“Rooms small, outskirt of town”
Review of Campanile Glasgow

Campanile Glasgow
Ranked #62 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 26 April 2011

Rooms were small, small, small. Drop your suitcase and nowhere to walk it was so small. No internet, no pay phone, on the edge of town. Pretty new, clean and good food, though.

• Stayed: April 2011
Manager_Campanile, General Manager at Campanile Glasgow, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2011

Dear Americansportswriter

Thank you for leaving us a brief review with regards to your recent stay with us at Campanile. I am sorry that you felt the room allocated to you for the duration of your stay was too small, we do have slightly larger rooms, but all the rooms are of a similar size, and we find in general that they are well suited for the majority of our guests that frequent the hotel, with dedicated areas for luggage, wardrobe space and shelving for smaller garments. I must correct you with regards to the internet, as we do offer complimentary access to our Wi-Fi system throughout the hotel and this is clearly advertised on our website, and whilst we do not offer a pay phone in the public areas of the hotel, there is a direct dial telephone in each guest room and costs are minimal for outgoing calls, but my team are always on hand to answer any questions that any guest may have relating to these issues and any other. In addition to this we also provide a room directory in each room that details the services that we offer.

I hope we have not lost the opportunity to welcome you back to Campanile after your review, and certainly please feel encouraged to contact me directly at the hotel and I will ensure that a larger room will be allocated to you on your return and highlight our telephone charges.

There are newer reviews for Campanile Glasgow

Reviewed 20 April 2011

We chose this hotel because we wanted something convenient for The SECC. The room was clean, convenient and adequate for one night but if you are looking for anything more than that I would not recommend it. We got a good room only rate but decided to have breakfast and I really wish we hadn't bothered. It cost £17 for the two of us and was quite frankly one of the worst hotel breakfasts I have ever experienced. The eggs were like rubber and fried was the only choice. The sausages were cooked but had no colour to them and the whole meal was tasteless and cold. The continental selection was also pretty poor value. I didn't bother complaining because I got the impression that nobody actually cared whether I had a pleasant stay or not. There are a lot of alternatives to this hotel and the next time I visit Glasgow and want somewhere near the SECC I will try somewhere else.

1  Thank BandBStranraer
Manager_Campanile, General Manager at Campanile Glasgow, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2011

Dear BandBStranraer

Thank you for sharing your views of your recent stay at our hotel. I am disappointed to hear your comments with regards to breakfast. We are receiving a mixed bag of views on this subject with some comments raving positively about the quality and price, £8.50 for a full Scottish breakfast that allows you to help yourself to the buffet, where we offer some superior quality products, free range eggs, fresh Tropicana juice, in a three star hotel is seen by some as good value compared with the other hotels in the immediate vicinity that charge £14.50 and accommodation charge to match. I will look into the quality issue as you mentioned as I am not aware that we have any issues with this. With regards to the eggs being the only choice, this is not quite correct. We offer fried eggs as a standard in the chaffing dishes that our guests can help themselves to, but realise that our customers like options and therefore offer eggs prepared another way, scrambled, poached etc upon request and these are prepared directly from the kitchen, and this happens on a regular basis. I am also concerned that you didn't want to raise any of the issues with the staff because you felt they didn't care, and I would be obliged if you could furnish me with further details regarding this so I can investigate, because the staff do care, they have been with us a long time and endeavour to provide a consistent service every time. We don't always get it right but certainly try our best, and when we get feedback from our customers, good or otherwise we always take this in the spirit that it is intended, and learn from it, for which we thank you for raising your experience as a concern. Personal service delivery is an area that we have been concentrating on because we realise that this is key in our competitive market and it would appear on this occasion we let you down for which I apologise. We actively encourage our staff to engage with all our customers in order to ascertain their specific needs and will continue to focus in this area, as I feel that it is totally unacceptable for any of our guests to feel ignored or neglected.

