“Off to meet a dear old friend.”
Review of Blackfriars

Blackfriars
Ranked #267 of 2,490 Restaurants in Glasgow
Price range: US$7 - US$33
Cuisines: International
Dining options: After-hours
Description: We serve what we love - quality beers from around the world and high-calibre home-cooking. We also have a passion for live music and regularly play host to some of the most talented bands in Scotland (and occasionally from farther afield). But most importantly, we believe in a high standard of customer service - a welcoming atmosphere, attentiveness and of course, getting your pint in a timely manner (we know you're thirsty)!
Reviewed 18 June 2014

"What shall it be?" I inquire to this long standing buddy. One of their many Euro Pilsners', Addlestones Cider, Tempest's Saison du Pomme, Kelburn's Jaguar, or are we in the mood for a long relaxing lunch? I tap his wooden counter, bemusing the bar staff and await the decision. A SAGRES I decided and lunch will have to wait. You see Blackfriars is my dear old friend and he's always there when others have fallen. Whether it's good food, drink or entertainment I'm after he's never let me down, unlike some others to could mention :-/

A beer snob's delight, Blackfriars is a prize of a pub. Sat in the Merchant City, it's popular and lively and can be many things to many people - a craft ale pub, venue, meeting place or gastro-pub - take your pick? With a rotating range of real ale pumps plus a large variety of world beers, Blackfriars has everything the discerning drinker could wish for. The venue downstairs plays host to all sorts of late night events and the menu's not too shabby either, with Burgers, Pies, and Haggis all fantastic and decently priced.

The staff seem to stick around too. None of this quick staff turnover nonsense, which makes me think - "If staff are happy, customers are happy". I may be wrong on that, but it's certainly the impression I get. Anyway, staff longevity creates a beer, food and locale knowledge that they're more than willing to share with enthusiasm and warmth. And it's with this warm glow that I retreat to a bay window seat, order the recommended Prawn Thai Red Curry and sup my Malty Portuguese Delight.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

We were touring the city center and came upon this pub just as the rain was starting and lunch was calling. The service was attentive and contrary to our experience at UK pubs the staff came to our table to get our order (is this a new trend?). Our meal selections was Haggis Pie with Whiskey cream sauce, and Scotch broth soup and fish cakes. The pie was tasty and the sauce a nice touch (first time trying this dish). The soup was over salty and the fishcakes enjoyable. I also had a pint of Highland Pale Ale, a featured beer on this day - I did not care too much for the ale, but that is strictly a personal opinion (wish I had been offered a taster).

Reviewed 21 May 2014

En route home after a long day at work and thought it would be nice to pop in to one of my favourite pubs for a light refreshment. I enjoyed my first pint and thought I would have another but I was sadly mistaken. I approached the bar and was served by tall man with long hair who advised me that I had had too much to drink!!! I was clearly sober as had just finished my long shift. I found it ridiculous and humiliating that I was put in this position. Rest assured I will not be back. Really poor show for a bar I thought was a nice place to be. Blackfriars....you can't have more than 1 pint!!!!!!!!!

1  Thank ZZzZZzzz12344
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Six of us were in Glasgow last weekend for the Scottish Cup final, and stumbled across this gem of a locals pub in Bell Street, Glasgow.
The staff and locals were friendly, made us feel like 'regulars', and gave us tips on what to do and see in Glasgow.
The selection of real ales was varied, and 'tasters' were encouraged by the bar staff.
We went there on Friday afternoon, and enjoyed it so much, we returned on Saturday evening, for drinks and a meal.
The food was reasonably priced, very tasty, and served up in ample helpings.
Altogether, this pub was unexpectedly welcoming, and we'll certainly return when next in Glasgow!

Reviewed 15 May 2014

I've visited this bar every time I've come to Glasgow (every 4 months). Bartenders are friendly and know their drinks. A fun bar for after work drink and if you just like to people watch and start your night off right. Doesn't feel touristy. Food was pretty good and people who seem to go to this bar are friendly sort and will chat with anyone. Good atmosphere, definitely have a visit to see what great beers they have on tap.