“Very reasonable” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #86 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
Leigh, United Kingdom
“Very reasonable”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Travelling with a littel trepidation having read the reviews -turned out I had no need to worry at all. Excellent location literally a minute from Glasgow Central station. The doorway was being painted when I arrived but not a problem at all. Immediately acknowledged by the staff on reception who were very friendly and courteous and gave directions to my room. I booked a single room, very comfortable sleep, lovely bathroom and a nice bonus to have the full range of Freeview channels which is rarely the case these days.

I can see why people might think it is a bit of a maze, but I managed to find my room easy enough even after returning from a few beers. Admittedly I did miss breakfast (because of said beers and choosing to stay in bed!) so it would be nice if it was served a little later than 9am, but that's my own lazy fault!

I reserevd my room less than a week before travelling and was able to cancel up until the day before if necessary for no charge and it cost only £39 for the lot so no grumbles at all from me!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Auckland Region, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

It is one of the few budget hotels that has 24 hour reception which is needed when flying in from overseas. Pleasant staff and a great location. Easy walk to trains and buses and the city centre. However I did not like the people hanging out in doorways in the street outside, and the number of beggars.
A good selection of food for breakfast. We asked for a quiet room and got it. Reasonably clean but badly in need of up-dating and repairs. The door to our bathroom did not close properly and could not be locked.
The room was too hot and we couldn't open the window. Beds comfortable and clean.
Would I stay again? Probably not. No lift and lots of stairs.

Room Tip: Worth the price if you don't mind the state of the building and you're not travelling alone.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Bowmanville, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2014

We stayed here the night before we left by train to London. The location is perfect for catching a train. You pretty much roll out of bed and you are on the station platform which is nice. Our room was clean, although a little outdated. The main downfall of this place was that the window in our room would not close. This wouldn't be a problem if we were in the back part of the hotel, but our room overlooked the street. I am pretty sure every bus in Glasgow travels down this street, and we heard everyone. After the noise from the busses died down the bars let out, which meant listening to a drunk man singing some diddy at the top of his little intoxicated lungs for what seemed like two hours. Once we finally got some peace and quite we slept great. The next morning we had their traditional Scottish breakfast, which was pretty good, and were on our train in no time.

Room Tip: If you are on the street side, make sure your window closes!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014 via mobile

Minus a lift this hotel is physically attached the train station. The staff never acknowledge you at any point and sit and play on their phones. If you don't mind being ignored and just need a bed for the night then this is the hotel for you.

• Stayed April 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Northumberland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

As I approach the street I was quite taken aback as not really what I expected and even more so when I saw the only signs of a hotel was a board on the building and no frontage like most hotels and had to go upstairs for reception. However when we got unto reception I was pleasantly surprised and hotel was having new carpets laid and being painted. Staff were ever so friendly and although we couldn't get into room the said we could either wait in lounge area or could leave bags and go out. We got up to room and found we couldn't close window but there was a bit of a knack to doing it and soon had it remedied. Also had problems locking door but wasn't a big deal and reception said it was in hand.
The hotel is in an ideal spot if you want to be in the middle of it all. We were on the front and in warmer weather could be noisy if you wanted to sleep with window open.
All the staff were very friendly and made our stay very enjoyable. Hotel isn't The Ritz but its clean and comfortable and for what we paid it was a bargain and will definitely be back.
Thank you to all the staff for a lovely stay

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

I must confess when I saw some of the reviews posted on TripAdvisor, I actually travelled to the hotel with some trepidation. However, I found the hotel to be a lot better than expected.

I was staying in a single room facing the main road, and generally found it perfectly acceptable for my stay. Yes it certainly isn't a "modern" room, but it was clean and comfortable, and included useful facilities such as tea and coffee and a hair dryer. The only slight downside was the windows do not block out much noise from outside. There was a small problem with a light switch in the room as well, however, I was most impressed as I think staff rectified the problem whilst room cleaning took place, without me even having to inform them.

Staff were very friendly and helpful during my stay.

The breakfast at the hotel was fine and had no complaints. Obviously there wasn't a big choice but what there was, was perfectly satisfactory.

I think the important thing to remember is this hotel is situated in an old building and I don't know if the company who own the hotel are actually restricted in the renovations they can actually do. For example, there is no lift in the hotel and an awful lot of stairs.

One thing I would recommend is that signs be put up just to indicate where the room numbers are situated in the building. When you climb so many stairs it can get a bit disorientating and you lose track of where you are without guidance.

For what I paid I didn't find the hotel to be too bad at all and I haven't been put off going back there.

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Bologna
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014

The hotel is centrally located next to Glasgow central station. This position is perfect to visit the city.
The hotel is nice but it really needs some renovations

The room was not bad (although old) and it was decently cleaned.
Our room was facing hope st and it was terribly noisy at night and you could clearly feel the vibrations of the buses.

Breakfast is good with a decent choice of food.
They don't have wifi