“budget service at a non budget price”
Review of Campanile Glasgow

Campanile Glasgow
Ranked #61 of 95 Hotels in Glasgow
“budget service at a non budget price”
Reviewed 4 April 2014

Booked this hotel for convenience for sse hydro, ticked this box well. however a very budget style stay was provided for a not so budget price. on arrival at 9pm the window in our room was wide open leaving the room very cold. we were provided one small bath towel per person, no hand towels were provided. there were numerous signs promoting reuse of towels and also stating a spare "set" was available within the room - not the case. on reporting the lack of towels to the reception I was told "we don't do hand towels", when I queried how one towel constitutes a "set" I was told that this was their Eco policy and that they do not provide hand towels in any of their rooms in any of their hotels. I continued to be dismayed however the staff member was uninterested and offered no apology or offer of an extra towel. I also mentioned the window and the fact the our tv remote did not work to which he replied I will get the remote fixed.

I did not pursue the issues further as I felt the staff member was disinterested and unhelpful.

I would reiterate that the hotel has posters everywhere boasting it's Eco ways however it appears in reality they merely provide you with less. additionally many areas- including my room- smell as though they have been poorly cleaned following smoking taking place.

other staff members where more helpful but those on reception did not assist in any manner with my grumbles.

I will not stay here again, and I wouldn't recommend it.

• Stayed April 2014
Manager_Campanile, Manager at Campanile Glasgow, responded to this review, 29 July 2016

Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 April 2014

Booked hotel for ease of attending SECC which is less than a five minute walk away. Room was clean, remote control for TV did not work, bed was very uncomfortable (spring mattress) pillows were of cheap foam type and not comfy, not enough hanging hooks in bathroom for clothes and/or towels. Food in bar/restaurant was good for the money( obviously frozen fare) and staff there were very friendly. Breakfast food could have been hotter but was more than adequate. Free parking at hotel which is a real bonus, would use again.

Room Tip: Some upper floor rooms have views of the river Clyde, nice when seen at night.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank scooterScotland

Cramlington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 April 2014

Booked this hotel because of proximity to Hydro arena for a Peter Gabriel gig as we had not been to Glasgow before and had no idea of the logistics.
The satnav found the hotel ok and the secure parking is free which which is always a bonus.
Check in was fine our room request of 4th floor and river view were honoured automatically. I know that comments have been made about surely staff but I had no problems in this respect, although I don't like over familiar staff so if you want a more personal service perhaps another more expensive hotel may better suit.
The room was clean and adequate which is all we required, with tea making facilities and tv.
The only complaint I can make is of the restaurant. When booking I stressed that we did not want to eat from the "Theatre" menu and was assured that we could order from the normal menu. On seating we had no choice the theatre menu or nothing. Ok so a limited choice should mean quicker service, not so everyone had to wait an eternity for below average food - some waited over an hour for a burger.
To sum up, the hotel is fine so long as you realise that it is not near Glasgow city centre and do not eat the food. If they sort out the restaurant, especially as the choice of places to eat in the vicinity is exceptionally limited, then with free parking and river view it would be an ideal choice for concert accommodation.

Room Tip: 4th floor with a river view worked for me
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

Kirkcaldy, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 April 2014

we stayed for one night , we found the staff ( particularly Joe ) very friendly & helpful , the room was clean & comfortable , great shower , the food was good , breakfast could have been hotter , but there was plenty of it , would recommend it to our friends .

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

Bristol, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 March 2014

I don't know what this place costs as it was booked for my by a client, but unless it's cheap, it's not a good hotel. Not the worst but in need of a lot of care. Got checked into a room, only to walk in and find another guest in his pants in the room. When I went back to reception she said 'I realised I'd done that about 30 seconds after you left me' - but clearly made no attempt to stop the inevitable room invasion by chasing after me or ringing the room occupant. No towels in next room, requested some, they arrived threadbare with holes in as big as a jaffa cake. Ordered room service, bottle arrived with no bottle opener. Asked for salt and vinegar to be brought up with order, only vinegar arrived. Clearly either this chain of hotels doesn't care and is happy that way or this one has slipped out of it's prescribed procedures. Either way, not good. Bed a bit lumpy, 3 pillows for 2 adults. All else functioning fine. Quiet. Good water pressure. Close to BBC Scotland. Continental Breakfast ok, not huge choice but enough. Only one socket in room. Cleanliness not great but no worse than my house.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business

Inverness
Reviewed 31 March 2014

We are a family of 4 so booked 2 x twin rooms. Were given rooms next door to each other. We were going to the Hydro and great for location. Had dinner at the hotel, couldnt fault it - was lovely and had the biggest gammon steak i've ever seen ! Check in was fine, staff not overly friendly but pleasant enough. The restaurant staff were excellent. Rooms were a bit scuffed on the walls, could do with a lick of paint but otherwise clean enough. Lots of talking in the corridor but this isnt the hotel's fault was a Saturday night. TV worked fine, beds comfy enough. Would stay here again and definately eat in the hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank clareg1973

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for just one night for a gig at the SECC, and for this it was perfect. It's located two minutes' walk from the SECC getting us out of the lengthy traffic queues when the gig finished. We arrived a little before the stated check-in time and whilst we were initially allocated the wrong room type, another was quickly sourced and we were able to check in early. Our room was at the front (main road) of the hotel but no noise was noticeable - even late in the evening when we could hear the continuing gig in the Hydro in the hotel bar, we weren't disturbed in our room. The room was clean and functional albeit basic. They were a bit stingy with the towels - one bath towel each, and there were no extras available despite a notice in the bathroom saying there were - and I searched high and low. The bed was very uncomfortable - hard (not 'firm', just aged) and lumpy, and no option for extra pillows either. Tea and coffee making facilities in the room with a reasonable selection of beverages.
We opted for lunch in the hotel and wish we hadn't. It was overpriced for what I could have done myself in half the time and a fraction of the cost. We went elsewhere for dinner based on our lunch experience! Breakfast was included but again we were disappointed. The selection was very poor and for the number of people to feed, I don't think there was nearly enough. For £6 each, I'd expect a little more than a bowl of cereal and a piece of fruit; cooked breakfast was £2.75 dearer but upon seeing it I was glad we didn't she'll out the extra! Very disappointed with the food. Upside: there's a vending machine in the hallway for a cheaper (and reliably tasty) snack.
So a good hotel for location on a budget, but I wouldn't use for anything other than a stopover or post-gig slumber.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple