“Basic hotel, very close to Clyde Auditorium”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Campanile Glasgow

Campanile Glasgow
Ranked #61 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
EDINBURGH
“Basic hotel, very close to Clyde Auditorium”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2011

This was our first stay at the hotel and we would not return. It is too basic/ run down and our room was very small. Our view from the room was out to a pretty empty looking car park.

On the plus side, free Wifi & parking and 5 min walk to the Clyde Auditorium. The hotel looked clean but I did not enjoy the experience so would not return. Better hotels locally for not much more money.

• Stayed May 2011
Manager_Campanile, General Manager at Campanile Glasgow, responded to this review, 4 June 2011
Dear Ashleybedinburgh

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave your review on tripadvisor. One of the best ways for us to continually improve our quality and standards is through our visitors using a medium such as tripadvisor, therefore it is imperative that we thoroughly read and investigate any comments left by a guest. I am sorry to hear that you would not return to stay with us. It is most important to us to ensure that any guest that stays with us feels comfortable and wants to be here, allowing us to give them the best possible experience, and quite clearly the facilities that we have to offer do not live up to your expectations. Whilst all our rooms are similar is size and priced during your stay at £45, I believe that this offers extremely good value for money when compared to other hotels in the immediate vicinity of the SECC, and offer: tea & coffee making facilities, DD telephone, 24 hour reception, vending machines for goodies, flat screen TV, in room directory, work desk and chair with free Wi-Fi, toiletries, fresh clean linen, sofa bed, AC, bar & restaurant offering wholesome food at reasonable prices, shoe cleaning, wake up facilities, breakfasts £8.50 for full Scottish, complimentary newspapers available in the bar & reception area, friendly and approachable reception staff that double as concierge, free secure car parking, business facilities, meeting rooms complete with AV, but just as important, as previous TripAdvisor comments will testify, we operate a very clean, friendly and hospitable hotel, at a great price.

Ashelybedinburgh, whilst the sizes of our rooms will not change, there will always be hearty welcome, and a spotlessly clean hotel should you change your mind and require accommodation when you are next in Glasgow, so please do be encouraged to contact me directly manager.glasgow@campanile.com and I would be delighted to make the necessary arrangements and ensure you get a room with a view of the SECC?

M.Lawrence

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
Scone, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2011

was a bit anxious having read some of the reviews - but got to say we had excellent seerv ice - plus the twin bed room we had was very good - small - but very clean and adequate; would have no hesitation using this hotel again.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
Manager_Campanile, General Manager at Campanile Glasgow, responded to this review, 31 May 2011
Dear Mccartneyscone

Just a quick note to thank you very much for taking the time to review Campanile Glasgow SECC following your recent stay. I am delighted that you were not put off by some of the previous reviews and took the plunge to book with us, because the proof really is in the pudding! We do care about what we do and what we offer, we are definitely not trying to be something we are not, but what we do offer on a consistent basis are extremely clean, functional rooms that have all the amenities you would expect from a higher graded hotel, with service that is efficient, friendly and relaxed. We are working hard to ensure that we deliver each and every time. Your comment means a lot to me because it reinforces that we are making headway and achieving what we have set out to do, and you have hit the nail on the head, ‘excellent service with very clean rooms’, bang on, and something we feel should be at the very core of hospitality.

Thanks again and please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel if there is anything at all I can assist you with when you are next looking for a room in Glasgow, manager.glasgow@campanile.com.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2011

The staff offered a friendly welcome, the hotel is quite basic which was absolutely fine for our visit. My mother and I were attending an exhibition at the SECC then off to Ikea the following day, this hotel was perfectly located for both.

The bed was rather uncomfortable, the mattress was far too squishy. The bed rolls about too, might be better if it was secured to the wall or something. There was also a small stain on the quilt cover. The sink was cracked too. These are small picky problems really but, if fixed it would make a difference.

I brought my laptop with me and was pleased to discover the hotel offers free wifi.

We opted for the full breakfast, like another reviewer I didn't realise that I could order eggs cooked to my specification. The fried eggs in the chaffing dish were like rubber, really not great. The restaurant was empty, it may have been an idea for the waiting staff to keep an eye on the products in the chaffing trays and refresh them as required. It was ok aside from that and I think as far as hotel breakfasts go, £8.50 is not too bad, however, there is a weatherspoons not too far away which offer a nicer breakfast for less.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
Manager_Campanile, General Manager at Campanile Glasgow, responded to this review, 14 May 2011
Dear Nyamnyamnyan

