“Waste of money. NEVER AGAIN !”

Rennie Mackintosh Station Hotel
Ranked #77 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 1 January 2013

On arrival we werent advised about how you give the bank details but pay on arrival. As soon as I get my keys, I went to the bathroom and was welcomed with a discoloured toilet seat and more than 5 long black hairs on the floor. I was looking around to see if it was value for money but came across another hole in the bath panel, dirty marks that could have been cleaned with a little bit of bleech. I was expecting a hairdryer in the room as was advertised but had to go down 3/4 flights of stairs to retrieve one. After I got the hairdryer, I tried it to make sure it worked but it never worked. I had to lie my clothes on the floor as the bottom of the cupboard was matted with dust. Also the room window curtain was manky and very dated just like the decor from the front door until the room we were allocated.
I went to get a few cans of juice once I woke up but there was noone to be seen which left me frustrasted as I had a real sore throat.
The breakfast that was available wasnt even acceptable for a toddler. I was upset that I had to pay more for a breakfast outside the hotel because the one included in our price was appauling.

• Stayed: December 2012

Reviewed 1 January 2013 via mobile

stayed here for hogmany, reception was friendly and helpful room was very clean and bed comfortable. if you are a light sleeper you might be disturbed by the nightlife on the street below we stayed on 3rd floor and it was very noisy outside. Breakfast was a bit of a let down lukewarm scottish breakfast couldnt eat it and orange juice was poor quality, i tried the continential and it was great so i would choose that. On a whole i would stay again if on a night out.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank Karlene S
Reviewed 25 December 2012

I stayed with 2 friends in a triple room the weekend before Christmas for 2 nights. We needed a central hotel close to the location of the gig which we were attending. Our room on the first floor was okay, Freeview TV, large bathroom but very poor water pressure. Breakfast was okay for what we paid, full Scottish if you wanted it, but the bread was stale on both mornings. Okay for toast I guess but if you wanted just a slice of bread to go with your breakfast then not. Staff on the whole were friendly and I was helped both coming and going with my luggage which was most appreciated as I have a spinal condition and the stairs were awkward for me. The last flight of stairs down to the entrance had no hand rail and were particulary awkward.

The lounge was pleasant and it was nice to have a drink when we returned late from the gig.

A big concern that I did have was the entrance which tended to be congregated with youngsters smoking etc. Staff were pretty good about moving people on but I would have been concerned about staying there as a single female because of this reason.

So. Not the best, but I have stayed in far worse places and paid more money.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank bondenNottingham
Reviewed 13 December 2012

Stayed for the night with my friend while down in glasgow for a concert, my friend had stayed in the hotel before and she said it was a nice hotel for the night and was close to the venue, i read review before going and alot were saying the top floor rooms were awful so i just hoped that wasn't where my room was. I arrived in the hotel and of course to my luck my room was on the top floor which meant climbing four flights of stairs as their is no lift and when i got to the room it was awful, the floor wasn't flat it sort of curved and the wardrobe had wood under the legs to keep it straight i never had a bed side table as it was in the middle of the room holding the tv which was about 50 years old had a crack on it and no remote or volume button, the room shakes every couple of minutes, the bathroom had cracked titles, really bad water pressure and the paint around the window was all coming off and the room was roasting for it being the 6th of december! the room had this little cupboard thing in it which had a hole in the wall inside it and because we were so high up we couldn't connect to the wifi, the room in general was just awful, would not recommend staying their! i have also been ill since staying in the hotel not sure if its from the damp room or just this time of year.

Room Tip: try not get a room on the top floor, get one on the first floor.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sophie M
Reviewed 7 December 2012

Myself and my partner stayed at this hotel on Friday 30th November for one night. We shared a very comfy and warm twin room (pushed beds together) with a spotlessly clean en-suite bathroom.We had a lovely night out in Glasgow and returned for some light refreshment in the hotel lounge bar, this was comfortable and drinks were very reasonably priced.We payed £49 for our stay in total which included a cooked breakfast and plenty toast and ceral available if needed.Brilliant value, this is my second time at this hotel and guaranteed it wont be my last. Well done everyone.

Room Tip: If i could give more than excellent for location i would have, absolute prime location.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 November 2012

I stayed at this hotel because of good reviews on TripAdvisor. I now think they were posted by the owner's Mum or Granny. The hotel was down at heel, grubby, tired. Fire doors were propped open, windows did not shut. The toilet cistern was coming off the wall, as was the cracked sink. The furniture was tatty, the mattress was grubby and had only a sheet for cover. The breakfast was cold, the tea was from a machine that mixed tea with coffee! Saying all that, the gent on the reception desk was very kind and gave me light bulbs when the ones in the room did not work.

Room Tip: My tip would be not to stay there
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Peadar282
Reviewed 19 November 2012

I'd booked a night at this hotel in order to see a gig close by. Having booked online and got a cheap deal I wasn't too bothered about it being quite basic after all you get what you pay for. However I was still shocked at my experience. On arriving I was handed one of those electronic card keys which are pretty standard these days. My room was on the top floor so up four flights of stairs then as there is no lift! Unfortunately the door did not open and I had to go back to reception and I got the key 'recoded'. Upstairs once again and this time I managed to gain access, except I wish I hadn't bothered!
It wasn't the fact that the room was tiny with only a single bed with a very low ceiling and sloping roof making it feel like a box room that made me want to leave. Nor was it the fact that the flatscreen TVs advertised on the hotels website as being in every room which was replaced by a 20" old school tube style telly. Neither was it the fact the carpet seemed to be in so many pieces it was like a jigsaw fitting together! Nor indeed was it the old style dark wooden wardrobe - the type your granny would have- that was placed side on in front of the window therby reducing light into the room.
No what did if for me was firstly on trying to close the window the handle nearly came off in my hand and the window simply did not shut! Leaving aprox 3" gap. Judging by the state of it it may have broken the fixings entrely if I'd tried to force it. Secondly the water damage on the slope of the roof running from the end of my bed down the back of the wardrobe. The plaster had deteriorated with the water (presumably the roof is in some disrepair) and mould was growing in large patches! I could actually press my finger against the wall and with some firm pressure feel it give way! Needless to say I complained and got transferred to a different hotel, have my doubts about them not being aware of the damage though! Top tip avoid top floor rooms at all costs!!!

Room Tip: Avoid top floor at all costs!!!
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo