“Ok let's try an be fair”

Rennie Mackintosh Station Hotel
Ranked #82 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 26 July 2014

I booked as We needed a hotel for the Commonwealth Games. Whilst an uplift in price is expected, for £250 a night for a room the quality really did not match. Yes, it is close to the station as well as the Poundland opposite and the tattooist down the road. It is very very basic. Good points are the free wifi, pleasant staff and a decent breakfast. Downsides are, a shower designed for the under five foot, rooms in serious need of renovation and a general feeling that it meets the needs of a budget traveller on a low budget with low expectations. If you can get it cheap, it is clean, the staff are decent and the breakfast better than expected. If you don't fit this group, avoid. If you want a romantic weekend in Glasgow, then this is the place if you want to split up immediately afterwards. If you want to be near late night eating venues, it will do for you provided pizza or noodles are you thing. We could have been less fussy but for £250 a night, booked months in advance, I think they were taking advantage.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 25 July 2014

One of the worst hotels I've visited. Everything was broken, old and dirty. They gave us a room in the attic,it had no elevator, very hot, very low ceiling. The fan had three fingers of dirt, the wardrobe smelled musty, they will charge you before getting into the room, before going back to this hotel, would think of going to sleep at the train station.

Room Tip: Look for another Hotel
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces
3  Thank Chopper J
Reviewed 18 July 2014

This hotel is certainly at the most basic end of ones I have stayed at. It looks tired and could do with a makeover, the decor was very basicandtherewere some water marks on theceiling and corner of the room.

However my room was clean and the bed was comfy. The bathroom was fine and the shower was pretty good. The complimentary toiletries were also a nice touch.

I wouldn't book this hotel for a stay with my wife but it was perfect for crashing out after a concert. Frankly I expected a lot worse for £39 and I would stay here again if on my own.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank LUCKYMAN87
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Stayed for one night...never again. Sink obviously hadn't been cleaned...longs black hairs everywhere in it. Whole hotel shakes as trains go past, windows didn't close. Bedside lamps didn't work. Saving grace was it was cheap but I would rather pay more for a nicer hotel. Avoid!!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank gingernut268
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Unfortunately our shower was exceptionally full of mold, which we did not notice until the morning when we woke to use it. Although the staff at the desk were very nice they did not have the shower curtain changed or shower cleaned prior to us checking out. There was also a hole in the bedroom wall, which was there prior to us checking into the room. We may have considered changing hotels had we noticed the shower prior to waking the next morning, but had also already paid for the room.

I also took note in our booking that we were meant to be staying on the fourth floor, but ended up in room 220. Not sure that this would have made a difference, but perhaps including a clause in the booking that the room/floor may be changed without notice should be considered.

We've emailed the hotel with picture evidence of this unfortunate experience just after our stay, but have had no response. The receptionist on staff at the time said she could do nothing to help us without a manager present.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 July 2014

The room we were in allegedly cost £245 (if my memory serves me well) and we got it for £59. which was a fair price.It is in the heart of the city, handy for trains,buses, taxis etc and there are 2 Wetherspoon pubs within a few hundred meters where you get good pub grub. The room was large but like most other comments here it needed painting and the toilet needed re-grouting.Whoever does the vacuuming doesn't do a very good job of it as carpets,walls and skirting boards were all dusty.The bed was fine with crisp white sheets and pillowcases.What we did appreciate was that we never heard a door closing,never heard a TV and never heard voices in the corridors.We were in room 212 facing the street but with the window closed traffic and pedestrians never bothered us as we slept like logs.Breakfast was brilliant with yoghurts, cereals, hams, fruit juices to choose from before we attacked the full fry up.One comment about breakfast:I had just sat down with my cereal and the waitress asked what we wanted from the hot menu.I asked her to come back when my wife and I had chance to look at it...you should have seen the look she gave me.She was doing this with every one..in fact at the table opposite 3 Canadians were poised to sit with a bowl of cereal in their hands when they were asked what they would like from the hot menu.Please please.We are on holiday and don't mind waiting 10 or 15 minutes for our fry up.

Room Tip: We were in 212, (one level up from reception) facing the street but it was good for people watching.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank robert b
Reviewed 6 July 2014

The location is perfect, very central and with all services available nearby. Clean, spacious room and bathroom with toiletries, tea/coffee making facilities and two bottles of still water, free luggage storage. However, there is no lift and I was assigned a room in the top floor, so climbing up carrying 20+ kg luggage without any help was appalling. The room was hot, had a sloped roof—mind your head!—and the flooring was uneven. I found this hotel good for one night, but don’t think I’d stay there for longer.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo