“Great location - but take your ear-plugs”

Holiday Inn Glasgow City Centre Theatreland
Ranked #21 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
Birmingham
“Great location - but take your ear-plugs”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2009

For a three-night stay in Glasgow, this hotel was just right. 2 minutes walk from Buchanan Street bus station (the bus from the airport drops you here) and right on the edge of the city centre with all its attractions. The staff are pleasant and helpful; the room was comfortable (on the small side, though) with good bed and bathroom - plentiful tea and coffee facilities; excellent breakfasts. The big down-side, mentioned by other reviewers, is the noise from the street outside. I asked when checking in for a room facing away from the street but none were available; the receptionist did put us on a higher floor but the effect of minimising street noise was minimal. We had to keep the window shut all the time, and air-con on, which was quite noisy too! So do pack some ear-plugs as you'll probably need them.

However, I'd happily stay here again - it's so central, it's clean and well run, the breakfast is excellent, and for this price it's a good deal.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
HolidayInnGlasgow, Manager at Holiday Inn Glasgow City Centre Theatreland, responded to this review, 4 August 2009
Thank you for your review which I was delighted to read. Unfortunately as the hotel was busy during your stay, we were unable to accommodate your request for a quiet room. Should you choose to return to the hotel in the future, please do not hesitate to contact the hotel in advance to request this, which will give us the best pportunity to be able to help you.

Kind regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
Market Deeping, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2009

Stayed at the hotel for two nights as I had business in the area. Not the first time at this hotel either. The Scottish tourism authority give this hotel a four thistle rating. No way Jose I'm afraid. Just an average three from me, I hasten to add however that it would have been four stars if it were not for some of the guest rooms and their location. It's great if, as previous reviewers have mentioned you have a suite or one of the bigger rooms however I was in one of the small rooms which are only just big enough but have very dark interiors with dark wood. The pictures on the web site are very misleading as they are obviously 'lit'. Every time I have stayed here I have been given one of these rooms and every time it's been one overlooking Renfrew Street. This is not good as the noise can be very intrusive. Opposite is the vast cinema complex and every bus in Glasgow appears to run up this road with all the associated noise and late night 'people' activity. There is double glazing but it does little to stop the noise. All floors have some rooms in this situation and they run from roughly 127-141 and so on. Rooms overlooking West Nile Street fare very much better. You have been warned. On the plus the staff were all excellent and public areas very clean and tidy. the 'French' themed restaurant was very good but so it should be as it's not cheap. Bar meals appear to be available and the hotel has free wi-fi which is great. Hotel is very well located for walking around the tourist hot spots, theatre, concert hall, shopping etc. Note that there appears to be no vehicle parking at the hotel. If you want a good nights sleep either insist on a room which is inward facing or on West Nile Street or stay elsewhere. I personally have now had enough of being put in one of the noisy rooms and will insist my employer puts me somewhere else, if there is a next time! With regards to the question "Would I recommend this hotel to a friend?" Yes, but only on the room proviso.

1 Thank DaveRuss
Thank you for your review.

Unfortunately due to the hotel's central location ,as you correctly state, there are some rooms which are noisier than others. None of our executive rooms are located on Renfrew Street, so if you do decide to return, may I suggest that you reserve this type of room. Alternatively, if you contact the hotel a few days prior to arrival and request a room away from the street and we will endeavour to honour your request.

With regards to parking, the hotel does not have it's own facility, but does offer discounted rates at two nearby public car parks for your convenience.

I am delighted that you enjoyed other elements of your visit and thank you once again for taking the time to feedback.

Durham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2009

Had a 2 nite break and had a fab time, lovely room with big comfy sofa. No view from window, but did not matter! Great shopping, Royal Concert Hall a stones throw away. Staff were excellent, food lovely, and late breakfast/checkout at noon is great. Even went back to room at 10.30am and had a friend join us for coffee whilst we packed....even had a jug of milk brought up....a big thank you deserved. Will be back!

1 Thank Sandra W
Thank you for your very positive review following your visit to the hotel. It is a pleasure to hear when a guest has thoroughly enjoyed their stay and I am delighted you took the time to share your experience.

kind regards
Bakewell, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2009

Stayed here for one night for a mixture of business and pleasure and had a very comfortable stay. The location is slap bang in the middle of central Glasgow and it suited my needs perfectly. Dinner exceed my expectations - the fish soup was excellent. (Although I would be surprised to learn that the roll had been made from freshly made dough on the premises - this was the meals only disappointment). The pecan pie was delicious, and great coffee to go with it. My bedroom was spotless, so full marks to housekeeping. Will definitely return!

