“Good hotel almost accross the road from SECC main entrance”
Review of Campanile Glasgow

Campanile Glasgow
Ranked #62 of 95 Hotels in Glasgow
Calderdale
“Good hotel almost accross the road from SECC main entrance”
Reviewed 21 August 2011

A good well operated hotel, with friendly staff, Restaurant and lounge bar, also car parking in front of the hotel at no additional cost.

Room Tip: Ask for a car park facing room
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Noaks
Manager_Campanile, General Manager at Campanile Glasgow, responded to this review, 25 August 2011
Dear Noaks

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on tripadvisor. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. I'll be passing your comments regarding the friendly staff to all the staff, they will be delighted that you have taken time to comment on your stay with us and recognised all their efforts, I know they'll all be chuffed! And please do remember to contact me personally next time you are looking for accommodation in the Glasgow area and we wil take care of all your arrangements (manager.glasgow@campanile.com)

Thanks again, I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

M.Lawrence

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
Peebles Scotland
Reviewed 2 August 2011

Stayed here for one night with friends.Staff were very friendly and helpful especially with our very early arrival at the hotel with car ie 5.30am and very late checkin after 11.30.Room had everything we required and was clean and well maintained.Ideal for that short stay.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Gordon10
Manager_Campanile, General Manager at Campanile Glasgow, responded to this review, 4 August 2011
Dear Gordon10

Thanks for your positive comments with regards to your recent stay with us. It is always a delight to hear that what we offer and what we do meets with our customers expectations. We try and be as flexible as we can, depending on the business we have with regards to accommodating our guests with early arrivals, and happy that we could assist with early check in on this occasion. I note that your hobbies and interests include concerts and attending music festivals, together with museums and cultural historical sites. We are perfectly placed for both in Glasgow, being situated just 2 minutes walk from the SECC where all the major concerts and music festivals are held, and also a stroll away from the world famous Kelvingrove Art Gallery & Museum, Transport Museum and the Science Museum all on our door step. So if you didn't visit any of these on your last stay with us, you really must return and visit these splendid cultural venues, and remember to contact me before you do and I will ensure your accommodation needs are taken care of (manager.glasgow@campanile.com)

UK Various
Reviewed 31 July 2011

Stayed at the Campanile twice so far this year due to concerts close by. Both visits met by courteous staff.

Comfortable spacious rooms and good value at £45 for room only. Close to the SECC/concert hall, rail station and ample free parking outside the hotel.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank alanrphillips
Dear alanrphillips

Great to have you back again and delighted to be of assistance. Thanks for taking the time to comment on your stay. The SECC has a full calendar of concerts, festivals and conferences, and as you rightly mentioned we are perfectly situated in walking distance of this fantastic arena, and offer brilliant room rates that are hard to beat. You may be interested to know, and have probably noticed the building works that are ongoing next to the SECC, and this will be the Indoor arena, it will be absolutely fantastic once complete, and will compete with the O2 arena in London. This will mean that Glasgow will hold more and more concerts and conferences and will not turn business away, so maybe we should be looking at an extension to the hotel to cope with the demand!

I note that you travel for both work & fun, so when you are next in Glasgow looking for accommodation, please do contact me directly and allow my team and I to take care of you?

essex uk
Reviewed 30 July 2011

Hotel is near to the centre of Glasgow, easy parking, bit scruffy, food quality not great,recommend eating elsewhere. It's a budget hotel !

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank richard598
Manager_Campanile, General Manager at Campanile Glasgow, responded to this review, 31 July 2011
Dear Richard598

Thank you for registering your recent comment on Trip Advisor after staying with us. In all fairness you have highlighted some positives and not so positives which are areas I can assure you that are work in progress! We are located is a quiet location, with ample free, barrier controlled secure parking which can be a bit of a challenge at times when staying right in the heart of the City, yet easy walking distance to the city centre of Glasgow which makes us popular for those looking for the best of both worlds when it comes to either a busy days shopping, visiting the array of local attractions to include the newly opened Transport Museum, Science Museum, Kelvingrove Art Gallery & Museum, a concert at the SECC or a night out on the the town, combined with a quiet restful nights sleep. You mention that the hotel is a bit scruffy, and I wouldn't deny that in areas the hotel is a tad tired. After seven years of continuous use, we are a very busy hotel, the hotel does, and is getting a bit of a facelift. Refurbishment of the rooms is an ongoing process, we have recently introduced flat screen TV's to all bedrooms, all the drapes have been dry cleaned and work is now ongoing with painting and replacing soft furnishings by my maintenance team, but this is a gradual process. Some rooms are having shower trays replaced and other areas of the hotel are having carpets replaced, you must have had a room that is due the upgrade for which I do apologise. But please do contact me directly in the future when you are next looking to stay in the Glasgow area and I will ensure that we allocate you an upgraded room. We do operate in the budget sector and as such operate very competitively with the following facilities we have to offer all our guests:

