“needs decorating”

Ranked #88 of 95 Hotels in Glasgow
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“needs decorating”
Reviewed 6 November 2012

stayed here for 1 night with my husband. Very friendly cheerful staff greeted us at reception. Given room 440 at the top of the hotel its quite a trek up the narrow winding stairs. Room was big and spacious and clean however the wardrobe is badly needing replaced, door was sitting at an angle and woodwork all scraped carpet in need of replacing also. Bathroom was big and clean. all areas of hotel really need decorating fixtures and fitting are very tired looking. Breakfast was freshly cooked and tasty, there was a good selection of fruit juices,cereals etc. If you are looking for a cheap basic hotel that is in the city centre then this hotel is for you.

Room Tip: ask for room on first or second floor stairs are very steep and narrow
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed 3 November 2012 via mobile

I was booked in here by someone else and it was paid for by the company I was working with, I would not have paid this myself as was very, very poor standard!!
I arrived to be met by a stressed out receptionist who complained about her colleagues as she had not been informed about my room being paid for.....check your system!!
I was then given the card for my room, on arrival at the room the bed was unmade, stuff on the floor and generally very messy and clearly not been cleaned!! I went back downstairs and was told the room should be finished.......errrr yes it should be!!
I was put in another room after asking for one they were going to make me wait until it had been cleaned!
New room ok but not tidy and paper falling off walls, tiles in bathroom missing, piddly shower and the TV had very poor reception rendering it unwatchable!!

Not the hotels fault, but drunken Glaswegians singing and fighting outside at 3 in the morning did not really add to the ambience!!

DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank Scottyjp3

Travellers are raving about these Glasgow hotels

Baarn, The Netherlands
Reviewed 31 October 2012

I have read the other reviews and despite that I decided to book this hotel for one night. And I have to say that most of the reviews are true. It is a very old hotel and also run down. I know, for 39 pounds including breakfast you cannot expect much in Glasgow. What struck me most was the lack of WiFi altough they advertise with free Wifi. I was not able to get connection, not in my room neither in the lounge. My room was small but did the job. However my room was also facing the busy Union street which means noise. It is typically a room for one night only. Note that the hotel has no escalator. The tv didn't work properly, the shower didn't work properly. Breakfast is simple but not bad. Altough the juice was like yellow water. If you are not much demanding this hotel will do for one night only. The only plus is the location next to central station. Otherwise pay a little more for a decent hotel.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms facing Union street
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank A.Brouwer
Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 October 2012

very good value for money ,basic but very clean.Staff really pleasant and helpful,very central.we originally had a room on the front but asked to swap to a room at the back no view but much quieter.Staff were great,

Room Tip: rooms on the back much quieter
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MrandMrsPH
Argyll and Bute
Reviewed 21 October 2012

My Mum and I stayed here in May. We wanted something central and the price appealed to us.
The room was nice, very clean and comfy.
The toilet made a bit of noise upon flushing but that didnt cause us any problems.
The breakfast buffet was nice.
We were looking for basic, cheap and with breakfast and thats what we got. I would definetly stay here again.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
london
Reviewed 16 October 2012

Stayed here for a night with work - arrived late and left early so wanted to be central and this is about as central as you can get, being next door to the mainline station. The hotel has seen better days - has a feel of a hostel about the rooms - lights hanging off the wall and some sort of mould growing in the Bathroom. All smelt a bit damp. Hotel shakes when buses go past outside. But... its less than £50 bed and breakfast for central Glasgow so I wasn't expecting the Ritz. Not really recommended but if its a cheap central bed for the night with no mod cons then its ok.

Room Tip: Suggest you get one away from the road
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 October 2012 via mobile

We recently stay here for 1 night. The location is very good only a few minutes walk from the main shops. Our room was very unclean and worn, the bathroom especially. It looked like it hadn't had a proper clean in a while. No toilet roll holder, the glass shelf which should have been above the sink was off and laying down the side of the sink which when removed looked pretty dirty. The shower was also not cleaned well, there was dirt on the shower rail which I easily managed to remove with my nail (not nice). They obviously need to improve the standard of housekeeping. I did not complain to the hotel as we paid a very low price but I don't think this should reflect how clean a room should be.

• Stayed October 2012