1 Thank Richard N
Thank you for your very positive feedback following your stay at the hotel. I am delighted that you had an enjoyable stay with us and enjoyed your meal in our restaurant - I will be certain to pass on your comments to the chef.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

scotland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2009

We booked this hotel because we wanted somewhere in the centre so were well prepared for the level of noise that we would encounter and actually kept the windows closed and used the air con - which although working we couldnt make it go lower than 19 degrees, and as it was over 30 in Glasgow for the days we were there it was a bit of a nightmare trying to get to sleep. Anyway, i digress... we booked a junior suite. Not quite sure where the word suite fits into this heading though - perhaps it was the strange window seat and fake shutter combo at the windows? Perhaps it was the weirdest lounge chair/daybed contraption that we have ever seen? This chair/bed was made out of wicker and had a grey fake animal fur thrown over it - very very odd. however, this was nothing compared to the wooden birdcage hanging in the corner of the room with a stuffed toy animal of some description lying at the bottom of it looking very very dejected! So then onto the bathroom. Bijou is the only word you can use to describe this. There was a spa bath but you would have to sit it in with your knees up to your chin. If you sat on the loo just make sure no one else wants to come into the room or you will get a door in your knees. Toiletries were nice though!

Breakfast was an experience. Full buffet service which is lovely however our complaints would be the individually wrapped cheese - why, when you obviously have the footfall to know that everything would be eaten? The undercooked nasty hot breakfast buffet, sausages that had no colour, bacon that was virtually cooked, hash browns sitting in oil, scrambled egg that had more water than egg. However, more worrying that all of that was as we were on our hols and wanted to lie in we were probably some of the last people to eat breakfast each day so we saw the girls clearing up. The milk that had been sitting in milk jugs on each table in heat that was over and above normal for this time of year, was then tipped back into the large container that people had been using to put on their cereal which didnt look like there was any chiller attachment to it.... think you are lucky it didnt all turn to cheese! And our last and final comment was the caustic head waitress/manager that was working on the morning of Wednesday 1st July in the restaurant... she may have 6" heels and think she is something special, but she most certainly is not the way she spoke to not only the guests but the other staff as well - horrid woman!

The staff on reception and at the bar were extremely impressive and helpful, they should be commended on their attention to detail.

Would we go back? Yes probably as the location is perfect and the bar in the evenings is great, but we would either upgrade to a proper suite or save our money and down grade to a normal room. Our bed was only a double and we had wrongly presumed that in a 'suite' we would at least get a kingsize.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
Thank you for your review regarding your stay at the hotel.

I am sorry that your room was not to your taste - following your comments, and the feedback of a previous reviewer, we have decided to it would be in the interest of future guests to re-categorize our Junior Suites to prevent any confusion or disappointment upon arrival. These changes will take place in the near future.

With regards to your breakfast experience, please accept my sincere apologies for the shortcomings you encountered and the service you received. Your comments have been discussed in detail with the relevant manager.

I am very pleased to hear that despite your disappointment in the above areas, you found our other staff to be very helpful and that your experience this time round would not prevent you returning in the future.

Thank you once again for your feedback.
Binfield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2009

Spent one night in Glasgow with my wife to go to the Opera and stayed here. Location of hotel is great and, as others have said, the staff are very good, really friendly at reception.
On arrival my wife's status was recognised.... which was nice..... and we were upgraded to the Cornell Suite....wow we thought a suite!!!!

After a hiccup trying to get into our suite……(the key did not work and we had to go back to reception) we found ourselves in our suite.

Now, I have been around a bit and I have stayed in a wide variety of hotels. Calling this room a suite stretches credulity too far. Indeed it is not so much being economical with the truth as being down right dishonest. The room was no bigger than a standard room with a wardrobe, an old fashioned television with a tiny screen, and a desk.
I suspect the term suite was employed as the room had a window seat, (narrow & unusable) and there was a chaise-long. As a result of this superfluous item of furniture the bed was one of the smallest double I have ever encountered.
This was never a suite but it was a hot house. The air conditioning had been switched off and the room faced due south on the hottest day of the year. 27 degrees outside and it must have been over a hundred in the room. The maid who was in the corridor could offer no help as she had no english. It did eventually fire up but despite leaving a key card in the power switch it switched off while we were out.
The bathroom was tiny and the door smashed against the toilet seat when opened. There was a spa bath that sounded like Concorde taking off when in use and this in turn promptly flooded the floor.
We could not get pre theatre dinner reservations in the restaurant which was fortunate as we found a fabulous little bistro right opposite the theatre and had great for a great deal less than La Bonne Auberge wanted.
Breakfast was simply splendid and the hotel granted a late checkout (albeit just 1pm) with grace and ease.
So, a decent hotel in the centre of Glasgow offering adequate value for money. But this is UK hotel and as such standards are low compared to other countries and prices high. The staff are nice but they can't/don't fix faulty air conditioning and the room/hotel was tired and in need of paint.
I really do not want to spend even 5 minutes of 24 hours in a hotel complaining about what is wrong with my room. Frankly the manager should have done that for me before I arrived. A manager, who will no doubt reply to this post as he seems to do to most others, but frankly his time would be better spent going round and making sure things work in his hotel. Then he would not have to reply or offer excuses because guests would be raving about his well located bijou hotel!!!!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
HolidayInnGlasgow, Manager at Holiday Inn Glasgow City Centre Theatreland, responded to this review, 1 July 2009
Thanks you for your review, however I was disappointed to learn of some of the problems you experienced during your visit.

With regards to your upgrade to the Cornell Suite, I appreciate your comments regarding the naming of the room which may imply a bigger room than you received. The hotel has four different standards of room; standard, executive, junior suite & penthouse suite - all of which are priced differently. The 'Cornell Suite' is one of the junior suites and is larger than the standard rooms and the same size as the executive rooms. However over and above the executive room, it has the additional features you describe such as the window seat and chaise longue. There are four junior suites in the hotel all individually designed, and as they are a little unusual in style, they may not be to everyone's liking. However, for guests booking these rooms in advance, they are clearly described on the hotel website.

The double beds throughout the hotel are all standard 4'6" double beds. Unfortunately due to the size of most of the rooms we are unable to utilise the larger beds which are often found in hotels.

With regards to the air conditioning, the system can take up to 20 minutes to become effective once activated in your room, and on such an unusually hot day in a room with large glass windows this must have been very frustrating. The system is designed to regulate the temperature of the room if set to 'automatic' so should have come on and off throughout the evening whilst you were out. As this does not appear to have happened, I will ask the maintenance manager to investigate if there is an Intermittent problem in this room.

As a management team, we do everything possible to ensure our guests have a problem free stay and I am sorry that on this occasion we have failed. This includes a system for checking rooms and facilities every day by either a housekeeping manager or supervisor and in addition a random selection of rooms are checked daily by the Duty Manager or General Manager.

On a more positive note, I am delighted that you found our staff to be friendly and helpful and that you had a great breakfast. It is such a shame that you were unable to sample the restaurant during your visit as I'm sure you would have found the food equally great.

Thank you once again for your comments which we really do appreciate, and this is why it is also important that we take the time to respond to your feedback.

Dundee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2009

We stayed here, in the Renoir suite for a weekend break. The suite was well laid out and had a rather old and rustic feel about it. Not my style but nice, clean and tidy never the less. The suite was split into three rooms. The living area, the bedroom, and the bathroom.

The living area was equipped with Satellite TV (a poorly thought out and sparse selection of channels with poor/fuzzy reception) A radio (again, with poor reception), DVD player with selection of DVD's and Playstation II with selection of games. The living area also had a fully stocked (and unlocked) mini bar that you almost had to use both hands to open! There was also free bottled water and (a bit random I thought) a twix in the drinks cabinet, with a small (and i mean small) decanter of Brandy. There were also a set of balcony doors that didn't open for us, but did after a bit more forceful persuasion from a member of staff....I didn't want to be the one to break them!
The bathroom was well equipped with Sink, Toilet, Power shower, and Spa bath which all worked very nicely. The bathroom also came with a host of lotions and potions, and threads etc as you'd expect in a suite including dressing gown and slippers which were conditioned when washed!
The bedroom and bed was a nice size, with a well sized dressing table, chair, mirror and light. The bedroom also had an in-room safe, tea/coffee making facilities with a large blackout Velux window. There was sufficient storage with drawers and Wardrobe. The bedroom also had satellite TV with very few channels, most of which were unwatchable due to a poor reception which was annoying. I've found this with ALL Holiday Inns, why does none of their TV's or Radios work?
There were also two air-conditioning units, one in the bedroom and one in the Living area. Both worked well and we never noticed any noise from them. The free In-Room Wi-Fi never worked for us, despite confirming the correct details with reception. There was also no more noise that would be expected for a major city centre hotel. Occasional partygoers and sirens which add to the city centre ambiance I say! There is no on-site parking (understandable due to its location) but Pay Parking is available across the road in the multi-story car park. The parking (as far as i’m aware) isn’t subsidized for hotel guests There is a small drop off/ Pickup point outside the hotel.

The hotel is 5 minutes walking distance from Local shops and Pubs, Sauchiehall Street, Buchanan Galleries Shopping Centre and Bus station are only 5 minutes walk with Glasgow Queen Street rail station a short 10 min walk.
We never dined so can't comment on the restaurant. We found the staff pleasant and efficient and would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Graeme2812
HolidayInnGlasgow, Manager at Holiday Inn Glasgow City Centre Theatreland, responded to this review, 29 April 2009
Thank you for your review.

I am pleased to hear that overall you had an enjoyable visit to the hotel and found our staff to be friendly and efficient.

With regards to the quality of TV & Radio channels in your suite, I will ask the maintenance manager to take a look at this. Recently we have experienced a few problems with the WiFi service although these now appear to be resolved.

The hotel has arrangements with both the NCP Concert Square car park opposite the hotel, and the nearby Buchanan Galleries car park for discounted 24 hour rates if you get your ticket validated at the hotel reception.

Thank you once again for your comments and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.