Holiday Inn Glasgow City Centre Theatreland
Ranked #21 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
stockton
“excellent”
Reviewed 21 April 2010

Stayed here with a group of friends from 17 – 19 April. The location is superb, within easy walking distance of the railway station, and on the doorstep of the shops and concert hall.

Our check in / check out were efficient, the staff very helpful and attentive and provided me with a complimentary toothbrush as I had forgotten to pack mine. The newly refurbished bathroom was of a very high standard, and the bed extremely comfortable.

We dined in the award-winning restaurant which was a delight. The food, service and surroundings were fantastic. Breakfast offered a wide selection of continental and cooked food and even when we turned up 20 minutes before the end of breakfast there was still a full selection of all foods available.

This hotel was perfect for our short break and has everything you need for a very comfortable stay in the centre of Glasgow whether it be business or pleasure. I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with friends
HolidayInnGlasgow, Manager at Holiday Inn Glasgow City Centre Theatreland, responded to this review, 1 June 2010
Thank you for your very positive review of the hotel. I am delighted that you had an enjoyable weekend and that the hotel was perfect for your needs. I will ensure that your kind comments are passed onto the hotel and restaurant team.

Kind regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (241)
stirling
Reviewed 10 April 2010

just back from overnight in this hotel and it is amazing, i booked this hotel for myself and partner and our 2 friends as we were going to the darts exhibition in the SECC and the location for the hotel is great just off sauchiehal street so you dont need t o taxi everywhere, we checked in and the girl on the reception was great dropped our bags in room then went to bar for a liquid refreshment and the prices we very competitive. the rooms were very clean and the bathrooms look amazing too, the beds really comfy and if you prefer certain pillows or have allergies they have loads of types for you. the only bad point to the hotel was we were facing onto the street which was slightly noisy however thats part and parcel of staying in a city centre hotel. i will definetly go back to this hotel we tend to stay in glasgow 4 or 5 times a year for various different ourtings and this is the best by far.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay. Your feedback on both the staff and the new bathrooms is very much appreciated.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on your next visit to Glasgow.

California, US
Reviewed 3 April 2010

When traveling to a foreign country I usually do not stay in American hotels -- after all, I'm there to experience the culture as much as I am to sightsee. Still, I chose this hotel because it was directly across the street from the Concert Hall where I was planning to see my friends perform. I didn't realize, until I'd arrived, just how convenient this location was. I was able to walk to many locations and enjoyed shopping on Buchanan Street.

However, the best part of this hotel was the restaurant. I had not had food that delicious since my trip to Paris in 2006. I literally had to force myself not to eat every meal there during my stay in Glasgow.

The hotel & restaurant staff were extremely kind and helpful. The rooms were small, but I really just needed a place to shower and sleep. I highly, highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled solo
HolidayInnGlasgow, Manager at Holiday Inn Glasgow City Centre Theatreland, responded to this review, 6 April 2010
Thank you for your very nice review of the hotel and our award winning restaurant La Bonne Auberge, I am delighted that you had an enjoyable visit to the hotel and I hope that I can welcome you back in the future.

scotland
Reviewed 28 March 2010

Stayed with my wife 26 - 28 March. Staff we came into contact with were all young, enthusiastic, helpful, courteous and anxious to please. From reception to chambermaid to the breakfast waiting staff, they were without exception, excellent.
The hotel is located in the centre of Glasgow and is very close to both bus and railways stations, shops and restaurants. We stayed in the Phantom suite which has been refurbished to a high standard and is at the front of the hotel. One disadvantage of rooms at the front of the hotel is that there can be noise from boisterous Glaswegians heading home from clubs and pubs. However, it was Friday/Saturday, so perhaps this is to be expected. All in all, a nice hotel in a good location with great staff.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mac75scotland
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay. It is always a pleasure to read nice comments about the team so I very much appreciate you taking the time to share your experience and I do hope that we can look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Falkirk, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 March 2010

After the hassle I had trying to book a room to stay in November 2009 - should have known better, but never learn and booked a surprise stay for my husband as a wee treat after Christmas - never again!! This must be one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed in - on check in (I am a platimum priorty club customer) it took some persuasion to get the young gentleman to accept that we should be upgraded to a better room - that was a joke - the carpet had a large hole burnt in it, the bedside light did not work, the bathrobes were stained, and the bathroom stank as if it had been cleaned with a dirty facecloth! Added to this the room was freezing cold!! After some disagreements at reception we were eventually moved to another room (a suite on the top floor with no lift!!) which was also freezing!

