“Basic cheap hotel near station”

Rennie Mackintosh Station Hotel
Ranked #88 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
London, United Kingdom
“Basic cheap hotel near station”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2011

We stayed here one night at the end of a holiday on Mull and Iona. Had a problem with the window not shutting, but the guy on reception eventually sorted it out. The room was very basic, but it was cheap, and well located. Breakfast was fine - nothing to rave about, but did the job. No lift did make it a bit of a struggle getting cases up to the room, and the sound-proofing between rooms wasn't great. However, the staff were friendly, and it was fine as a crash-pad.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
orkney
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2011

a little dated, but in the center of glasgow next to all the shops, train station and places to eat, very cheap and basic, sheets and towels were clean, big tv, tea and coffee, bathroom toiletries, comfy bed, lovely breakfast and helpful staff, great value for money, not suitable for disabled

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Glasgow, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2011

Booked this hotel as it was cheap and the photos on the website looked good. Hotel was apparently re-furbished so it seemed like good value. When we arrived we were given a room (up 4 sets of tiny winding stairs) that was tiny and had never seen a hoover in its life! The furniture was old and scratched, the tv didn't work and half of the room was taken up by a slanted roof. We complained and got given another room....slightly better. The furniture was still past its best and the shower didn't work. We asked reception for some ice at night and they couldn't even supply us with some. And we had to drink out of polystyrene cups. We didn't go for breakfast in the morning, which from the sounds of things was a good decision. Our room was right on the main road so we were worried about the noise but it was actually very quiet. The only plus side of this hotel is the location. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone, there are plenty of value hotels in the city centre that are much nicer!

Room Tip: Do not go to this hotel
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 2rmcbride

Travellers are raving about these Glasgow hotels

Thurso, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2011

After reading reviews, expected the worst, initial impression from the outside didn't calm my fears. What a surprise once inside, reception staff were helpful and efficient, rooms are large, clean and mine was newly refurbished. Hotel is in a prime location, so downside could be noise from the street, I was at the back so this wan't a problem. Breakfast is part self-service with a good choice of cooked Scottish Fayre.

Hotel offers budget accommodation in the heart of the City, expect a little noise especially at the weekend but will definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the Hotel
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Darlington, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2011

The location was really good, just a few steps from the main train station. The big let down was the breakfast. If you are going to serve crap cold coffee don't bother. Breakfast itself tasted cheap, half a piece of black pudding!!!! What's that about. Ask for toast when ordering your breakfast... I've stayed in cheaper better city centre hotels. This is the only time I have never gone down for breakfast on the 2nd morning

• Stayed May 2011
Dammam, Saudi Arabia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2011

I stayed here [with regret] I had to move rooms 3 times!! At weekend [Fri / Sat] its like a brothel, young kids coming back drunk from various venues in City. Got awoke my first night, by a drunk ? 16 -17 years old girl falling against my door. I got "foul-mouthed" barage when I told her she was disturbing me. When I complained at reception?...they moved me to another room, I had to move myself, luggage everything. Two nights later...I was awoken by about 10 drunk females [celebrating a hen-night].....shouting/screaming all night. I was moved again next day to yet another room. It appears hotel will rent rooms to anyone with the cash.....I wouldnt be surprised if they rent rooms by the hour!!.

Room Tip: Dont stay here unless your desperate.!!
  • Stayed February 2011, travelled solo
Wigan, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2011

I booked this hotel because a friend and I were hitting the sights of Glasgow for my birthday. We were planning on hitting the shops seeing a movie and having a night out later so as it was cheap it didnt bother me where we were staying so long as we were in the centre. I saw pictures and read reviews and thought why not it's only somehwere to get my head down that night.
When November came around my friend let me down so I took my partner along with me. This meant that a weekend away needed a lot more than what this hotel offered. I booked a twin room but called up before hand and asked them to switch it to a double they said no problem but when we got there they said it was unavailable. Not wanting to kick up a fuss I let it go, they said we could only check in after two but we could leave our bags at the hotel.
WARNING the room in which you leave your bags is not locked up and people can go in freely. If you can opt to leave it elsewhere, we left ours at the train station.
Then when it came to checking in we were given the most secluded room in the hotel to the left of reception is the place where you leave you bags so when he told us to go through that door we had to ask again if he was sure. He ignored us. So we went in and just beyond the dodgy room, pardon me secure room, was our room. We were pleasently suprised at first but at further glance it was clear the room wasnt the best. Above the beds the wallpaper was falling from the ceiling, the huge inappropriatly place wardrobe shelving unit was dusty. The beds were clean. The TV was uptodate. There were enough coffees and sugars to go around. There was a huge hole in the bathroom ceiling and the toilet screamed at us when we flushed it. LITERALLY.
We stayed out as long as we could before tudging back to the hotel. The breakfast in the morning was dire. Stale bread lay out for toasting, and warm milk for cereal, they refused to give us a cooked breakfast because we got there fifteen mintues before they closed which was rediculous because we'd sat there and waited for the woman to come over but she ignored us.
If this palce spent the same money on upgrading rooms and training staff as much as they did on fancy signs for the palce then they'd be getting somewhere. Would I stay again,? No is the simple answer. I dont ask for a lot but rudeness gets you no where!

Room Tip: Book if your going to be drunk that night
  • Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple