“Noise from Parties”

Ranked #21 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
Northampton, United Kingdom
“Noise from Parties”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2013

I have stayed at this hotel many times on business and leisure.
It is a good standard and the restaurant is good value for money with service at a good level.

Last weekend however we stayed for a shopping trip on the third floor (room 305) and the noise from the christmas parties in the function room was so bad it kept us awake until 1.00am at least with the noise level being so bad it was easy even in the room to identify the songs!
We were not advised of this at check in and having paid £139 for a 'feature room' there did not appear to be much of a price concession for the impact of this. I appreciate that it is the party season but the facilities of this hotel are limited as a function facility and it showed at the weekend.

The worst part however was on checkout I mentioned the issue to the receptionist who replied with a straight face 'was the music good'. Whilst I applaud her sense of humour it wasn't really professional.

I am a little disappointed that at this time of year the hotel puts a little bit of profit gained from functions ahead of the comfort of paying guests who have stayed there many times before.

Sadly it will be the Hilton next time as I would rather have a 10 minute walk into town with a good nights sleep.

Room Tip: If you want a good nights sleep and you are at the front left of the hotel check with reception on c...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
AlanTaylor161, General Manager at Holiday Inn Glasgow City Centre Theatreland, responded to this review, 23 December 2013

Thank you for your review of the hotel

I was sorry to hear that you had disturbances from Christmas party nights. If you had asked at any point during your stay, we would have been able to move you to an alternative room.

I have checked with the receptionist that you mention in your review that they were not very professional. She said the conversation she was having with you was of a very relaxed nature and if she has misinterpreted your mood then she is very sorry. It was not in any way her intention to come across this way.

If you are coming to Glasgow again I would urge you to contact me directly and I will ensure you have a fantastic stay at the hotel.

Kind Regards

Alan Taylor

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013 via mobile

Location came as a surprise as I thought it would be very near to the train station but is not. Dragging a suitcase uphill through the busy shopping street and pebbled road is not easy.

Room is basic with soft bed and a choice of soft or firm pillows but awkward furniture that suitcase can't be put luggage cabinet even with a tiny one.

Noise from workmen wheeling something at 7am was quite annoying. Breakfast was simple and could do a bit better.

Must mention is all staff are very friendly and helpful. They saw us on our way out and asked if we needed a map.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
AlanTaylor161, General Manager at Holiday Inn Glasgow City Centre Theatreland, responded to this review, 17 December 2013

Thank you for your review of the hotel

I was surprised you did not think our location was not central enough. We are 30 seconds walk from the Buchanan Street bus station, 5 minutes walk from Queen Street Station or 10 minutes from Central Station. Glasgow is a very large city so we are as central as you can be.

I was sorry you had some noise disturbances during your stay. Due to our central location we it is difficult to escape the city centre noises that can occur.

Thank you for mentioning the staff who you found friendly and helpful. We have an excellent team and they are regularly praised for the friendliness and customer service,

Once again thank you for the review and I hope to welcome you back in the future.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2013

Stay here on a regular basis, convenient and always pretty decent.
As a platinum member usually get an upgrade but this time booked executive room.was in a first floor suite which was ok-no more no less.
As always staff polite and efficient, breakfast decent.
You get what you pay for is how I would best describe this hotel

Room Tip: Try get room at rear of hotel always quieter
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Dear reviewer,

Thank you for your fourth review of the hotel.

As a platinum member we do always try our best to get you upgraded to one of our executive rooms. It’s great to read that you always find the staff polite and efficient. I have a great team at the hotel that work hard to ensure all our guests have an excellent stay.

Once again tanks for the review. Hopefully the next time we see you again is the cup final weekend.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2013

This is fine - clean, a little cramped in the bedroom but OK, reasonable bar area, quite close to the railway station. Quite soul-less, but functional and handy for a travel stop-over. Try not to mix up with the neighbouring Holiday Inn Express (just up the road), which we initially tried to book into by mistake....