The only saving grace of the hotel is the restaurant - which is very good.

My advice is - don't stay here - book the hotel directly across the road instead!!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
HolidayInnGlasgow, Manager at Holiday Inn Glasgow City Centre Theatreland, responded to this review, 12 March 2010
Please accept my apologies for the disappointment you experienced.

As a Platinum Priority Club member, an upgrade to the next available room type is offered subject to availability (not guaranteed) on check in. However if there are ample upgraded rooms available, then this should be given automatically, so please accept my apologies for any hassle you experienced.

As you will see from other reviews, they are usually very complimentary about the standard of housekeeping in the rooms, so I was surprised and disappointed to read your comments which will be passed on to the Housekeeping Manager.

As the Penthouse Suites are located on a unique floor , you do need to walk the final flight of stairs to access these rooms.

I am pleased that despite the shortcomings, you still enjoyed our restaurant and I do hope that as a Priority Club member you will choose to return in the future.

England
Reviewed 2 March 2010

First impressions of the Holiday Inn were good with a speedy check-in and room allocation. I'd booked an executive room which initially appeared fine. Unfortunately, it was freezing with the heating on full pelt and the rather ancient looking TV was unwatchable due to interference. The hotel couldn't or wouldn't do anything about it. I might expect that in a 2 star Bed and Breakfast but not at a Holiday Inn. On a less serious note, I was amused at the 'complimentary chocolates' that supposedly come with an Executive room - one Mars Bar between two people. I was amused, or at least bemused rather than annoyed but it all contributes to the overall impression that the hotel is a bit slapdash in certain areas.

We did make use of the dining facilities and quite enjoyed our evening meal in the restaurant. Can't fault the staff on friendliness but it was a bit irritating and embarrassing that we had to request three attempts at our bill before we actually got the correct version.

Breakfast was enjoyable and, once again, we appreciated the friendly staff.

Check-out at the hotel was 12noon and we planned to leave for around 11.30am but the cleaning trolley was parked outside our room for hours prior to that. At one point, the cleaning staff burst into the room while we were still in and offered no apology. It was clear that the hotel would have been obliged if we'd checked out much earlier than the stipulated check-out time. There was no need to be quite so obvious about it though!

All things considered, I don't think we'd stay in this hotel again unless we managed to get a great deal on it.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the hotel.

Please accept my apologies for the problems you experienced with your heating and TV and the handling of your issues. Unfortunately the unusually extreme weather conditions have at times caused a strain on the heating system, however our team should have been able to provide a portable appliance to help the situation.

The housekeeping team and trolleys are in the corridors much earlier than the designated departure time as they can access many rooms from as early as 8am, however the manner in which you were disturbed is inappropriate and I will pass your feedback to the Housekeeping Manager.

Your kind comments regarding the staff at both dinner and breakfast, are appreciated.

I do hope that you will re-consider staying at the hotel in the future.

London
Reviewed 23 February 2010

Can you imagine the freezing temperature of February and a room that has airconditioning instead of heating? Instructions on the control said to leave it 8 mins to kick in and warm up but 90 mins later it was still kicking out cold air.

Booked and paid for a smoking room, hotel chosen for their availability of a smoking room.... telephoned to confirm a smoking room had been allocated...all was confirmed and when i arrived was told "no smoking rooms available....well you are one of the last people to arrive tonight". Hence, my room had been allocated to someone else. I ended with the room without heating and a television and broadband reception that must have had a shared arial of a coat hanger! terrible reception on both!

Staff were unhelpful and "shrug shoulders" attitude.

Food was adequate but tried to charge a fee for delivering room service even though it was NOWHERE on the menu that there was a charge!

DO NOT ALLOW YOURSELF TO BE BOOKED INTO ROOM 329

However, the room was immaculately clean and the breakfast staff were 100% as you would expect (a totally positive experience) and the hotel is conveniently situated right next door to a multiscreen cinema

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
Thank you for your feedback following your stay at the hotel in February. Please accept my sincere apologies for the shortcomings you experienced with your room. Unfortunately the exceptionally extreme weather conditions did at times cause a strain on the heating system. I am disappointed to learn that the situation regarding a smoking room was not handled in a more professsional and empathetic manner and your feedback will be communicated to the individuals concerned.

On a more positive note, thank you for your kind comments regarding the housekeeping standards and breakfast offering.