Thank you for your words of support with regards to your recent stay with us. I am delighted that there were aspects of your stay that you were pleased with, and note the areas that you feel we can improve on. We are currently going through a refocusing period at the moment, looking at everything that we offer in terms of product and service with a view to getting back to basics, to concentrate on doing the simple things consistently well, this includes our breakfast offering and service. Our morning staff should be constantly monitoring the products in the chaffing dishes, ensuring that they are not too full in order to keep the food hot, only replenishing when necessary, and generally do a great job in maintaining levels, I will, however remind them of the importance of doing this, thanks for bringing this to my attention. With regards to the other areas you raised, my maintenance manager in conjunction with our housekeeping department, are systematically working through all the rooms, rectifying and replacing items that have been damaged or broken over time, we are investing and updating where necessary, which is an ongoing task, we recently installed flat screen TV’s in all the bedrooms, but maintenance is something that goes on continuously, and like the Forth Road Bridge, once we finish, we start over again.

Please do feel encouraged to contact me directly at the hotel if I can be of further assistance to you (manager.glasgow@campanile.com), and in the meantime my team and I will look forward to greeting you with a hearty welcome when you next return.

M. Lawrence
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2011

Rooms were small, small, small. Drop your suitcase and nowhere to walk it was so small. No internet, no pay phone, on the edge of town. Pretty new, clean and good food, though.

• Stayed April 2011
Manager_Campanile, General Manager at Campanile Glasgow, responded to this review, 28 April 2011
Dear Americansportswriter

Thank you for leaving us a brief review with regards to your recent stay with us at Campanile. I am sorry that you felt the room allocated to you for the duration of your stay was too small, we do have slightly larger rooms, but all the rooms are of a similar size, and we find in general that they are well suited for the majority of our guests that frequent the hotel, with dedicated areas for luggage, wardrobe space and shelving for smaller garments. I must correct you with regards to the internet, as we do offer complimentary access to our Wi-Fi system throughout the hotel and this is clearly advertised on our website, and whilst we do not offer a pay phone in the public areas of the hotel, there is a direct dial telephone in each guest room and costs are minimal for outgoing calls, but my team are always on hand to answer any questions that any guest may have relating to these issues and any other. In addition to this we also provide a room directory in each room that details the services that we offer.

I hope we have not lost the opportunity to welcome you back to Campanile after your review, and certainly please feel encouraged to contact me directly at the hotel and I will ensure that a larger room will be allocated to you on your return and highlight our telephone charges.

M.Lawrence

Travellers are raving about these Glasgow hotels

stranraer
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2011

We chose this hotel because we wanted something convenient for The SECC. The room was clean, convenient and adequate for one night but if you are looking for anything more than that I would not recommend it. We got a good room only rate but decided to have breakfast and I really wish we hadn't bothered. It cost £17 for the two of us and was quite frankly one of the worst hotel breakfasts I have ever experienced. The eggs were like rubber and fried was the only choice. The sausages were cooked but had no colour to them and the whole meal was tasteless and cold. The continental selection was also pretty poor value. I didn't bother complaining because I got the impression that nobody actually cared whether I had a pleasant stay or not. There are a lot of alternatives to this hotel and the next time I visit Glasgow and want somewhere near the SECC I will try somewhere else.

1 Thank BandBStranraer
Manager_Campanile, General Manager at Campanile Glasgow, responded to this review, 23 April 2011
Dear BandBStranraer

Thank you for sharing your views of your recent stay at our hotel. I am disappointed to hear your comments with regards to breakfast. We are receiving a mixed bag of views on this subject with some comments raving positively about the quality and price, £8.50 for a full Scottish breakfast that allows you to help yourself to the buffet, where we offer some superior quality products, free range eggs, fresh Tropicana juice, in a three star hotel is seen by some as good value compared with the other hotels in the immediate vicinity that charge £14.50 and accommodation charge to match. I will look into the quality issue as you mentioned as I am not aware that we have any issues with this. With regards to the eggs being the only choice, this is not quite correct. We offer fried eggs as a standard in the chaffing dishes that our guests can help themselves to, but realise that our customers like options and therefore offer eggs prepared another way, scrambled, poached etc upon request and these are prepared directly from the kitchen, and this happens on a regular basis. I am also concerned that you didn't want to raise any of the issues with the staff because you felt they didn't care, and I would be obliged if you could furnish me with further details regarding this so I can investigate, because the staff do care, they have been with us a long time and endeavour to provide a consistent service every time. We don't always get it right but certainly try our best, and when we get feedback from our customers, good or otherwise we always take this in the spirit that it is intended, and learn from it, for which we thank you for raising your experience as a concern. Personal service delivery is an area that we have been concentrating on because we realise that this is key in our competitive market and it would appear on this occasion we let you down for which I apologise. We actively encourage our staff to engage with all our customers in order to ascertain their specific needs and will continue to focus in this area, as I feel that it is totally unacceptable for any of our guests to feel ignored or neglected.