I hope we have not lost the opportunity to welcome you back to Campanile and show you the true Campanile experience, certainly please feel encouraged to contact me directly at the hotel if there is anything else at all I can assist you with.

Reviewed 18 April 2011

I was quite nervous about our stay at the Campanile after reading all previous reviews and to be honest the only reason I booked it was the day before and I was in a rush to book something fairly close to the SECC. I'd warned my husband to expect the worst!!!
Anyway on our arrival I was pleasantly surprised, our greeting was warm and welcoming as was the reception area. Our room was clean and more than adequate for our stay; there was the usual tea/coffee facilities, wardrobe space and shelving, flat screen tv with freeview, heating and air con and small but perfectly suitable shower room.
We did not have evening meal in the hotel but the menu looked very nice and not too pricey. We did have breakfast which was delicious with plenty of choice and the service was also excellent and again not too pricey.
Overall I would have no hesitation in recommending or staying at the Campanile again. It wasn't 5* luxury but then again it wasn't 5* prices, in my opinion if you're after a mid range hotel then you can't go far wrong booking the Campanile.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Manager_Campanile, Guest Relations Manager at Campanile Glasgow, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2011

Dear 171bp

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your lovely comments on TripAdvisor. I delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I will take great pleasure in passing your honest comments onto the rest of the team. You have hit the nail on the head, in that we are not trying to be something that we aren’t, but what we are trying, and trying very hard is to be consistent in everything we do, and your comments are a ringing endorsement that we are doing something right, and I thank you for taking time to tell us so.

The team and I look forward to welcoming you both back to Campanile in the very near future.

Reviewed 17 April 2011

Just back from a stay at this hotel due to closeness to SECC. Was really disappointed when I came back from my show to find the bar full of kids in their pj'sand babies. Was a dancing competiion on locally but should they have been allowed to run havoc around the place ??? Was shocked to see the parents openly drink their own drinks - vodka and coke were produced from bags. Just when I thought it couldn't get worse, a huge order of domino's pizzas arrived. The place was stinking with dirty half eaten boxes left lying around. By 11.15 we have up as due to noise of kids screaming and shouting. Was kept awake by parents shouting at the girls to get to sleep and stop screaming.
Really disappointed and has def put me off returning.

1  Thank ClareypopsEdinburgh
Manager_Campanile, Public Relations Manager at Campanile Glasgow, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2011

Dear ClareypopsEdinburgh

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your review. It is imperative that guests are encouraged to use a medium, such as tripadvisor so that we in the industry may gain and use this valuable feedback with a view to improving the service that we offer.

I was saddened to hear that you were disappointed upon your return from, what must have been an exciting show at the SECC to be confronted with, what would seem like a hotel full of children. You are quite correct in that we did have staying with us on this ocassion, unusually I must add, a large number of children, all of whom were accompanied/chaperoned by guardians that were taking part in a cheer leading competition. My team were aware of the situation and briefed accordingly. On numerous occasions throughout the evening my team approached the parents to make them aware that some children were getting a little boisterous and this did have the desired affect as it was nipped in the bud after approx 35 minutes. My team managed the situation the best that they could on the night via the parents. Following on from this, as we had limited food available to offer the children that had been performing that had not eaten for a number of hours, a special delivery of pizza was arranged, but it was on the agreement and understanding that this would be consumed in a quiet corner of the hotel away from other guests, and whilst my team admittedly did not clean this away as soon as they should have due to a busy bar, they did when there was a break in service. With regards to your comments about guests drinking their own spirits in our bar, I was shocked when I heard this as this is not allowed at any time within any of our public areas, all my staff know this and have been trained in line with the Licensing (Scotland) Act 2005. I have spoken directly with the individuals working on this particular occasion as this is totally unacceptable.

