“Glasgow Tower - 7 August” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #20 of 268 things to do in Glasgow
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Rated 5 stars by VisitScotland, providing programs of entertaining Science theatre, Planetarium, and around 300 hands-on interactive science exhibits over three floors, to introduce science to everyone. Interaction distinguishes GSC, very few exhibits in glass cases and many opportunities to participate in Science. Included workshops and shows are a highlight, ranging from shadow puppets for youngsters to computer coding, robotics and ethical hacking for adults. "BodyWorks" examines the science behind human health and well-being, "Powering the Future" the future challenges and solutions in our energy-hungry world, and the digital planetarium allows visitors to 'leave earth' and travel through the cosmos. Science Mall admission includes free workshops and shows, with add-on charges of £3.00 for access to the Planetarium. A shop and cafe are free to access. Schools and outreach programs extend the Centre's work into the community. The Centre is a registered charity with surpluses returned to the education mission. Car parking and public transport links or a 15 minute walk along the Clyde from the City centre. The adjacent IMAX cinema is now operated by Cineworld.
Useful Information: Baby buggy parking, Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access, Activities for older children, Stairs / lift, Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities
Glasgow, United Kingdom
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Glasgow Tower - 7 August”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014

My mum was 73 on the 7th August ans we decided to take her along with her 5 grandchildren, her sister and great niece & nephew plus her 3 daughters and 1 son in law for "something different" expreince! We had booked in advance and it wasn't that expensive plus we got to use the cafe and toilets. We took in turns going up the Tower and as it was a nice day the views were amazing and throughly recommend a trip here. Would do it all over again! Staff around us were all very attentive too as well as re-assuring when we got to the top!

1 Thank Caroline M

• Arabic first
  • Polish first
“Too expensive but really fun”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

We went on a Monday at the end of the English summer holidays when the Scottish kids had already gone back to school so it was quite quiet. We were surprised by how expensive it was, we are a family of five, with no family tickets available. Paying extra for car parking, the tower, the planitarium and the IMAX would have made it extortionate. In any case they were all closed! If I had realised in advance we would have used our Clubcard vouchers.

It was though a really fun day out. There was plenty to do for all ages and as it wasn't too crowded the kids never got bored waiting. We spent too long on the first floor doing all the experiments and didn't leave ourself enough time for the other 2 floors. We were chucked out of floor 3 at closing time having not completed a lot of the tests.

The staff were very friendly and helpful even coming over to try and help distract my crying 4 year old after a disagreement in sharing with her sister!

I would go again but not unless they improved the cost. With food and a couple of souvenirs we spent £90 on the day which is a lot. Magna in Sheffield was just as interesting, cheaper and offered a years free pass with your standard admission price and did a family ticket making it far more attractive.

Lydden, United Kingdom
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Fun interactive for all ages”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014

This was a great place to visit. We had about 4 hours but you could easily spend all day here with so many interactive things here to do for all ages. Also soft play for under 7yrs, planetarium and Imax cinema. We squeezed in the planetarium and my 9yr and 15yr old were amazed as we're the adults too. A great place to visit only wish that we had one nearer to home.

Glasgow
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“Expensive but really good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2014

I visited Glasgow Science Centre with my husband, in-laws and 2 year old in August 2014. I'd never really fancied it, but many of my friends with young children recommended it, so we thought we'd give it a go.

It is really expensive: £10.50 for an adult (kids are £8.50 over age 3), and then it's extra for the tower, the planetarium, the IMAX and the car park. We didn't pay for any of the additional stuff but we really enjoyed the science mall. My friends were right, there was loads to do and our daughter loved it, the childrens' play area was perfect for her. The adults all had a great time trying out the experiments too and there were great views of the river.

We had planned to have lunch there but the cafe was rotten. This isn't the first time I've complained about the standard of food for kids at an attraction I've reviewed, but I really struggle to understand how these places can invest so much in making the exhibits so child-friendly, and then serving them up nothing more appetising than a ham sandwich or chicken nuggets for lunch. The cafe looked entirely gross and I would've been pretty annoyed at paying through the nose for such an unappetising menu.

Despite the cost and the horrible cafe, I would still rate the science centre as very good because the exhibition itself was great. It is worth a visit, but to try and minimise the expense, take your own lunch as there seemed to be seating where people were eating packed lunches. Also, you can use Tesco Clubcard vouchers towards tickets which could make it a lot more affordable. And I believe you can also get a discount to the museum when you buy a ticket for the city sightseeing bus. Finally, if you live locally, the annual pass is £24 which would be pretty good value if you plan going more than twice. I think we'll definitely look into that for our next visit!

Canada
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 54 helpful votes
“Expensive, but you can spend the day there”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2014

Quite pricey entrance fee, but so interesting. We spent about four hours there and had lunch there, too. Really helpful assistants and plenty to see and do which makes the cost more bearable. Not crowded and very well behaved children looking round. You can't blame the Centre for any children that misbehave. I also take exception to a contributor's comment that I must be easily entertained. I found it fascinating. We took our 15 year old grandson, he didn't text his friends once! He was really interested and actually talked to us. Well done Glasgow Science Centre! I loved it and we were able to do many of the activities together as a family or be a bit competitive, individually. The lunch cost £18 for two baked potatoes, cheese and salad, and chips and chicken nuggets and three very large soft drinks. We needn't have eaten there, but we chose too. Very positive experience. I agree it was a bit hot, but left my coat in the cloakroom. Ideal for a wet day.