“Good food, lovely setting, but good job we had plenty time.”
Review of Chaophraya Glasgow

Chaophraya Glasgow
Ranked #77 of 2,411 Restaurants in Glasgow
Price range: US$25 - US$51
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Chaophraya Glasgow is Europe's largest Thai restaurant! Set in one of the city's most iconic buildings, Old Athenaeum, it offers guests the ultimate Thai dining experience in a spectacular setting. Boasting four floors with luxurious private dining spaces and the glamorous Palm Sugar Bar it is the perfect place for any occasion.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Good food, lovely setting, but good job we had plenty time.”
Reviewed 16 December 2012

Was intrigued to see what the restaurant was like, as I remembered it as a department store. Money has clearly been spent and it looks very good. Lots of Buddha statues and elephants, and wide open spaces.

As a veggie the menu had quite a good choice, although all bar one main course included tofu. I like tofu so that was no problem but you'd have been a bit stuck if you didn't. Service was friendly and our order was taken quite quickly. The food was really tasty, and although not huge portions, 2 courses were plenty for lunch.

However our two course lunch took from 1:30 to 3:15, so it is as well we were not in a hurry. If you are, it would be worth mentioning it when you place your order.

I'd go back.

• Thai first
Glasgow, Scotland
“Wonderful setting, excellent food, pricey”
Reviewed 14 December 2012

We visited on a Sunday night around 8pm and hadnt booked. We were shown to a table immediately. First impressions are stunning, this place is enormous and very grand with quality fittings etc....

We had a shared mixed Satay starter, main each with 3 sides and a bottle of wine and were over £100 inc a tip. The food itself was absolutely excellent. Authentic thai, presented well, fresh and plentiful. Really good.

The staff were friendly and always available to order from.

In short and excellent restaurant and a bill to match. Not sure on set menus as we went a la carte.

• Visited November 2012
Lanarkshire, Scotland
“Decent food ruined by abysmal service”
Reviewed 11 December 2012

Booked in for a recent Christams dinner with work colleagues.

Upon arrival I was very impressed by the decor and layout. We were then shown to our table which was next to the kitchen. We ordered house wine and a beer. We had to ask waiting staff twice for my beer which seemed to go missing. The white wine was warm and the ice bucket had hardly any ice to cool it. We noticed every table was getting some sort of crackers to share at their table. We got none. Other tables had Christmas crackers, we had none.

Our starters arrived which were delicious. The staff then cleaned up our table but didnt replace any cutlery. Our main course then arrived and we had no cutlery. I had Lamb teriyaki, it was cooked well but had very little sauce. I felt it needed extra seasoning but to my dismay there was no salt, pepper, sauce or the like on our table.

We then finished our wine and wanted more but no waiting staff came anywhere near our table again. Once the main course finished we sat for 20 minutes with empty glasses and plates. No dessert menus were offered nor more drinks. We decided to flag one of the uninterested looking waiting staff down to get our bill and skip dessert as we had had enough.

The waiting staff were continually shuffling about looking disinterested and unattentive. There were lots so there was no excuse for poor service. For the price of the dishes i expected this to be much better.

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Go for the set menu!”
Reviewed 10 December 2012

My partner and I dropped in to Chaopraya in Glasgow for my birthday on 3rd December. We have been to their restaurant in Leeds where we had two fantastic meals previously.

We opted for the set menu where they bring you a selection of starters and mains to share. I would recommend the set menus over ordering a la carte as it's the perfect way to sample different things.

Pretty much everything we had was delicious; I couldn't fault the quality of the food we had. The highlight being the 5 spice pork belly which was melt in the mouth amazing! Probably the best pork belly I've ever had.

It was a quiet week night straight after work so obviously the service was pretty smooth. The waitress we had however was unsure about some of the dishes and had to take advice from a colleague when asked questions.

The bill was fairly reasonable considering we had a couple of cocktails each. No more expensive than most other nearby restaurants in Glasgow City Centre.

1 Thank Will W
“Disappointing.”
Reviewed 9 December 2012

We visited as my friend had previously had a good meal here. There were two of us, and first we were shown to an awful table, bordered on one side by a huge piece of furniture which was about ten feet high and on the other by another large table, leaving an approximately foot wide gap which led to constant bumping of our table by the extremely harrassed staff on their way past. We asked to move but were refused.
The service was so-so. Noone asked if we enjoyed our meal and we had to ask three times for tap water.
The wine was overpriced and mediocre.
The starters- thai fishcakes and chicken spring rolls- were lovely and the best part of the evening. They were expensive but portion size was good. My main had a very tasy peanut sauce, but the chicken was very dry and chewy- I didn't finish it which is unheard of!
It was very busy and perhaps the wrong time of year to judge a place, but I would not recommend based on this visit.