I do apologise that the time you spent with us was not the best as it should have been, and the way it normally is. This was a one off incident and a booking that I will definitely give more consideration to in the future when such an event takes place in Glasgow. I should like to restore your faith in us and give us another chance to prove to you that this was indeed an isolated incident, and hope you will give us the opportunity to show you the true Campanile experience. Whilst we endeavour to get things right every time, we quite clearly didn’t on this occasion but thank you for bringing this to our attention, and as previously mentioned will learn lessons from this experience. Certainly please feel encouraged to contact me directly at the hotel, manager.glasgow@campanile.com if there is anything else at all I can assist you with.

Reviewed 30 March 2011

I stayed here overnight with my daughter and grand-daughter on a visit to the SECC to see Mamma Mia. The room was very basic with the single bed pushed against one wall and partly under the desk - there was only one small pillow. We had a wet room which had no heating at all and it was very cold (reception told me you can't put heating in a wet room!!) There was no hot water at night. We only had two hand towels and two bath towels among three. We ate in the restaurant which was very over-priced - no mention of a Bar Menu from our waitress but the waiter at the next table offered it to his guests. A Children's Menu was offered, inclusive of drink and ice-cream, but was not written down. Again our waitress gave us different choices than the waiter at the next table. There was only chocolate ice-cream which my grand-daughter does not like, hard to believe no vanilla in a hotel. At breakfast we were told just to 'sit anywhere' and not shown to a table. As there were none for three people we had to sit at a table for eight - and the waitress was overheard telling a party of six that they would have to wait as 'there were people sitting at their table'. On a Health and Safety issue - there was a deep socket box on the bedroom wall which was held together with red tape.
Handy for the SECC it may be but we wouldn't go back.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
Manager_Campanile, General Manager at Campanile Glasgow, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2011

Dear T3ddys

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us, and to highlight areas that you feel we could improve on. I wanted to investigate these comments further, as to my knowledge during this particular time, we had a very busy hotel and only favourable comments, hence my slight delay in getting back to you. Upon further investigation I should like to respond as follows:

Whilst we have been categorised as a 3 star budget hotel, I do feel that being described as very basic is not a true reflection of the accommodation we offer. We offer all the amenities that other larger hotels and higher rated hotels offer by way of: in room tea & coffee making facilities, DD telephone, room directory of services, air conditioning, en-suite bathroom with toiletries, extra pillow and blankets, free Wi-Fi through out the hotel, hairdryer everything that you would expect from a good hotel. You make reference to 'one small pillow', and I should like to clarify that all our bedrooms have a pillow per person, double beds, two pillows, single or sofa bed a pillow per person, and all rooms have an extra pillow in the wardrobe space, plus we also have an extra supply of pillows that we keep in housekeeping department to offer to guests as requested, and this is a Company standard throughout. Our team are delighted to help out and offer any amenity and service once this has been brought to their attention on the day, and endeavor to make each and every guests' stay a pleasant and comfortable one.

My apologies for the oversight on our behalf in not supplying you with sufficient towels however. Whilst all rooms offer a standard, two hand towels and two bath towels, my housekeeping team completely forgot, even though the room was set for three people, to increase the bath towels, but once again we have a complete back up of towels and when requested these are enthusiastically delivered. I have personally checked the hotel water supply to the room that you stayed in, and can confirm that there is a supply to the room, albeit, it takes a while for the hot water to flow, due in part to the position of the room in relation to the location of water pump, your room being furthest away from this. The comment made by the receptionist on the day, was incorrect with regards to health & safety issues being the reasoning behind not having heating in the en-suite wet room, and I have addressed this with both the individual involved, and the whole reception team. All the bedrooms at our hotel do not have heating, it was built that way, and I agree it does feel somewhat colder in the wet rooms than the other rooms because they are a lot larger.

With regards to the pricing structure of both food and accommodation, we actually pride ourselves in ensuring that we undercut our competitors in order to offer the best value possible. In terms of food prices, the pricing of our menu in the restaurant, once again reflects the fact that we operate in the mid market and I feel denotes great value for money. £8.50 for fish and chips, or £15.95 for a steak dish, when compared with other hotels in close proximity that charge £13.50 and £22.95 respectively in my opinion is not bad, and with our pre theatre for 3 courses at £16.95 compared once again with other hotels starting at £18.95.

