieness of the reception staff.
The system of booking in was was very fast and before we knew it we were in our elected accomodation.
On this occasion because we would only be residing overnight we opted for the self contained studio appartment.
The appartment was very spacious and well furnished to a very comfortable level. The appartment consisted of an open plan living area with kitchen area and separate bathroom (Large in size). The living area had a dvd player and hi fi system.
All fixtures and fittings were in good order and the accomodation spotlessly clean.
We stayed in appartment No 312 located on the third floor at the rear of the building.
I had read other reviews reporting excesive noise levels emitting from nearby clubs and bars. I can honestly say that we never encountered any such noise and both had a perfect nights sleep.
I would highly recommend the Fraser Suites for anyone thinking of spending a short break in Glasgow. The spaciousness, privacy and independance afforded by the accomodation easily beats the majority of overpriced hotels in the Glasgow area.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank digne09
Chester
Reviewed 7 December 2009

Our second stay in this hotel. Last time it was in a two bedroomed appartment - this time it was a one bed. Thoroughly recommended.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
Sheffield
Reviewed 29 November 2009

Meant to write this review after staying for 3 nights in July. Stayed here main reason being to see Bruce Springsteen play at Hamden Park and this was my husband's birthday treat from me . Tried to get a hotel but everything within my price range and location was booked for the Tuesday night (When bruce played) Would not bother with a Hotel again, as staying in self serviced apartments we found to be so much better. Reception check in fine, staff very helpful, even printed out bus routes to Hampden. So well located for EVERYTHING in Glasgow City Centre. We did no cooking, thought there were facilities, lovely clean kitchen and bathroom and bedroom with very comfortable bed. We noticed no noise at all for what you'd expect for a big city and ate out during our trip. Will be going back to Glasgow again and will stay again at the Fraser Suites.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ValAdams
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed 24 November 2009

We enjoyed staying in a place larger than a hotel room, that had a kitchen. Our first night we were in a room that was big enough for a fold out bed to go along with our double bed. Luckily my son was not with us so we didn't need the fold out bed, just a double bed. I say luckily because the room assigned to us was super noisy. There must be a bar right under the room because there was loud noise and pounding all night. As we just arrived from San Francisco we were so out of it we slept thru it, but i knew the next night we would never be able to sleep. The next day I requested we change rooms. They were very nice and let us change to a room in the back, way down the hallway. We loved our room at the end of the hall, the view was to a lightwell, so no view, but I was glad to give up the view for the sake of quiet.
What I did like besides the quiet was that the Fraser Suites is located right next to an Indian restaurant that we ate at 3 out of 3 nights. We loved the Tikka Masala there and the service. That made Fraser Suites very worthwhile. The Suites were near the City Hall /Market area where our event was being held. That was terrific--just a block away.
It is also just a few blocks from the shopping area, and boy can you do some great shopping in Glasgow! If we had not been so tired each day we would have cooked in the Suites, which is again one of the perks of not being in a hotel. As it was, we did enjoy the extra space and the price was right too.
The decor was plain and a bit industrial, but again, compared to a hotel room, it was just fine. It was clean and safe as well.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business