A selection of free complimentary newspapers in the public areas
Shoe cleaning facilities
Vending area
All rooms en suite
Direct dial
Free Wi-Fi
Free parking
Bar & restaurant, although limited room service
24hr reception
Work desk
Competitive room rates
Wake up service
Iron & iron board available
Tea & coffee making facilities
Air conditioning
Flat screen Tv

All these facilities, I feel give us the edge over others that operate in our competitive set, which is why we are so busy, and indeed compare favourably with some of the higher rated hotels, but overall we focus on cleanliness and friendliness. Our food is not haute cuisine, it is hearty and wholesome, not overwhelming in choice but a selection of old favourites, we could never compete with the vast selection of fantastic restaurants that are available in Glasgow. We generally do not get guests staying with us for our culinary delights, but because we offer a clean hotel with a genuine, sincere and helpful service at a price that is fair.

As perviously mentioned, please do feel encouraged to contact me directly (manager.glasgow@campanile.com) should you be looking for accommodation in Glasgow and i would be delighted to make the necessary arrangements.

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2011

hi,
A nice clean Budget hotel.
Slept well and alarm call worked.
my room was clean, bright and comfy. The bathroom has no bath, Just shower. It worked great with clean fresh towels and a hairdryer attached to the wall it was a nice to know that this part of the hotel is up to standand however,
The food in this hotel is another matter.
The evening meal in the restaurant needs a complete overhaul, my jug of water had a massive chip in it that shouldn't have been used for anything, let along serving to a customer. the rustic Bread for my 'Rustic Bread and English Beef Burger', was a cheap burger bap and the burger its self was swimming in grease, I would have had nicer at burger king. When I told the waiter as I left for the bar It was shrugged off with no word of an apology, on behalf of the chief. this is very over priced, poor quality food.
Watch your bill as they tried to charge me twice on a drink, although they did refund me once I had shown the receipts that I had kept.
Reception were pleasant although they did not seem to know how to deal with my complaint.
Breakfast was ok and self service. although I would get there quite early as it looks like they don't replace there hot food trays once there out.

Room Tip: Great double glazing, my room was by a main road although I didn't hear any out side noise.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank HipAndaHop
Manager_Campanile, Manager at Campanile Glasgow, responded to this review, 29 July 2016

CHARMEDFEE
Reviewed 27 June 2011

having stayed at this hotel on previous occassions to attend concerts or have girlie weekends with friends i thought i could have a small weekend break with my husband and looked online and it was quoting £45-£50 per night which i though was very good and i decided to phone to book which is what i usually do but to my surprise when i phoned i was told the room would be £85 per night luckily i decided just to book on line

check in was quick and friendly and directions given to our room ,at first glance they were as i remembered but then when switched lights on the carpet was stained in several places and there was mould and cracked walls in the bathroom and a damaged shower tray ,but not onle that we couldnt close the bathroom door as it didnt fit the frame so had to shower etc with the door ajar ,

i do love the location of this hotel and we went to the new transport museum which was good as we could walk from hotel ,advice i would give customers is bring your own bottled water as the vending machine does not have any and the bar charged nearly £3 for two small bottles

breakfast is basic but tasty though we had to help out another couple who did not understand that it was self service they were guided to a table and not really told they sat there a while awaiting service so we assisted them
with this trip i muct say i was very disappointed in what used to be a lovely hotel which is now shabby and i think asking for £ 85 is a cheek considering you could stay in the plush marriott or thistle for that ,so if hotel mamagement are reading this please take note i used to really like the campanile but standards have really slipped

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2011

The hotel is new and is clean and room was nice-no TV the night I was there but that was unavoidable and the staff were friendly trying to make the best of it .However the food was inedible -fish and chips and you could literally have squezed oil out of the fish like a sponge -could only eat some of the fish from inside the batter as I was so hungry.The mushroom soup was served lukewarm and was gelitanous -truly awful with no taste whatsoever of mushroom.I would say sack the cook immediately and get a decent one.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business