“it was like an expensive hostel”

Fraser Suites Glasgow
Ranked #22 of 95 Hotels in Glasgow
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“it was like an expensive hostel”
Reviewed 7 September 2010

We stayed here as a last resort as all the 4 and 5 star accomodation in city centre was full. I was expecting much more and paid £120 for a night in a noisy, clammy un-clean room!
The carpets had stains on them, the windows were high up and you couldnt see out and the noise from Argylle street outside with bin lorries etc from 5am meant we had only 2 hours sleep !! It was like a 3 star hostel and i definately would not stay here again for any purpose!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
FSGManager, Manager at Fraser Suites Glasgow, responded to this review, 9 September 2010
I am disspaointed to learn that you did not enjoy your stay.
Please feel free to call the property direct on 0141 553 4288 to discuss further.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
  • Korean first
edinburgh
Reviewed 7 August 2010

We booked 2 apartments - a one bedroom and a so called deluxe 2 bedroom. At first glance the furnishings were contemporary and comfortable but look closely and you can see the marked carpets, the broken worktops, the tv's in the bedroom don't work and neither did the hairdryer and there was no wifi, you could get broadband but only via a cable via Cloud so you could only use the internet in the living room. The kitchen facilities were limited with a combi microwave and 2 electric hobs. We were staying there as my partner was having his 40th birthday party in Glasgow and we needed somewhere for the family to stay. His family had one apartment and I had the 2 bedroom with the kids. At 3 am I awoke to hear a knock at the door and by the time I went to answer it I found a strange man (who I later found out to be a member of staff) asking if I was having a party. When I said that I wasn't and he had actually woken me up he apologised and left the apartment. I spent the next hour scared to go to sleep incase he came back as I had 2 kids in the apartment. I phoned reception at 4 to find out if it was a member of staff and they confirmed that it had been and they had been checking if there was a party going on. They did apologise but I find it unacceptable for a member of staff to let themselves into apartments at that time in the morning when they are aware that children are there. What would have happened if I hadn't woken up? It scares me to think. Needless to say I won't be staying here again and I would not recommned the suites to anyone. I have stayed in many apartments all over the world and these are the most overpriced and shabby I have ever stayed in. They are not value for money.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank taz66Edinburgh
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 26 July 2010

An extremely well appointed room .and the hotel is in a terrific location.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 July 2010

This place is a joke,do not pay the money here the worst place i have stayed the carpets and rooms are dirtey and the manager at reception did not have clue what she was doing ,so disapointed as i booked this for my work and my mates who are not impressed.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
Scotland
Reviewed 15 July 2010

I shall simply list all the negatives we had at this hotel when my wedding party who traveled from overseas stayed there last year.
1. On arrival, we were completely ignored while I person filed papers and the other was serving someone else. Neither of them looked up to acknowledge the group of us who arrived.
2. One of the suites were not ready.
3. There was no lovely views of merchant city, we looked onto a carpark. There is alot of street noise.
4. The worst part was checking out, we asked for a late check out as the car to take us to the wedding venue was not arriving until 3pm, and we asked for a late checkout. Now we had booked 3 of their suites, so I assumed they would say not a problem for the late checkout for at least one of the rooms (I had my wedding dress with me at the time). They said unfortunately all the rooms are booked and needed to be cleaned for the other set of guests arriving. Then they said, but for £40 we can keep 1 of the suites for an extra hour. I said, I am not paying that for just 1 extra hour. Their front desk service was rude and the worst I have ever experienced.

There are alot nicer hotels in Glasgow with alot friendlier service, I would never recommend anyone to stay here based on my last experience.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
lancashire
Reviewed 30 June 2010

Stayed nwith mother for 3 nights at Fraser Suites, glasgow. Staff helpful and friendly, room (a studio apartment for two) was perfectly adequate for our purposes. Beds comfy, bedding nice quality. Kitchen equipped pretty well for a three day stay - no oven but microwave/grill adequate for our purposes. 5-10 minute walk from central station, area was fine, loads of bars / restaurants to chose from. 5 mins walk to George square, not much further to all wonderful designer shops on ingram street and buchanan street. Apartments not serviced on Sundays, but this was not a problem for us (we were quite clean and tidy!). We were in a disabled room on 1st floor, there was some noise from an air conditioning unit, and occasionally local pub seemed to empty bottles into a skip, but not enough to spoil stay. Am planning on visiting Glasgow again (what a beautiful city!) with frends, and would certainly stay at Fraser Suites again.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
Scotland
Reviewed 27 April 2010

On arrival we had to wait some time whilst gentleman on desk took group booking. Made no attempt to acknowledge us during this time. Eventually one of the receptionist who had just brought her MacDonalds lunch back had to had over her lunch to colleague and come and check us in. Room was initially disappointing as no view but to be fair had asked for quiet room and although it was quiet it was very dark due to high windows and view of wall which blocked out most of the light. Kitchen area useful and good having a big fridge and tea, coffee facilities. Bedroom head board was a bit grubby as it was fabric and obviously would have had lots of greasy heads on it over a period of time - bad idea as at least with leather you can wipe it!! Overall cleanliness was ok but would say bathroom had areas that could have been better with stains down side of bath and grubby around edges of bath and I even found nail wedged into grouting on tile. Lack of attention to detail really.

The biggest disaster though was when the fire alarm went off in the early hours of the morning. It went off and on a couple of times so we unsure whether to react or not and prepare to leave the building. You are a bit hazy at that time of the morning and especially when you have just had a night out ! However when phoning reception to check we were told to leave the building. On going downstairs we found a bed in one fire escape and although door open it looked on to back of building and was not sure where we were so then made our way down to reception area where there did not sem to be anyone to tell us where to go. They were all to busy with the fire alarm panel which they could not seem to reset. We stood outside for some time and not one person made any contact with us. When I then went and asked a manager what was going on he responded " I have only been here for two nights sorry". We then were asked to move across the street which we all did. Again no information after this for some time and eventually when the fire brigade had left we assumed we could return which we did. We then had to try and get back to sleep which is not easy after all that.

Met with lots of excuses in the morning at reception on check out for the lack of information. One receptionist told me we did not have to leave the building as we were not obligated to do so as they are only apartments.????What is the point then of a fire alarm system if we do not need to leave the building and why then was I told it was a full evacuation the night before. Totally understand fire alarms will happen and at any time but it was the way the situation was handled and was very unprofessinal and totally unsatisfactory - no roll call but maybe in apartments again are not require to do so???
I would have thought any building where there are large numbers of guests staying they would have a fire drill and all members of staff regardless of of how long they have been with the company are familiar with it and can carry out procedures in a professional and capable manner. Heaven forbid if this had been a serious fire!

All in all I think this place is fine for a night but a huge lack of organisation in a fire situation would make me look to stay elsewhere as I would not have any confidence staying there again.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple