“Great value--good location, nice rooms”

Fraser Suites Glasgow
Ranked #24 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 9 February 2011

Fraser Suites is a modern and welcoming hotel right in Merchant City. It's actually set up to be for long term stays, presumably for oil/gas/angus/whiskey bigwigs here for a few weeks or months getting their important executive on. There is a shuttle from the hotel to business-heavy parts of the city. Each room has at least a kitchenette with the necessary cooking accoutrement so one can settle into their ersatz home.

I stayed here for one night--Hogmanay. Considering it was the busiest night of the year in the city, the price for a studio room was very reasonable at £90 for the night. The room was large and inviting, complete with kitchenette, "living room" area (a sofa across from a TV) and a double bed.

There was a lot of noise from the street, but I am willing to wager that has to do with the particular night in question. Breakfast was not included, and was pretty costly for simple continental fare. The TV in the room was ancient and personally I would have preferred that it faced the bed, or were on a pivot so it could have been viewed from wherever in the room that one preferred.

For a short stay, this is a very nice hotel in a fantastic location.

1  Thank pumpkinpasty
There are newer reviews for Fraser Suites Glasgow

Reviewed 31 January 2011

The hotel is not terrible, but I disagree with its own rating of "4 star equivalent".
No Wifi in bedroom: despite instructions left in the room on how to access WiFi, there is no connection in the rooms. Wifi at reception only. You need to go to reception and borrow a cable for £4.50. And no, they cannot bring the cable to you. You need to go and collect it yourself at reception. In my room, there was one plug for the cable only, next to a desk and away from my bed. Incidently, the connection was down the day I visited. The staff did absolutely nothing to help.
Noise: very noisy and poor double glazing in my room on the 4th floor. Was woken up at 03:00 by what sounded like a skip full of bottles being emptied.
Breakfast: awful. Really awful. No service whatsoever. The type of breakfast that would be acceptable in a modest B&B. Muesli our of a box, cheap yogurt and coffee from a thermos. As I left, I was chased down the corridor by a member of staff (invisible during breakfast) demanding I signed a list to prove I had breakfast - which is charged extra.
Room view: side street from one window, good view of another bedroom from another. Make sure you close the curtains.
Rooms are comfortable and clean, shower was fine. But I could get that at a cheaper place, with lower expectations.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank carminita
Reviewed 19 January 2011

stayed here for 1 night in january,check in was really quick and i was early so brill service,i also had a phone call from reception checking if everything was ok with the room which it was. For £70 it was great value for money and i could have stayed longer if i had too, the only slight gripe has been mentioned in other reviews so i was prepared was the noise outside from late night revellers but this was of little inconvenience and no fault of the hotel.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 January 2011

Stayed here at Hogmany because of the closness to George Square so it was a pleasant surprise when we got to the room and realised it was also a fantastic suite!

The studio room had a large bed, tv, cd placer, leather sofa, cooker fridge, microwave etc. Very spacious and great value considering it was cheaper than some hotel rooms.

It's right in the Merchant City, which is full of bars so right next to lots of night life, which was great, but also very noisy later at night - though this may just have been because it was Hogmany.

The only small complaints I have is that night security knocked on our door later at night to ask us to turn our music down, as were only had the tv on quietly in the background while we had a night cap I'm not sure who would have complained, especially with all the noise outside!
Some one also banged loudly on the door of our friends room next to us at 4am, again asking them to turn music down - we were all in bed, it woke us all up!

So other than strange problems with noise, these suits are great, very nicley furnished and would definetly stay again, but probably not on the weekend unless I was going on a night out and not too worried about a good nights sleep.

Reviewed 9 January 2011

I stayed in a 1-bedroom apartment my first night in Glasgow. Fortunately I was only at Fraser suites for one night. The hotel was very stylish, the staff was helpful, and allowed me to check-in 3 hours early. Apartment was very modern and clean. I'd have given this hotel 5 stars across the board if it wasn't for one major flaw. The sheets on our bed were like sandpaper, absolutely terrible. Both my girlfriend and I were red for a week after our stay at Fraser Suites because the sheets scratched our skin so badly. It's a shame because for the cost of the set sheets this would have been a marvelous place to stay. The sheets were uncomfortable and ruined the night's sleep. It ruined an otherwise perfect stay at Fraser Suites Glasgow.

1  Thank PurplePoppie
Reviewed 1 January 2011

We stayed at the Fraser Suites for Hogmanay/New Year's Eve. When we checked in the staff were very friendly and the welcome pack was very useful. We were also really pleased to hear that they were extending check out to 1pm as it was New Year. Ideal if you are preparing for a night out and won't be back until late. It meant that we could leave at our leisure. At this stage I want to point out that there is a £50 deposit - We seemed to miss this when we booked so just remember that!

The hotel room was huge. We were in a studio and it's basically a massive hotel room with a kitchenette, sofa, tv, stereo etc. It's fantastic because you have lots of room and aren't confined to a small hotel room. Although it was high ceilings and large space it was always warm - I noticed the heating was down to it's lowest setting but I found it a perfect temperature! The place was spotless - apart from the bath tub. It was really badly stained and to be honest they would need to replace the bath. It meant my husband and I felt uncomfortable about having a shower. With hindsight we should have perhaps asked for another room. The staff did phone our room just after we checked in to make sure everything was ok and that was our opportunity. It would not put me off staying there again as the rooms our friends were in all had perfectly fine bathtubs.

The suites were very secure. At one point staff came to our room to ensure it was only residents who were in the rooms. Also when we returned at night security staff checked our keys and names to ensure we were residents. Perhaps some might find this OTT but I felt that the staff were doing their best to make sure that we were safe.

The location is central, I didn't hear any music or much noise and there was no curry smell - as other reviewers have pointed out.

For the price I think it's ideal. If you are staying in Glasgow for a few days you may want a larger room and this is perfect.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 December 2010

Our suite (two double beds) was huge, warm and had a wealth of facilities. The bed was very comfortable and there were no draughts or ambient noise.
The staff are extremely helpful, with one receptionist printing off a walking route of the venue we needed to reach. At one point, I thought I had dropped my phone in the street, and it turned out one of the cleaning staff had spotted it on the lift on our floor and handed it in. That recepetionist was extremely friendly and sympathetic and said she would have tried to ring one of my family members to advise them.
I would completely recommend this hotel. The location is ideal and it's very good value for money.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with friends