I do note that we had a number of training issues in the restaurant during your stay for which I do apologise, we have recently recruited a number of restaurant staff that are still undergoing training and are still quite hesitant in their service delivery, and I believe you hand first hand experience of this, with a combination of inconsistent product offering, and the lack of ice cream choice is a complete let down. I completely understand the disappointment that this would have brought to your Grand-daughter not having her preferred choice, or just a choice. Our standard selection of ice-cream are the all time favourites, chocolate, strawberry & vanilla, and after speaking to Chef, who was equally annoyed by not having a choice to offer, was informed our supplier on the day let us down, and as this was a late delivery we could not arrange alternatives for which I apologise. Campanile is an informal and relaxed style of hotel and with regards to our buffet breakfast service, as a norm would not show guests to their tables, but to meet and greet upon entering and explaining the buffet service, leaving the guests to use their judgment on where they sit. I acknowledge that whilst this is not a perfect way to control the flow of guests, it hasn't created any real issues thus far, and certainly we do find that guests are quite understanding when there is a slight delay in arranging a table for them, and we also use the bar area on occasions to cope with any overflow situations, but we do find that this way of service works best for our type of operation.

With reference to health & safety issues, we have a rigorous preventative maintenance program in place with regular, spot check inspections on health, safety and food hygiene, and a recent inspection awarded us 99%, indicating that we operate to an extremely high standard and that we take this matter very seriously indeed. With regards to the socket that had been secured by insulation tape, the night before your stay, guests that frequented this room managed to break this socket. As soon as my housekeeping team noticed this, which was late in the day, we called in our electrician whom made good & safe the socket, and whilst aesthetically it did not look great, it was safe and at no point were you in any danger, and has subsequently been replaced with a new one.

Whilst our aim is to get things right, each time, first and every time, we do sometimes fall short in attaining our goals because we set our standards so high, and in this case, a combination of new staff and training issues, defects, supplier shortages, a busy hotel and the challenges that this can bring on an operational level, my team overlooked certain aspects, for which I thank you for bringing to my attention, because it is only by you informing us of our shortcomings that we can improve, and reach our goal in getting things right first time every time.

I am sorry for any inconvenience that these shortcomings may have brought about during your stay, and hope you will return to Campanile in order for your faith in us to be restored. I would be delighted to make any arrangements for your next stay, please do contact me directly on manager.glasgow@campanile.com and I will make the necessary arrangements, and the ice cream is on me!

Reviewed 14 March 2011

I was going to see a band at The Secc so as usuall the hotel price rocketed, it was handy for the concert. My shower did not work and no bath!! I could have stayed at a better hotel for less money just a few hundred yards further. The plates were not heated and the breakfast looked as if there a while and £8. I would not stay again. Staff ok check in/out was quick.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
Manager_Campanile, General Manager at Campanile Glasgow, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2011

