“Excellent food and great service.” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Holiday Inn Glasgow City Centre Theatreland
Ranked #23 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent food and great service.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2014

Great hotel, lovely staff. Brilliant bed and the temperature of the room was perfect. Central location made the shopping trips easy. Local to great Indian restaurants. all in all couldn't fault this hotel. We will certainly be returning.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
AlanTaylor161, General Manager at Holiday Inn Glasgow City Centre Theatreland, responded to this review, 2 March 2014

Thank you for your recent review of the hotel.

It was great to read that you enjoyed your stay and that you would certainly use us again.

Alan Taylor

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
Leeds
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2014

Started off badly and didn't get much better. Was met by a grumpy workman who had the main entrance blocked off doing repairs. Was told. "use the side entrance" after wandering right round the hotel I met a nice guy putting some rubbish out who took me to a restaurant entrance which turned out to be the side entrance. Unless you knew the place you wouldn't have any idea! Checked in ok but no details of anything given and pointed out the lift. You have to put your card in to make it work. This wasn't explained and there is no sign on you just have to work it out!
Room was ok but massively overdone the mirrors there everywhere! I do hate though hotel rooms with dingy lighting and no central light. The bathroom also had a musty damp smell.
I went out for a meal and came back to the hotel 10.30 ish. The bar only had about 5 people in but the service was agonisingly slow. The bar man was taken up making a coffee but he didn't even acknowledge me for some time. To cap it all they started vacuuming at about 11.45. Didn't exactly make me feel wanted so I and all the others in the bar left.
Breakfast was ok, nothing special basic buffet but I have eaten warmer food.
When I checked out no mention was made of the car parking, if you get your ticket validated on leaving apparently you save a considerable amount on the car park opposite. I only found this out when talking to a colleague on my return.
They advertise this as a boutique hotel. It certainly isn't. Too many little things get missed and fall short. Staff could do a lot more.
The location is really the only thing I could give anything other than 3 stars for. Its brilliantly centrally located.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
AlanTaylor161, General Manager at Holiday Inn Glasgow City Centre Theatreland, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
Dear reviewer,

Thank you for your review of the hotel.

Unfortunately when you arrived we had an outside contractor repairing our front doors. I am very sorry if they were not polite and explain where the alternative entrance was. Although they are not hotel members of staff when they are working in this hotel they should have the same high standards of customer service that the hotel staff employ.

Both our lifts are card operated for security purposes and our receptionist would always mention this during check in. There are also signs in both lifts telling guests how to use the card reader.

The bedrooms have 2 side lights and a lamp on the desk. There is also a main light at the entrance of the room.

I was sorry to read that overall you didn’t enjoy your stay. As you can see on this site, we are usually highly rated for service and product.

I hope if you are returning to Glasgow again you will choose to stay at the hotel so we welcome you back.

Kind Regards
Inverness
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

We booked through Hotwire as we needed a central place to stay in valentines weekend but as it was a practical (not so much romantic!) trip we weren't too bothered which hotel as long as it was decent quality and price. It came out it was this holiday inn and I'm glad it was! The hotel is very central with an NCp car park across the road which is very handy (and the road it is on takes you straight to the motorway again!). The rooms are small but very clean and reasonably modern. We didn't have breakfast at the hotel so can't comment but cocktails in the bar were good before we went out for food at night. Overall we would be happy to book this as a first choice in future.

• Stayed February 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
AlanTaylor161, General Manager at Holiday Inn Glasgow City Centre Theatreland, responded to this review, 25 February 2014

Thank you for your recent review of the hotel.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and found the rooms clean and modern.

Thank you again for your comments.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014

Stayed here after booking through secret escapes for £70, apparently saving £20 for valentines. First impressions were ok. Nice big well staffed reception. Checked in quickly. Receptionist very friendly. Was advised we didn't have breakfast and asked if we would like to add this on so we did, regrettably, as at £18 it was not worth it! Our room on the second floor was small and very cold... Not a nice arrival when your cold and wet. I accept this is a busy city but the noise proofing is non existent! Could feel a cold daught coming from the window also. Remote control didn't work had to use my own batteries. Spent the night out in the town and came back a little tipsy and was still bothered by outside noise. Was woken at about half 8 with the fire alarm goin off and the building being evacuated. Breakfast was buffet style and wasn't nice. Cold and greasy. Check out was quick efficient and again very friendly. Allowing us to leave our case while we went out. Location is fantastic

• Stayed February 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Thank you for your recent review of the hotel.

I was sorry to read that you found the windows draughty and the remote not working, if you had brought up any of these issues during your stay our staff would have been more than happy to help you.

I was sorry to read that you didn’t find the full buffet breakfast value for money at £9 per person we believe this to be great value for a full buffet and is usually the highlight of guests stay.

Unfortunately we cannot control our fire alarm. The safety of our guests and staff is paramount and it is therefore hotel procedure to evacuate the building as soon as the alarm is triggered. On this occasion it was a false alarm and the full procedure took less than 5 minutes.
It was great to read that you enjoyed our central location and friendly staff.

Thank you again for your comments and I hope that this does not deter you from trying the Holiday Inn Glasgow Theatreland again.

Penrith, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

It served its purpose for me whilst on training with work. Windows in my room were draughty, very thin walls as I could hear the guests next door and bathroom smelt a bit funny! I can commend the hotel on their very friendly staff though. If I were visiting on holiday purposes I would definitely try seek out somewhere a bit more special as I don't think this is worth the money.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for your recent review of the hotel.

I was sorry to read that you found the windows draughty and the bathroom with a funny smell.

If you had brought up any of these issues during your stay our staff would have been more than happy to help you. It was great to read that you found the staff friendly.

Thank you again for your comments.

Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014

I stayed here one Saturday night in February and found the hotel to be clean and comfortable.

This was my second stay to this particular hotel, the first being approximately two years ago. On arrival there was no queue at reception and I was checked in quickly and efficiently with directions to my room provided and I was also asked if I would like a table for dinner.

The room was in the fourth floor and was facing the street. Since my last visit the rooms have been refurbished (Very recently from observation), in particular the bathroom which was very clean and well presented.

In the evening I ordered food from room service which was delivered promptly and had been freshly prepared.

During the night I slept well and found the bed to be comfortable. Internally there were no disturbances, however there was some noise throughout the night. Back home the area is also quite noisy throughout the night therefore this did not bother me, however if you are a light sleeper it may be better to request a room to the rear of the hotel. It is Glasgow City Centre though and it was a Saturday night so noise should be expected.

Breakfast in the morning was very nice with an excellent choice available which was fresh and also tasted very nice.

Overall the stay was pleasant whilst the room was clean and comfortable. I would be happy to stay again in the future.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper it might be better to request a room to the rear, especially at weekends.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Chris M
AlanTaylor161, General Manager at Holiday Inn Glasgow City Centre Theatreland, responded to this review, 11 February 2014
Dear reviewer,

Thank you for your detailed review of the hotel.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed all aspects your stay from our excellent location to our clean rooms.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Rhondda Cynon Taff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014

Only 2 minutes walk from the centre of Glasgow with all the shops and bars and railway stations. 15 minutes from airport. Carpark opposite @ reasonable rates.
Nice size hotel (not too big). Rooms are clean and well maintained.
Good choice at breakfast and good service
Used conference facilities on a few occasions, good price and well served.

Room Tip: Ask for room facing front of hotel. Back rooms a bit dark
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank welshone03

Thank you for your recent review of the hotel.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and our central location.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.