“Loud, outdated, but clean”

Rennie Mackintosh Station Hotel
Ranked #90 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
Bowmanville, Canada
“Loud, outdated, but clean”
Reviewed 23 May 2014

We stayed here the night before we left by train to London. The location is perfect for catching a train. You pretty much roll out of bed and you are on the station platform which is nice. Our room was clean, although a little outdated. The main downfall of this place was that the window in our room would not close. This wouldn't be a problem if we were in the back part of the hotel, but our room overlooked the street. I am pretty sure every bus in Glasgow travels down this street, and we heard everyone. After the noise from the busses died down the bars let out, which meant listening to a drunk man singing some diddy at the top of his little intoxicated lungs for what seemed like two hours. Once we finally got some peace and quite we slept great. The next morning we had their traditional Scottish breakfast, which was pretty good, and were on our train in no time.

Room Tip: If you are on the street side, make sure your window closes!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed 20 May 2014 via mobile

Minus a lift this hotel is physically attached the train station. The staff never acknowledge you at any point and sit and play on their phones. If you don't mind being ignored and just need a bed for the night then this is the hotel for you.

• Stayed April 2014
Northumberland
Reviewed 19 May 2014

As I approach the street I was quite taken aback as not really what I expected and even more so when I saw the only signs of a hotel was a board on the building and no frontage like most hotels and had to go upstairs for reception. However when we got unto reception I was pleasantly surprised and hotel was having new carpets laid and being painted. Staff were ever so friendly and although we couldn't get into room the said we could either wait in lounge area or could leave bags and go out. We got up to room and found we couldn't close window but there was a bit of a knack to doing it and soon had it remedied. Also had problems locking door but wasn't a big deal and reception said it was in hand.
The hotel is in an ideal spot if you want to be in the middle of it all. We were on the front and in warmer weather could be noisy if you wanted to sleep with window open.
All the staff were very friendly and made our stay very enjoyable. Hotel isn't The Ritz but its clean and comfortable and for what we paid it was a bargain and will definitely be back.
Thank you to all the staff for a lovely stay

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

I must confess when I saw some of the reviews posted on TripAdvisor, I actually travelled to the hotel with some trepidation. However, I found the hotel to be a lot better than expected.

I was staying in a single room facing the main road, and generally found it perfectly acceptable for my stay. Yes it certainly isn't a "modern" room, but it was clean and comfortable, and included useful facilities such as tea and coffee and a hair dryer. The only slight downside was the windows do not block out much noise from outside. There was a small problem with a light switch in the room as well, however, I was most impressed as I think staff rectified the problem whilst room cleaning took place, without me even having to inform them.

Staff were very friendly and helpful during my stay.

The breakfast at the hotel was fine and had no complaints. Obviously there wasn't a big choice but what there was, was perfectly satisfactory.

I think the important thing to remember is this hotel is situated in an old building and I don't know if the company who own the hotel are actually restricted in the renovations they can actually do. For example, there is no lift in the hotel and an awful lot of stairs.

One thing I would recommend is that signs be put up just to indicate where the room numbers are situated in the building. When you climb so many stairs it can get a bit disorientating and you lose track of where you are without guidance.

For what I paid I didn't find the hotel to be too bad at all and I haven't been put off going back there.

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Bologna
Reviewed 30 April 2014

The hotel is centrally located next to Glasgow central station. This position is perfect to visit the city.
The hotel is nice but it really needs some renovations

The room was not bad (although old) and it was decently cleaned.
Our room was facing hope st and it was terribly noisy at night and you could clearly feel the vibrations of the buses.

Breakfast is good with a decent choice of food.
They don't have wifi

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Stonehaven, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 April 2014

Didn't really expect much based on the price we were paying. Room was comfy and bathroom was clean. Disappointed that they no longer offer a 24 hour. Seemed to be that everything happens at 6pm.
decor is a bit tired but I think most hotels are like this.
Don't stay in room 101 as the toilet makes a weird noise in the middle of the night
Would stay again.

Room Tip: Stay away from 101
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Michelle A
Grangemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

Another good stay at this hotel. Staff are great, WiFi in the bar and plenty of tea/coffee etc in rooms. Also the added luxury of cookies and bottled water.
The hotel is a little tired but the big comfy beds make up for it. Look forward to staying again.

• Stayed April 2014