I hope we have not lost the opportunity to welcome you back to Campanile and show you the true Campanile experience, certainly please feel encouraged to contact me directly at the hotel if there is anything else at all I can assist you with.

anstruther
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2011

I was quite nervous about our stay at the Campanile after reading all previous reviews and to be honest the only reason I booked it was the day before and I was in a rush to book something fairly close to the SECC. I'd warned my husband to expect the worst!!!
Anyway on our arrival I was pleasantly surprised, our greeting was warm and welcoming as was the reception area. Our room was clean and more than adequate for our stay; there was the usual tea/coffee facilities, wardrobe space and shelving, flat screen tv with freeview, heating and air con and small but perfectly suitable shower room.
We did not have evening meal in the hotel but the menu looked very nice and not too pricey. We did have breakfast which was delicious with plenty of choice and the service was also excellent and again not too pricey.
Overall I would have no hesitation in recommending or staying at the Campanile again. It wasn't 5* luxury but then again it wasn't 5* prices, in my opinion if you're after a mid range hotel then you can't go far wrong booking the Campanile.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Manager_Campanile, Guest Relations Manager at Campanile Glasgow, responded to this review, 21 April 2011
Dear 171bp

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your lovely comments on TripAdvisor. I delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I will take great pleasure in passing your honest comments onto the rest of the team. You have hit the nail on the head, in that we are not trying to be something that we aren’t, but what we are trying, and trying very hard is to be consistent in everything we do, and your comments are a ringing endorsement that we are doing something right, and I thank you for taking time to tell us so.

The team and I look forward to welcoming you both back to Campanile in the very near future.

Edinburgh
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2011

Just back from a stay at this hotel due to closeness to SECC. Was really disappointed when I came back from my show to find the bar full of kids in their pj'sand babies. Was a dancing competiion on locally but should they have been allowed to run havoc around the place ??? Was shocked to see the parents openly drink their own drinks - vodka and coke were produced from bags. Just when I thought it couldn't get worse, a huge order of domino's pizzas arrived. The place was stinking with dirty half eaten boxes left lying around. By 11.15 we have up as due to noise of kids screaming and shouting. Was kept awake by parents shouting at the girls to get to sleep and stop screaming.
Really disappointed and has def put me off returning.

1 Thank ClareypopsEdinburgh
Manager_Campanile, Public Relations Manager at Campanile Glasgow, responded to this review, 21 April 2011
Dear ClareypopsEdinburgh

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your review. It is imperative that guests are encouraged to use a medium, such as tripadvisor so that we in the industry may gain and use this valuable feedback with a view to improving the service that we offer.

I was saddened to hear that you were disappointed upon your return from, what must have been an exciting show at the SECC to be confronted with, what would seem like a hotel full of children. You are quite correct in that we did have staying with us on this ocassion, unusually I must add, a large number of children, all of whom were accompanied/chaperoned by guardians that were taking part in a cheer leading competition. My team were aware of the situation and briefed accordingly. On numerous occasions throughout the evening my team approached the parents to make them aware that some children were getting a little boisterous and this did have the desired affect as it was nipped in the bud after approx 35 minutes. My team managed the situation the best that they could on the night via the parents. Following on from this, as we had limited food available to offer the children that had been performing that had not eaten for a number of hours, a special delivery of pizza was arranged, but it was on the agreement and understanding that this would be consumed in a quiet corner of the hotel away from other guests, and whilst my team admittedly did not clean this away as soon as they should have due to a busy bar, they did when there was a break in service. With regards to your comments about guests drinking their own spirits in our bar, I was shocked when I heard this as this is not allowed at any time within any of our public areas, all my staff know this and have been trained in line with the Licensing (Scotland) Act 2005. I have spoken directly with the individuals working on this particular occasion as this is totally unacceptable.

I do apologise that the time you spent with us was not the best as it should have been, and the way it normally is. This was a one off incident and a booking that I will definitely give more consideration to in the future when such an event takes place in Glasgow. I should like to restore your faith in us and give us another chance to prove to you that this was indeed an isolated incident, and hope you will give us the opportunity to show you the true Campanile experience. Whilst we endeavour to get things right every time, we quite clearly didn’t on this occasion but thank you for bringing this to our attention, and as previously mentioned will learn lessons from this experience. Certainly please feel encouraged to contact me directly at the hotel, manager.glasgow@campanile.com if there is anything else at all I can assist you with.