“trip to Glasgow to pick up concert tickets”

Holiday Inn Glasgow City Centre Theatreland
Ranked #21 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
“trip to Glasgow to pick up concert tickets”
Reviewed 4 October 2013

The room was very clean and well equipped but I had a problem with getting a rubber bath mat, but I got it in the end, but I was impressed overall with the hotel itself and the staff were friendly despite the problem with the rubber bath mat, but I didn't let that little incident get me down and I enjoyed my stay there.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
AlanTaylor161, General Manager at Holiday Inn Glasgow City Centre Theatreland, responded to this review, 12 October 2013
Dear reviewer,

Thank you for your recent 5 star review of the hotel.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay. We do have a store of rubber bath mats available on request.

I do hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Alan Taylor

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (241)
Bakewell, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 September 2013

Our room was narrow and long, but comfortable and fitted our needs perfectly. Housekeeping was very good. The strongest reason is its location - perfect for the shops and restaurants of central Glasgow.

Thank you for your recent review of the hotel.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and found the room nice and clean and that you enjoyed our central location in the heart of the city centre.

I do hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 27 September 2013

It was my first time in Scotland. Location is great. Extremely clean rooms, a bit on the small side but that did not matter. It is modern and nice. You can tell they spend money on the upkeep. One of the best looking rooms in terms of that. Housekeeping does an immaculate job and even will open the window to 'air' it out for the day. The hotel is close to Starbucks and all of the shopping places, restaurants, and attractions. It is very easy to get a cab or get a bus from there. If a room is available, you can check in early and the Front Desk staff is very friendly and helpful.

For example, I needed an extension cord to plug my laptop into the wall because the ONE outlet available was too close to the wooden desk and did not provide enough room for my converter plug. Even if I did not need the converter plug, it would have never worked thanks to my Mac plug design (boxy thing you are!). So, bring your extension cord or hope that the Front Desk has one to spare. Also, the OTHER outlet was occupied by a removable hairdryer that stunk--you need to constantly push down with your thumb to make it work. If you are a woman, bring your own hairdryer. The button thing was too annoying, made it difficult to handle.

I recommend this hotel but the internet stinks and it is expensive. Wi-fi should be free in the rooms but it is not. Instead, it is an unnecessary charge that you will have to make. There is free wi-fi in the lobby but that is not good if you have to make conference calls in the privacy of your room. I bought the internet for each day and I had a hard time doing conference calls via FaceTime/Skype/Yahoo Msgr, it kept freezing and/or the sound would not work--it was on the slow side and I paid for that (about 24 pounds for 4 days, which is outrageous in U.S. dollars). Overall, I would stay there again but the internet is a nagging problem. I tried to upload pictures to Facebook and it wouldn't work. That is how bad the internet is at the hotel. You would expect more for your money. It is 2013, come on!

There is a breakfast available that is 'buffet' style and it is pretty decent. It is not cheap though. Try to get there when it is busier so that the hot food is 'fresher'. I enjoyed the breakfast but I couldn't take advantage of it on the weekend because it doesn't start until 7:30AM (weekdays it is available beginning at 6:30AM), which is ridiculous. I planned a day trip to the Highlands and I left for it starving. There was no time to eat when you had to get on a bus half a mile or so away at 7:45AM. Also, I didn't see much of anything open that 'early' in the morning.

Pros: Location, cleanliness, helpful Front Desk staff, modern, great French restaurant (you might want to make a reservation or you can wait 45 mins even when it is half empty), there is a bar/lounge area, and breakfast when you can catch it. Also, complimentary instant coffee/tea and cookies (yum) provided in room with water kettle. Don't forget, comfy bed and lots of TV channels.

Cons: Crap expensive internet and rooms facing the movie theater/bus stop can be noisy, but on a Friday or Saturday it is very loud (and I live downtown and I like noise). Also, there are gross British beans served at a pricey breakfast that is generally good overall. The outlet situation is bad in the room. None in the bathroom except for a space reserved for some mens' shaver thing (??). The worst of all, no coffee/cappuccino served at the bar after dinner service is over--ridiculous. However, there is plenty of beer/wine available at late hours.

