“I am sure this place was nice 20 years ago, but it has barely been cleaned or repaired since then”

Rennie Mackintosh Station Hotel
Ranked #78 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 29 November 2012

I stayed at this hotel because of good reviews on TripAdvisor. I now think they were posted by the owner's Mum or Granny. The hotel was down at heel, grubby, tired. Fire doors were propped open, windows did not shut. The toilet cistern was coming off the wall, as was the cracked sink. The furniture was tatty, the mattress was grubby and had only a sheet for cover. The breakfast was cold, the tea was from a machine that mixed tea with coffee! Saying all that, the gent on the reception desk was very kind and gave me light bulbs when the ones in the room did not work.

Room Tip: My tip would be not to stay there
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Peadar282

Reviewed 19 November 2012

I'd booked a night at this hotel in order to see a gig close by. Having booked online and got a cheap deal I wasn't too bothered about it being quite basic after all you get what you pay for. However I was still shocked at my experience. On arriving I was handed one of those electronic card keys which are pretty standard these days. My room was on the top floor so up four flights of stairs then as there is no lift! Unfortunately the door did not open and I had to go back to reception and I got the key 'recoded'. Upstairs once again and this time I managed to gain access, except I wish I hadn't bothered!
It wasn't the fact that the room was tiny with only a single bed with a very low ceiling and sloping roof making it feel like a box room that made me want to leave. Nor was it the fact that the flatscreen TVs advertised on the hotels website as being in every room which was replaced by a 20" old school tube style telly. Neither was it the fact the carpet seemed to be in so many pieces it was like a jigsaw fitting together! Nor indeed was it the old style dark wooden wardrobe - the type your granny would have- that was placed side on in front of the window therby reducing light into the room.
No what did if for me was firstly on trying to close the window the handle nearly came off in my hand and the window simply did not shut! Leaving aprox 3" gap. Judging by the state of it it may have broken the fixings entrely if I'd tried to force it. Secondly the water damage on the slope of the roof running from the end of my bed down the back of the wardrobe. The plaster had deteriorated with the water (presumably the roof is in some disrepair) and mould was growing in large patches! I could actually press my finger against the wall and with some firm pressure feel it give way! Needless to say I complained and got transferred to a different hotel, have my doubts about them not being aware of the damage though! Top tip avoid top floor rooms at all costs!!!

Room Tip: Avoid top floor at all costs!!!
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank John D
Reviewed 18 November 2012

I travelled alone to visit the cycling at the velodrome I wanted somewhere cheap and close to the station,dis did both and for £36.00 for b+b and only steps from central station .The room was ok needs a new mattress and a dust but the bed was clean and had a good hot shower and a ok breakfast .the good thing was the staff I met were friendly and the big plus was somewhere to leave my bags for the day prior to checking in .And the following day I left my bags there again until my train left at 7pm and I was told I could wait in the cosy lounge ,to leave my bags at left luggage at the station for the 2 days would have cost the same as my hotel bill alone .For a quick overnight stay in a very central location I would happily return.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 November 2012

From reading other reviews I was extremely worried about styling here for the weekend! However, this hotel met all the needs of a budget central hotel. Room was equipped with a television, hairdryer and tea/coffee facilities. Towels were replaced every day along with new bottles of water. The breakfast was very tasty: full Scottish breakfast ( not buffet) and a continental breakfast (buffet) with cheese, cereal, bread, yoghurt and fruit juices.

Hotel clearly needs a revamp but for the price, location and helpful staff we will definitely come back again!!!!

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank Aomelasz
Reviewed 9 November 2012

we stayed here for one night in between travelling and i have to say what a disgrace the place is with over 40 bad reviews and only 2 excellent ones you'd think they would start doinf something about it, how is this place still open?? service-crap, room-crap, cleanliness-crap, food-crap!! very disappointed in our stay here and wil never EVER return and will tell our friends not to either, just because its a station hotel at 40 per night doesnt mean you dont have to have standards!! DONT STAY HERE IF YOU HAVE ANY BRAINS!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Paterson29
Reviewed 6 November 2012

stayed here for 1 night with my husband. Very friendly cheerful staff greeted us at reception. Given room 440 at the top of the hotel its quite a trek up the narrow winding stairs. Room was big and spacious and clean however the wardrobe is badly needing replaced, door was sitting at an angle and woodwork all scraped carpet in need of replacing also. Bathroom was big and clean. all areas of hotel really need decorating fixtures and fitting are very tired looking. Breakfast was freshly cooked and tasty, there was a good selection of fruit juices,cereals etc. If you are looking for a cheap basic hotel that is in the city centre then this hotel is for you.

Room Tip: ask for room on first or second floor stairs are very steep and narrow
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 November 2012 via mobile

I was booked in here by someone else and it was paid for by the company I was working with, I would not have paid this myself as was very, very poor standard!!
I arrived to be met by a stressed out receptionist who complained about her colleagues as she had not been informed about my room being paid for.....check your system!!
I was then given the card for my room, on arrival at the room the bed was unmade, stuff on the floor and generally very messy and clearly not been cleaned!! I went back downstairs and was told the room should be finished.......errrr yes it should be!!
I was put in another room after asking for one they were going to make me wait until it had been cleaned!
New room ok but not tidy and paper falling off walls, tiles in bathroom missing, piddly shower and the TV had very poor reception rendering it unwatchable!!

Not the hotels fault, but drunken Glaswegians singing and fighting outside at 3 in the morning did not really add to the ambience!!

DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: November 2012