“Not the best Holiday Inn in the world”

Holiday Inn Glasgow City Centre Theatreland
Ranked #21 of 95 Hotels in Glasgow
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Not the best Holiday Inn in the world”
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Staff are very friendly but rooms are very small and can be noisy if you get the wrong one. I was on the 4th floor which might have been good for traffic but unfortunately being above the kitchen extraction fans was like trying to get to sleep and being woken up by a jet engine. One of the lifts is out of order which can mean an added wait for lifts.

Location is okay. I didn't use the car park opposite but rather one about 5 minutes away (q-park on Bath St) which was closer to my client.

Room Tip: Might be best to have a room on the road side of the building.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
AlanTaylor161, General Manager at Holiday Inn Glasgow City Centre Theatreland, responded to this review, 25 May 2014

Thank you for your recent review of the hotel.

I was sorry to read that your sleep was disrupted by kitchen fans. All our rooms are double glazed and we are looking into getting secondary glazing installed throughout the hotel shortly, this will greatly increase the soundproofing in the bedrooms.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Alan Taylor

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (238)
Dumfries, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 May 2014

As a wheelchair user I usually book the accessible room but this time I wanted to make it a special night. I booked the suite but was told the lift did not go up to them, so we stayed in a feature room. It was nice, very nice but not perfect, for me.

On the plus side: the staff were all very nice, friendly and helpful. It was very clean and pretty quiet considering the location. Its great for the Royal concert hall and you are spoilt for places to eat.

On the downside: The ensuite was very small. I could not get my wheelchair in, so if you can not transfer easily, its not a room to consider. The lift was pretty small and the car park is a reasonable push away.

We really enjoyed our stay and would certainly stay there again when we are next up for a gig.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your recent review of the hotel.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and would definitely return.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 19 May 2014

A leaking air conditioner, broken lights, no internet, what could have been a disastrous experience was saved by an efficient engineer who had it all fixed in a jiffy. Yes the rooms are small, but the location makes up for it and the staff are generally courteous and friendly. Parking is available across the street and the hotel has an arrangement that means that the maximum fee is 12 pounds, a great saving. Breakfast was a disappointment for 9 pounds, with lukewarm food and overcooked eggs kept in a bai Marie, after the first morning we went elsewhere for breakfast, the tearooms were a good choice. Maybe if we had requested a cooked to order breakfast the situation would have been different, however this was never offered and it wasn't easily seen that it was available.

Thank you for your recent review of the hotel.

I was sorry to read that you had a couple of faults in your room, but delighted to read that they were quickly addressed.

We do hope to welcome you back in the future.

Belfast
Reviewed 11 May 2014

I usually stay in the Holiday Inn express when I am in Glasgow and find they are cheap and cheerful and deliver on their promises. This week I was booked into the Holiday Inn and am not sure why you would choose this hotel over an Express ( especially when there is one next door). The experience is comparable except the Express hotels are more modern. The rooms are very dated but have all you need.
Breakfast area is nice and the choice is good. There is a much better range than at the Express hotels but it is free there.
Wifi is chargeable where it is free in the Express hotels which seems a bit much. The connection is good mind you.
Staff are extremely welcoming and happy to help so if you can't get into the Express versions they alone make it worth the trip.

1 Thank Caroline M
AlanTaylor161, General Manager at Holiday Inn Glasgow City Centre Theatreland, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for leaving a review after your recent stay. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay at the hotel. With regards to the wifi we do give all guests 1 hour free and then it is £5.99 for 24 hours. From July wifi will be free for IHG Rewards members. IHG Rewards is free to join so if you sign up on check in you will get wifi for free. I am luck to have a great team at the hotel who made you welcome throughout your stay. Once gain thank your for the review and I look forward to either welcoming you back here or to our sister hotel the Holiday Inn Express.

Regards
Fyti, Paphos, Cyprus
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Was initially disappointed that there was no on site car park BUT there is one just 100 metres away and the staff provided a voucher for a very reasonable discount for 24 hour parking so it was no great hardship.
Wonderful welcome from extremely efficient and friendly staff and we were fortunate enough to be allocated a disabled room (though WE were not!!) and appreciated the extra room. Accommodation was clean and tidy with WiFi available for free.
Splendid location for the City Centre just a few minutes walk away and an excellent breakfast, at no extra cost with a very good choice.
Will definitely stay here again

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay. We have managed to negotiate a discounted price for hotel guests the Concert Square car park just across the road.

Once again thank you for the review and I hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Regards
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 May 2014

My room was very small, the double bed I had requested filled most of it. It was a corner room with two windows, which made it nice and light but left only space for a little corner wardrobe (lots of good hangers) with a small TV above it. Nowhere to put luggage after I had unpacked it on the bed, no armchair or coffee table. On the plus side, the hairdryer was by a good mirror over the shelf that doubles as a workbench/dressing table so I did not have to dry my hair standing up in the bathroom as is all too common. Tea/coffee making equipment but no safe nor fridge/minibar.
I was very chilly all the time despite wrestling with the controls for the air con/heating. I was glad of the duvet, something I usually find too hot. Despite the two windows overlooking a busy road, I was not too disturbed by traffic noise as I had feared from reading earlier reviews. The mattress was good but the pillows were horrible (synthetic).
Bathroom has the shower inside the bath which I find hazardous and (extraordinarily) NO TOILETRIES apart from liquid soap in dispensers on the wall.
Free wifi was included in my package but otherwise is charged after the first hour/day unless you belong to their loyalty club (worth joining for that alone).
Breakfast was good, a British buffet with some dishes (e.g. eggs, kipper fillets) cooked to order but dinner and lunch in the same venue (La Bonne Auberge) were average (see separate review). The eating area looks more like a pub/bar than a restaurant.
Reception staff were welcoming and efficient on arrival and check-out, and my luggage was securely stored while I was out for the morning. However they were totally absent when I was leaving mid-afternoon and needed a taxi; I was rather stressed as I could not find a taxi on then street and feared missing my pre-booked train.
I was booked here purely as the hotel is very close to the venue for my morning engagement (I was not paying my own bill).
Overall a disappointing experience for a well regarded chain. I expected better from my Holiday Inn experiences in other countries.
There is a Holiday Inn Express next door which may be better value. I have stayed in the past at the Millenium which is a longer walk from where I was working but in a different league altogether, and I shall ask to stay there the next time.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Humanitarian-Loggie
AlanTaylor161, General Manager at Holiday Inn Glasgow City Centre Theatreland, responded to this review, 5 May 2014

Thank you for your recent review of the hotel.

There is space for luggage storage under the desk that you mention in your review. All our rooms are fully air conditioned and these units also heat the rooms is well.

I am sorry you felt disappointed with your stay and if you had brought up any of these issues at the time our front desk staff would have been more than happy to help you.

I do hope that this has not deterred you from staying again and i would hope to welcome you back in the future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 May 2014

I booked at the last minute by phone. I had no email access, so received a text confirmation. All done in 5 minutes. Check-in was excellent with extremely friendly and efficient staff who made me feel welcome. The room was well-appointed, clean, and comfortable. Breakfast was excellent with a wide range of choices. Check-out was as check-in -efficient and friendly. Would definitely book here again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Colin C
Dear Colin,

Thank you for your recent 5 star review of the hotel!

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and you found the staff extremely helpful. We hope to welcome you back soon.