“Great beer, nice atmosphere”
Review of Blackfriars

Blackfriars
Ranked #273 of 2,510 Restaurants in Glasgow
Price range: US$7 - US$33
Cuisines: International
Dining options: After-hours
Description: We serve what we love - quality beers from around the world and high-calibre home-cooking. We also have a passion for live music and regularly play host to some of the most talented bands in Scotland (and occasionally from farther afield). But most importantly, we believe in a high standard of customer service - a welcoming atmosphere, attentiveness and of course, getting your pint in a timely manner (we know you're thirsty)!
Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

This is one of my regular haunts for a beer in Glasgow. In addition to the regular range if boring beers they have some guest beers and a few regulars that are more interesting. The brown and especially the white Weihenstephan "Weiss bier" are particularly refreshing alternatives. The food menu looks good with some nice twists on standard Scottish pub grub, although I can't vouch for it personally because I haven't eaten here, yet.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

Came here for food and restaurant empty apart from our table and one other. The waiter was a bit funny and made a cheeky face at me when my sister was deliberating over a specific dish. He then rolled his eyes and raised his eyebrows, as well as using an expletive when we asked his thoughts on something - he meant it in a humorous way but it did not come across well and there was an awkward silence that followed this when none of us laughed. I do feel it's inappropriate for a waiter to be swearing at customers, whether in jest or not. It crosses the line. He was also clueless about what was in what meal. I asked about the bruschetta and he couldn't tell me anything about the main course of bruschetta as opposed to the starter course. He didn't seem to know very much about the food at all when we asked him about other things. Eventually, I just took a gamble and went with what I thought as I wasn't receiving any guidance. We were served by 3 different people too - the older man was very jolly and friendly but for £30 for lunch with no alcohol for 3, it was pretty expensive. I had the chicken salad which I could have made myself easily enough, my sister had a burger, which looked quite nice, to be fair, and my brother had the steak pie, which he was able to polish off in 5 minutes. I feel it is expensive for what you get, but I'm mainly writing this review because of the service, which could definitely be improved. I think they were aiming for relaxed, friendly, personable service but instead it was unprofessional and made me feel uncomfortable.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

"What shall it be?" I inquire to this long standing buddy. One of their many Euro Pilsners', Addlestones Cider, Tempest's Saison du Pomme, Kelburn's Jaguar, or are we in the mood for a long relaxing lunch? I tap his wooden counter, bemusing the bar staff and await the decision. A SAGRES I decided and lunch will have to wait. You see Blackfriars is my dear old friend and he's always there when others have fallen. Whether it's good food, drink or entertainment I'm after he's never let me down, unlike some others to could mention :-/

A beer snob's delight, Blackfriars is a prize of a pub. Sat in the Merchant City, it's popular and lively and can be many things to many people - a craft ale pub, venue, meeting place or gastro-pub - take your pick? With a rotating range of real ale pumps plus a large variety of world beers, Blackfriars has everything the discerning drinker could wish for. The venue downstairs plays host to all sorts of late night events and the menu's not too shabby either, with Burgers, Pies, and Haggis all fantastic and decently priced.

The staff seem to stick around too. None of this quick staff turnover nonsense, which makes me think - "If staff are happy, customers are happy". I may be wrong on that, but it's certainly the impression I get. Anyway, staff longevity creates a beer, food and locale knowledge that they're more than willing to share with enthusiasm and warmth. And it's with this warm glow that I retreat to a bay window seat, order the recommended Prawn Thai Red Curry and sup my Malty Portuguese Delight.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

We were touring the city center and came upon this pub just as the rain was starting and lunch was calling. The service was attentive and contrary to our experience at UK pubs the staff came to our table to get our order (is this a new trend?). Our meal selections was Haggis Pie with Whiskey cream sauce, and Scotch broth soup and fish cakes. The pie was tasty and the sauce a nice touch (first time trying this dish). The soup was over salty and the fishcakes enjoyable. I also had a pint of Highland Pale Ale, a featured beer on this day - I did not care too much for the ale, but that is strictly a personal opinion (wish I had been offered a taster).

Reviewed 21 May 2014

En route home after a long day at work and thought it would be nice to pop in to one of my favourite pubs for a light refreshment. I enjoyed my first pint and thought I would have another but I was sadly mistaken. I approached the bar and was served by tall man with long hair who advised me that I had had too much to drink!!! I was clearly sober as had just finished my long shift. I found it ridiculous and humiliating that I was put in this position. Rest assured I will not be back. Really poor show for a bar I thought was a nice place to be. Blackfriars....you can't have more than 1 pint!!!!!!!!!

1  Thank ZZzZZzzz12344