“Hotel does not live up to its rating”

Holiday Inn Glasgow City Centre Theatreland
Ranked #21 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
London, United Kingdom
“Hotel does not live up to its rating”
Reviewed 4 May 2014

My room was very small, the double bed I had requested filled most of it. It was a corner room with two windows, which made it nice and light but left only space for a little corner wardrobe (lots of good hangers) with a small TV above it. Nowhere to put luggage after I had unpacked it on the bed, no armchair or coffee table. On the plus side, the hairdryer was by a good mirror over the shelf that doubles as a workbench/dressing table so I did not have to dry my hair standing up in the bathroom as is all too common. Tea/coffee making equipment but no safe nor fridge/minibar.
I was very chilly all the time despite wrestling with the controls for the air con/heating. I was glad of the duvet, something I usually find too hot. Despite the two windows overlooking a busy road, I was not too disturbed by traffic noise as I had feared from reading earlier reviews. The mattress was good but the pillows were horrible (synthetic).
Bathroom has the shower inside the bath which I find hazardous and (extraordinarily) NO TOILETRIES apart from liquid soap in dispensers on the wall.
Free wifi was included in my package but otherwise is charged after the first hour/day unless you belong to their loyalty club (worth joining for that alone).
Breakfast was good, a British buffet with some dishes (e.g. eggs, kipper fillets) cooked to order but dinner and lunch in the same venue (La Bonne Auberge) were average (see separate review). The eating area looks more like a pub/bar than a restaurant.
Reception staff were welcoming and efficient on arrival and check-out, and my luggage was securely stored while I was out for the morning. However they were totally absent when I was leaving mid-afternoon and needed a taxi; I was rather stressed as I could not find a taxi on then street and feared missing my pre-booked train.
I was booked here purely as the hotel is very close to the venue for my morning engagement (I was not paying my own bill).
Overall a disappointing experience for a well regarded chain. I expected better from my Holiday Inn experiences in other countries.
There is a Holiday Inn Express next door which may be better value. I have stayed in the past at the Millenium which is a longer walk from where I was working but in a different league altogether, and I shall ask to stay there the next time.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Humanitarian-Loggie
AlanTaylor161, General Manager at Holiday Inn Glasgow City Centre Theatreland, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Dear reviewer,

Thank you for your recent review of the hotel.

There is space for luggage storage under the desk that you mention in your review. All our rooms are fully air conditioned and these units also heat the rooms is well.

I am sorry you felt disappointed with your stay and if you had brought up any of these issues at the time our front desk staff would have been more than happy to help you.

I do hope that this has not deterred you from staying again and i would hope to welcome you back in the future.

Alan Taylor

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (241)
Reviewed 3 May 2014

I booked at the last minute by phone. I had no email access, so received a text confirmation. All done in 5 minutes. Check-in was excellent with extremely friendly and efficient staff who made me feel welcome. The room was well-appointed, clean, and comfortable. Breakfast was excellent with a wide range of choices. Check-out was as check-in -efficient and friendly. Would definitely book here again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Colin C
Dear Colin,

Thank you for your recent 5 star review of the hotel!

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and you found the staff extremely helpful. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I was making a quick tour of Scotland and during my time in Glasgow, I stayed at the Holiday Inn. The location of the hotel was ideal for my purposes. The staff were a big help in getting me around to see the things I asked about. The restaurant was first rate. I really enjoyed my time in Glasgow.
The only negative is that I didn't have more time to spend there.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Dear Jack,

Thank you for your recent 5 star review of the hotel!

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Blairgowrie, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed here a Saturday night in November with my boyfriend for a night away

Lovely welcoming staff, nice clean welcoming room - fresh towels comfy beds and clean bathroom.

Never ate in hotel but food looked lovely, staff when also good in telling us places to go nice and quiet hotel even with it being right in the centre of Glasgow

Will definitely stay here again if back in Glasgow, thanks for the lovely stay

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
AlanTaylor161, General Manager at Holiday Inn Glasgow City Centre Theatreland, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Dear reviewer,

Thank you for your recent 5 star review!

It was great to read that your stay in November was so memorable. We look forward to welcoming you back to Glasgow soon.

Glasgow
Reviewed 16 April 2014 via mobile

Went here for a 50th birthday party function and if was lovely. The staff were very attentive and nothing was too much trouble. The hot buffet was really lovely too and we weren't hurried from the premises at the end of the night. Would go again and also consider hiring for a function.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
AlanTaylor161, General Manager at Holiday Inn Glasgow City Centre Theatreland, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Dear reviewer,

Thank you for your recent 5 star review of the hotel. I was delighted to read that you really enjoyed your birthday here.

Reviewed 16 April 2014

We stayed in the hotel at the beginning if April this year, ideally positioned - next to the concert hall ( we had tickets for the ballet), the cinema, restaurants and the shopping centre.
Therefore a great base for exploring the city.
Room was comfortable (noisy as you could hear buses, cars and sirens continuously - obviously a busy city, however investing in better windows / thick curtains could muffle the noise), the view from our room was a multi storey car park!
Generally the staff were pleasant and eager to help, however an incident at breakfast when I ordered green tea, but was given lemon tea, gave a poor impression. When I asked the server to exchange it for plain green tea, I was informed this was the only green tea available. I mentioned I had been given a pot of green tea the morning before, the sever told me the lemon tea was green tea so what was the difference! I requested again a pot of green tea, the server left "found some" and plonked it in front of me without a word. Although I realise this is a minor complaint, it does spoil the "treat" value of a hotel stay.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Karen,

Thank you for your recent review of the hotel. It was great to read that you enjoyed our central location for your trip to Glasgow.

I was sorry to read of the incident at breakfast, I have shared your review with the team to help us improve.

Pembroke, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Nice hotel, great location, staff very helpful, we were there for a family function, think the family took up most of the first floor. There was 60 of us at the function. Most of which stayed at the hotel, we stayed 2 nights had a meal in hotel the night we arrived, nice food but very expensive, the breakfast is buffet style which was very nice try the haggis it was realy nice, beds were soft so not very good for any of the party with bad backs, pillows were also very soft as well. Overall a nice stay. Public car park across the road get your ticket stamped by hotel it means the car park is capped at £12 for 24hrs

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Dear reviewer,

Thank you for your recent review of the hotel. I was delighted to read that you and your family enjoyed your stay at the hotel. All our rooms have a choice of soft or firm pillows and we also offer feather pillows on request.