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
AlanTaylor161, General Manager at Holiday Inn Glasgow City Centre Theatreland, responded to this review, 9 December 2013

Thank you for your review of the hotel.

I was surprised by your comments regarding La Bonne Auberge as soul-less it has recently been refurbished and is usually a busy city centre brassiere that also rate highly on trip advisor.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

derbyshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2013

This city centre hotel has so much going for it. Its superb location, only ten minutes walk from Glasgow Central Station; one minute walk from the Bus Station; two minutes from John Lewis and the other major stores in the Buchanan Galleries shopping centre; right across the road from a large Cineworld.
We arrived early but our room was ready. Rooms are compact but have everything you need, king sized extremely comfortable bed; en-suite with shower and half bath, desk, 2 chairs, large flat screen TV with Sky Sports, free WIFI.
It was bitterly cold so we decided to stay in the hotel and eat in the brasserie which had a reasonable fixed price menu (Two courses £18.95). I had the sea bass which was perfectly cooked and came with sauté potatoes, spinach and a buttery sauce. My partner had the chargrilled lemon & thyme chicken, served with dauphinoise, beans & carrots and for dessert we had a delicious sticky toffee pudding and a vanilla pannacotta with Kirsch soaked cherries. Washed down with a couple of glasses of a very palatable red and we went to bed happy! Breakfast is standard hotel buffet fare with eggs cooked to order. I would definitely stay here again. Bed & breakfast for 2 was just £76.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your 5 star review of the hotel.

I was delighted to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay and found us great value for money.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Carrickfergus, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2013

Back again to Holiday Inn. I had booked an executive room. The room was pleasant enough. Although the windows are not sealed. I could actually feel a draft coming in. Also the noise of the traffic and I was on the fourth floor. The bathroom is very small. The sink is tiny, and I decided to try the bath. I thought I was going to be stuck in it. I couldn't get out of it as it is so small. I found some of the staff friendly. others not so. I did have a bug-bear. I am a Platinum member, and thought I would receive extra treats as in voucher for extra points. I had to ask for it to be forthcoming. I also foolishly though I would have complimentary access to the mini bar. I received a complimentary bottle of water and some biscuits. I asked if I could have a bottle of water the next day. I was told only 1 bottle per stay. I did not eat breakfast in the Restaurant.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
AlanTaylor161, General Manager at Holiday Inn Glasgow City Centre Theatreland, responded to this review, 16 December 2013

Thank you for your review of the hotel.

I am sorry to read that there was a problem with your window, if you had reported this to our reception team, they would have got this fixed of it we had been unable to correct the problem we would have immediately moved you to an alternative room.

As a platinum member we offer Free WIFI, complimentary upgrade to an executive room and either bonus points or a free drink and snack at the bar.

Should you be returning to the hotel, please contact myself directly and I make the booking for you.

Durham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2013

We stayed for two nights at this hotel in one of the themed rooms. The room itself was very pleasant, clean, well maintained and comfortable. Nice touches included slippers, complementary water and a Tunnocks caramel wafer (bit of an argument there - there were two of us in the room) as well as the usual tea, coffee and biscuits (pack of three, shared between two of us).
The themed room was on the second floor and had a large bay window. Downside is that traffic was noisy to say the least. Sirens, road sweepers, road workers, delivery vans all conspired against us.
Breakfast was a superb selection of fruit, cereals, full Scottish etc with fresh pancakes or poached/fried/boiled eggs made upon request. As per another reviewer, I also found that some items were not hot - particularly those near the edge like the tomatoes, black pudding and haggis.
It has to be said that the staff here are excellent. Proper service, pleasant and no quibbling. Great job here.
Would we stay again? Yes, the location is excellent, but I'd ask for a quieter room.

Room Tip: Quiet would be good.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review of the hotel.

I was delighted to read that overall you enjoyed your stay and the highlight of your stay was the staff.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future and thank you again for taking the time to review the hotel.