“They Should Have Been Paying Me To Stay Here!”
Review of Bluesky Hostel

Bluesky Hostel
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“They Should Have Been Paying Me To Stay Here!”
Reviewed 26 May 2014

I very rarely go the effort of writing reviews for anything! But I think in this instance I need to to stop people from making the same mistake as my friend and I.

Admittedly, with the exception of the reviews on tripadvisor.com it seems as if people generally have quite a good time staying here and seem to have quite a good laugh with the rest of the clientele, but that's certainly not what we experienced staying here! I've done a fair bit of travelling, especially around Malaysia and the east coast of Australia so I'm not averse to staying in hostels and generally find it quite an enjoyable experience, so I have to admit I was quite looking forward to staying here. My friend and I booked ourselves in for three nights as we had tickets for the Radio One Big Weekend gig and were looking for somewhere to stay in town.

The Blue Sky hostel can't be topped on it's location! With it being just off Charing Cross, you're a ten minute walk from Sauchiehall Street and all the bars and clubs. The main reception area looked quite kewl, and not unlike many of the hostels I've stayed in in the past. The staff were nice and after checking in she showed us to our room. However little did I know that the hostel is strewn between two buildings; the second building being just across the street from the main reception.

The second building looks derelict and as we walked down the corridor to our room I was half expecting to trip over a junkie! The eight bedded dorm itself was of a reasonable size, however it smelt foul and there was evidence of water damage all over the ceiling and around the light fittings. The beds were comfortable enough, if not a bit squeaky, and appeared to be fitted with clean enough linen. My biggest gripe with the hostel however was that it didn't feel safe! The main door to the building looked as if it consisted of nothing more than plyboard and the doors into the rooms themselves were only fitted with a single yale lock; which ordinarily wouldn't be a problem however it looked as if anybody could just walk off the street and let themselves in. Which funnily enough may or may not have happened the second night we stayed there!

After returning from the gig on Saturday I found that somebody had stole my bed. Meaning I had to top and tail with my mate! I don't know if the hostel had double booked the room or what; we couldn't tell, as the reception was closed. Which may call into question the professionalism of the place and the service you are likely to receive whilst you stay here. I had considered bringing it up to the staff the following morning, but I couldn't be bothered! I just wanted to leave. Sunday morning, we left before the sun came up. Ditching our keys in the inner door of the main building.

I've trawled through the reviews of this place, and the biggest thing that has came out of this, is this "you get what you pay for" or rather, "it's a hostel not a hotel" thing. Fair enough. Although I don't really hold with it myself. Ten quid a night is a great price, there is no denying that but this attitude seems to me to just translate into a complete disregard for it's customers. What about having a bit of pride in your work and your premises? They should be paying people to stay here rather than the other way around!

Use in case of emergencies only.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
26 Thank Debaser_14

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 May 2014

This place appeared fine on first arrival, staff were friendly, the lounge looked cosy, but the beds were squeaky and not very stable (the bottom bunk was broken and held up with a book underneath it). We did have a room to ourselves, but no power plugs in the bedroom, so had to go to the lounge just to use the plugs to charge our phones (which is annoying when you're out all day exploring). A central location to the main parts of Glasgow. The bathrooms weren't overly clean. A good spring clean would make this place that much more appealing.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
8 Thank Liz F

Travellers are raving about these Glasgow hotels

Bracknell, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2014

We got the 'Superman' room which was awfully small for three people.

Shower not working. Only three shower rooms by the way. Should I say more? Avoid at all costs.

Not recommended at all, if its a couples trip

Room Tip: Please avoid the hostel. Stay elsewhere.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
15 Thank Krishnakumar M
College Station, Texas
Reviewed 10 February 2014

This was by far the worst hostel I have ever been to! My friend and I are both good size guys and the place made us feel uncomfortable and not safe. It was so dirty that my friend and I decided to spend the night at the airport instead of sleeping in the hostel we already payed for. THEY DID NOT HAVE A LUGGAGE ROOM!!! We had to leave our bags next to check in right in the middle of the common area. It was terrible and made us feel uncomfortable the entire day. Also the hostel is split between two buildings which are across the street from each other. The building across the street looks like it could have been a crack house. Instead of a door it was a piece of plywood! DO NOT STAY HERE!

Room Tip: Stay at a different hostel.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
19 Thank 17Kearney17
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 February 2014

I stayed here with 2 friends in late November 2013 to see a concert. We are students and have stayed at several hostels throughout Europe and Asia so we were prepared to stay in a bit of a dive for the price. However, nothing could have prepared us for the absolute filth that we encountered at Bluesky Hostel. We stayed in a basement room across the street from the main hostel. The room we were staying in was occupied by 5 older eastern European men who informed us that they were actually living there. The smell was nauseating and the whole room felt damp. When we were brought into the room the staff had to clear off 3 beds for us, as the men had taken over the entire room. The beds were thin and incredibly loud - every time you rolled over the mattress creaked. This, combined with the symphony of snores that even ear plugs could not dull led to me staying up all night in the laundry room instead. The showering facilities were also appalling. They smelled like old sewage and I strongly considered going to my GP for a strong course of antibiotics after simply brushing my teeth at the sink. My friends and I checked out early and left the hostel before the sun had risen. Sleeping on the streets truly would have been better.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
16 Thank Elizabeth C
Paris, France
Reviewed 25 December 2013

Good location to access the center and bars. Use of shower was difficult. It becomes so cold or so hot. About to get burnt. Staffs were kind. They gave us free map of the city which was very useful. Worth with the price.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 14 December 2013

Stayed at BlueSky in late November whilst backpacking around Europe with a couple of mates, it was our first time in Glasgow and we would definitely come back and stay here, BlueSky had an awesome atmosphere and the staff were amazing and helpful especially when it came to booking an extra night because we missed our bus.They also don't mind a few drinks after they finished working and took us out to see Glasgow's nightlife,we would definitely recommend staying here if your backpacking don't mind a few drinks and a few laughs!(shannon went to bed early:p)

Cheers Mitch Dave Brendan

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Sweedo
toddP898, General Manager at Bluesky Hostel, responded to this review, 16 December 2013
Thanks mate!