“Good location”

Bluesky Hostel
Paris, France
“Good location”
Reviewed 25 December 2013

Good location to access the center and bars. Use of shower was difficult. It becomes so cold or so hot. About to get burnt. Staffs were kind. They gave us free map of the city which was very useful. Worth with the price.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Polish first
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 14 December 2013

Stayed at BlueSky in late November whilst backpacking around Europe with a couple of mates, it was our first time in Glasgow and we would definitely come back and stay here, BlueSky had an awesome atmosphere and the staff were amazing and helpful especially when it came to booking an extra night because we missed our bus.They also don't mind a few drinks after they finished working and took us out to see Glasgow's nightlife,we would definitely recommend staying here if your backpacking don't mind a few drinks and a few laughs!(shannon went to bed early:p)

Cheers Mitch Dave Brendan

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Sweedo
toddP898, General Manager at Bluesky Hostel, responded to this review, 16 December 2013
Thanks mate!
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 November 2013

You get what you pay for. The showers and toilets were mingin! Politeness is free though! The staff were grumpy and really could not be bothered! It was like everything was too much trouble for them!
I will say that it was only the female staff that had this problem? Possibly they all were on the same cycle if you know what I mean..

I only gave it a poor and not terrible as it is so cheap and quite central..

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
8 Thank jmcd40
toddP898, General Manager at Bluesky Hostel, responded to this review, 23 November 2013
Your sexist comment explains why the staff were grumpy to you. you were not a very nice person and nobody really wanted to talk to you.

Travellers are raving about these Glasgow hotels

Bengaluru, India
Reviewed 1 November 2013

We (me and 4 friends) booked this hostel since it was the cheapest available at the time. It was our first time in a youth hostel so we definitely didn't expect the hustle and bustle associated with hostels nor the late night parties. We had actually come to Glasgow for some exams so it didn't turn out the way we expected (what with the difficulty associated with getting a place to study). But we know for sure that the next time we go to Glasgow for travels, we will definitely stay there since it's an amazing place to interact with people and the friendly staff are ever ready to help you out with any queries you may have about the place. Apparently Friday and Saturday nights are quite the party scene nights out here with even the staff joining in.
Yes, room cleanliness maybe an issue but if the people staying in the hostel followed requests and kept the luggage on the bed when going out, it would be easier for the staff to clean the rooms.
The common kitchen has it's share of problems with some of the utensils having to be cleaned if you wish to use them since others may not clean it as well as you'd like. But then again, wouldn't you wash a common utensil before using it just to be sure?
One grouch would be the lack of plug points inside the rooms (we stayed in a 4 bed room) but there are sufficient plug points in the corridors and in the common lounge.
Great staff and an even lovelier location. Will be back for sure!

Room Tip: If you wish to have wi-fi whilst in the room, check with the hostel about the rooms since some of th...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
toddP898, Manager at Bluesky Hostel, responded to this review, 15 November 2013
The power plugs are an issue we are trying to rectify. The problem is that people to force other country's plugs into UK socket and they break them. With metal beds in the dorms this is quite dangerous to have wires hanging out the wall and very expensive to fix every other day. we were forced to remove them from the large dorms for safety reasons. we do have sockets in the small dorms and private rooms.
About the cleanliness, thanks for understanding. Hosteling is about sharing and we can only be as clean as the people who are staying here.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 October 2013

I was staying in Blue Sky Hostel for a little over a week whilst finding a flat in Glasgow and I couldn't have picked any better place to do so!
It's a fine hostel with an atmospheric lounge area, the staff is very friendly and always up for going out and enjoying Glasgow with the Hostel's guests! Even now that I am living in Glasgow I regularly go back there because this place attracts all kinds of interesting and open-minded people! It's location is right near Charing Cross, which is to say you only need to walk 5 minutes and you're already in the City Centre! On the other side you have a 10 minute walk to the picturous Kelvingrove Park and the picturesque Glasgow University!

Perfect destination for Backpackers who want to see the younger side of Glasgow and looking for a good time with great people!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Florian S
toddP898, Manager at Bluesky Hostel, responded to this review, 15 November 2013
Thanks mate!
We are happy you are happy!
Uckfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 September 2013

When I arrived I was greeted by the receptionist who was very pleasant, she checked me in and told me that I'd be staying across the road in what used to be "The Grinder Centre" according to the name on the building. On first appearances the building appears abandoned but it is actually inhabited by the guests of the hostel. The room was horrible, it had dirty floors and the ceiling had clearly leaked at some point and the wallpaper was falling off etc. The bed itself was fine yes it squeaked but it was clean and I had earplugs.

Having recently paid £9 for a bed in a hostel in London in a hostel far superior I don't buy Todd's excuse that you get what you pay for! The toilet facilities were average and the same for the shower facilities. Nobody appeared to use the hot tub which was outside under a gazebo and with the glaswegian weather I can imagine why. The computers by his own admission are virus ridden, so I wouldn't recommend using them! He yells and complains at the guests who are using their computers in the lobby area etc. Me and 2 girls went to a local pub to socialise rather than hang around in the dirty room and lobby area.

In summary you get the impression that you're inconveniencing Todd by coming to his hostel, the only reason I stayed here was because I needed somewhere to sleep temporarily. I would avoid this place like the plague and recommend staying with friends or family if this is all that's on offer!

Room Tip: Try to get a room in the main hostel! Or if possible don't stay here!!!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
15 Thank Vedrina
toddP898, Manager at Bluesky Hostel, responded to this review, 23 September 2013
For one i yelled into the room as there were 20 people in there talking and i needed to be heard to tell inconsiderate people like yourself to move off the kitchen tables if you were not eating and make room for people who were sitting on the floor to eat their dinner. there were 3 of you on laptops taking all the eating space.
The communal computers are full of viruses as the guests keep turning off the virus software and im sick of turning it back on 3000 times a day. as everything that is free to public use they are used abused, use at your own risk!
Nobody used the hot tub ? so what ! who cares? its there if someone wants to use it.
you left 23 reviews for hostels and only 3 of your reviews are good ones. that says a lot.
do us all a favor and stay home next time...
Reviewed 28 August 2013 via mobile

Stayed here 10 years ago and was very unimpressed then - soggy floors, mysterious stains on the curtains. My friends and I only stayed 5 hours!

However, went to an even in Glasgow this year and the accommodation was arranged for me, this is where we stayed, and I went with an open mind...

Location - a short 15 minute walk from the city centre (or a 2 minute train journey and a 3 minute walk) so good access to shopping and attractions etc

The bunk beds:
1) there were screws missing from the beds, meaning the ladders were attached at the top bunk, but not to the bottom bunk
2) some people got mattresses, I got a block of uncovered foam, with a mattress topper.

The showers (I used the shower on the top floor):
1) the temperature control dial had fallen off the shower unit
2) the shower head was on a flexible cord, which you could move around, but there was nowhere to fix it to the wall to allow you to use both hands whilst shampooing.
3) the tiny hook on the wall to hang my towel was very loose, and nearly fell off when I placed my towel onto it
4) there was no space to leave anything in the shower cubical, I had to leave my toilet bag and clothes on the other side of the door.

All we needed for our time in Glasgow was somewhere to store our luggage during day while we were out, and a place to sleep once we got back. This hostel did provide this, at a convenient location. However, I will not be returning.

• Stayed August 2013