Overall, I would stay there again. It is a GREAT HOTEL. The internet was the biggest problem for me, especially if you want to video chat and/or upload pictures. The rest were just some nagging issues that can be overcome by being prepared ahead of time, aside from the crap internet which was ridiculously expensive.

Room Tip: Stay away from the side facing the movie theater. On the weekends, it is very loud.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Dear reviewer,

Thank you for reviewing the hotel in detail.

I do realise the plugs are not in the best location for modern larger plugs that have adaptors fitted to them, we always keep a supply of extension cables for that very reason and are always happy to bring them to your room if required.

The wifi we have recently invested in and I was surprised to read that you had trouble uploading to facebook. I will certainly have our service provider look into this issue. We currently offer 1 hour free per day and a cost of £5.99 for 24 hours. We will be moving to free WIFI in January for all of our IHG rewards card holders.

I was delighted to read that overall you find it a great hotel and sorry that the WIFI was such a letdown, I will investigate that as I said we have invested in our WIFI and it should run at a good speed.

I do hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 26 September 2013 via mobile

Stayed last weekend. Paid 30 pounds to upgrade from a standard room. I thought I would be getting a better room. I was very dissapointed, bathroom was tiny. Room was quite small. Cooked breakfast was cold both mornings. Cold plates too. Comfy bed and very close to bus station, nice staff. Overall a bit over priced.

• Stayed September 2013
AlanTaylor161, General Manager at Holiday Inn Glasgow City Centre Theatreland, responded to this review, 11 October 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for your recent review of the hotel.

I was sorry to read that you didn’t find the hotel value for money. Our executive rooms are larger than a standard room. The bathrooms are all the same size and have been recently refurbished.

I have passed on your comments about your experience in our breakfast room to our head chefs who will action the points that you have made.

I hope to welcome you back to the hotel and restore your faith in the hotel.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 September 2013

My 5th stay in this great hotel. Great location, Great atmosphere, Great welcome.
Comfortable well appointed room, super bathroom with heated towel rail - that's great on an otherwise chilly morning - to wrap in warmth after a shower! The Bonne Auberge restaurant is a wonderful experience with friendly professional service and truly great food. Not fussy and all freshly cooked! Will continue to recommend this hotel if it keeps up these great standard. Well worth the money - there are always good deal too.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
AlanTaylor161, General Manager at Holiday Inn Glasgow City Centre Theatreland, responded to this review, 18 October 2013
Dear Martin,

Thank you for your review of the hotel.

I was delighted that you enjoyed your stay and rated us 5 stars! It was also great to read that you enjoyed the full La Bonne Auberge experience, this also rates highly on tripadvisor.

Again thank you for taking the time to review the hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Newcastle
Reviewed 22 September 2013

The hotel is well situated with the Theatre Royal a 5 minute walk away and loads of restaurants and bars close by. All the staff we talked to were extremely pleasant and helpful and the bar and restaurant have a far more intimate feel to them compared to the usual hotel chain sterility. One tip is that the hotel does not have parking but there is a multi story literally across the road for which you get an overnight discounted rate if you get the car park ticket validated at the hotel reception.

Dear guest,

Thank you for your recent review of the hotel.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay here and found the staff extremely pleasant and helpful.

We hope to welcome you back in the future.

coleraine northern ireland
Reviewed 15 September 2013

Just back from a stay in this hotel we arrived at 9 am in the morning they had a room ready so witch was handy the staff at this hotel could not do enough for you so friendly the room was spotless and clean bed was comfy as well. And the hotel is so handy to the shops I have stayed in A lot of hotels in Glasgow this is up there with the best of them

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
AlanTaylor161, General Manager at Holiday Inn Glasgow City Centre Theatreland, responded to this review, 17 September 2013
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your recent 5 star review of the hotel.

It was great to read that we got the room nice and early for you and that the staff could not do enough for you. Thank you again for your high praise an we look forward to welcoming you back some time in the future.