Dear Clangers1958

Many thanks for taking the time to post your comments on Tripadvisor following your stay with us at Campanile SECC. I am sorry to hear that you encountered a number of issues that made your stay not as pleasurable as it should have been. If you would be kind enough to furnish me with further details with regards to the room number within which you stayed, I will investigate further the issue with the defective shower, thus far I am not aware that we have any showers that are not working, as my maintenance team work through a preventative maintenance program that highlight any defects that would prevent a room becoming uninhabitable, that is checked daily by our housekeeping team, the shower being one of the areas checked, then we either rectify, or block off for sale should we encounter a problem. The majority of our bedrooms have power showers and this is reflected on the majority of websites that we advertise, we do have a small number of rooms with baths, but the decision to provide ensuite power showers was taken at the time of building the hotel some seven years ago, based on research, and the changing needs of both the leisure and business traveler. However your comments have highlighted the fact that to avoid disappointment when booking rooms via telephone, our reception team should point out this fact, which I shall look into implementing. With regards to the hot plates, or lack of, you are quite right, over the weekend we had problems with our hot plate cupboard, so plates were being warmed by other means, which were not as effective as you have highlighted and for which I apologise. Our buffet breakfast represents great value for money when compared to our competitor set and the products we offer. Our staff ensure that it is constantly replenished, any issues raised on the day with regards to the quality is immediately remedied, and upon speaking with the team that worked this particular week end nothing has been noted. In terms of pricing of our breakfast, once again at £8.50 for full Scottish which would also entitle you to the continental as well, as much as you can eat, in my opinion is not a bad deal, especially when you compare one of our competitors offering a continental at £10.95 and full Scottish at £14.95. With regards to room rates, we keep a watchful eye on the rates that we offer like all hotels, and during the weekend of your stay I can confirm that we were offering some of the lowest rates within close proximity to the SECC. We work closely with the Glasgow City Marketing Bureau, ensuring that we do not price companies out of the City when there is a concert/conference/event, as we are here to promote companies/events coming to the City to add to everyone’s prosperity.

Whilst I appreciate that your stay on this one occasion was not entirely to your satisfaction, I do hope you will consider giving us a second chance to put right those issues that were not perfect for you initially, and hope we can welcome you back to Campanile Glasgow SECC. Please feel encouraged to contact me directly via my email – manager.glasgow@campanile.com if there is anything at all I can help you with.

Reviewed 11 March 2011

I was really looking forward to bed and falling into a comfy plush 'hotel' mattress, but I could feel the springs no matter where I lay. There was only a shower which I was also disappointed with as I was looking forward to a relaxing bath after a long day of travel and work. The bar was cozy, the restaurant was ok, but the pizza gave me the wickedest heart burn I've ever had - felt like I'd eaten glass and woke in the middle of the night from it and then couldn't get back to sleep. Breakfast was all right, though my eggs didn't come as ordered at all. The selection was nice - and looked fresh. Overall, I probably wouldn't stay again if it were up to me, but it wasn't.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
Manager_Campanile, General Manager at Campanile Glasgow, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2011

Dear Lizion

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your feedback on TripAdviosr. I am sorry to hear that this stay was not as pleasurable as it should have been for you. I have looked into the comments that you have raised with all the staff members working over the period of your stay, and whilst nothing has been raised as a concern this does not detract from the comments you have made. With regards to the bedroom mattress, if you could provide me with further details I will personally investigate this. Our housekeeping team work to very high standards and ensure that a regular rotation system is place in order to keep the mattresses as firm as possible, and I have not received any other complaints with regards to this, on the contrary, we receive positive comments with regards to how comfy the beds are, but I will certainly look further into this.

The majority of our rooms provide power showers and this is reflected on the majority of websites that we advertise, we do have a small number of rooms with baths, but the decision to provide ensuite power showers was taken at the time of building the hotel, based on the changing needs of both the leisure and business traveler. However your comments have highlighted the fact that to avoid disappointment when booking rooms via telephone, our reception team should point out this fact, which I shall look into implementing, as I can appreciate that there is nothing more frustrating in wanting to relax and soak in a hot soapy bath after a hard day, and you can’t.

With regards to the service in the restaurant, we are revisiting our service offering/training needs within this department; this will be more focused on efficiencies and personal service, but please do accept my apologies for the incorrect order of eggs being offered. We endeavour to get orders right first time, but clearly on this occasion we didn’t. However had this mistake been brought to our attention on the day, my team would have immediately rectified the situation. I am however delighted to inform you that we are working with top Executive Head Chef Pierre Gagnaire who, working in conjunction with our Head Chef ensures we source and offer quality and sustainable products throughout our menus, in fact our breakfast offering is unparalleled by any other hotel in our competitive set. With regards to the pizza that you ordered, having looked at our sales for this particular day, I can comment that we sold three others to guests that evening, exactly the same without any comment being passed, but I will forward your comments to Chef as he is very passionate about what he does and the quality of products that he offers.