“have to visit”

Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 15 January 2014

i love to go to this restaurant when having time in Glasgow. Be it in the afternoon or evening it is always 1st class, and the choice is amazing, cant wait to visit again, which is only 9 days away as going there for my birthday meal. there is a wide selection of Cantonese, Sichuan and Peking dishes

Reviewed 14 December 2013

King's Lodge has been in Union Street for some years now (I'm sure it used to be a Pancake Place) and it's been our favourite Chinese buffet place since. That said, it is what it is; fast food, all you can eat and cheap too so don't go expecting haute cuisine, ambience or plinky-plonky music.

This time we went as a work's department outing for lunch and had no complaints. It's usually reasonably busy but service is always fast and efficient, even if you do have to get your own food, and empty or discarded plates are wheeched away before you know it.

There's plenty of food on offer too - from starters, a salad bar and a good range of mains, sides and sweets. Okay, it does tend towards an over-sweet, over-salty, deep/stir-fried menu using probably not the best cuts of meat but there's so much on offer, it'd be hard not to find something to your taste.

Sure you could have a healthy bowl of soup, a salad, some rice and noodles followed by ice-cream and jelly but that's not what you go into a Chinese buffet for is it?

1  Thank macindog
Reviewed 6 December 2013 via mobile

I go to this restaurant all the time, with my partner , family and friends. I always have a enjoyable time, whenever I visit Glasgow, this is my place to be, I am not a great lover of the deserts, but I am more than satisfied with the selection on offer, I love there prawns and mussels, so I do get my money's worth. Great selection, food hot, great value for money , staff very friendly, and quickly clear plates. It can be a bit tight with the tables, but don't let that put you off, really great value for money, go try it, you won't regret it.

Reviewed 31 October 2013

You get what you pay for, the food is okay with lots of variety. Some if the choices did lack flavour, the duck wasn't that flavoursome. However; I did enjoy the crispy chilli beef. The staff were efficient and clearing the the table and very friendly. Although it was okay I don't think I would return.

Reviewed 28 October 2013

I have been to the Kings Lodge buffet a couple of times and I have previously had no complaints. Being a buffet, I always leave stuffed, and fairly happy with my experience. However, my last visit was on Friday night there with my girlfriend and I have to say, this was not as enjoyable for me. There is a wide range of food which is fine but I can't help thinking they compromise quality for this. I had came in starving and ready to eat loads. I took a few battered chicken wings and some spare ribs to begin with. Not what I was hoping for! The chicken wings were completely tasteless and the spare ribs were very, very dry. I thought this might have been down to the amount of time they had sat there but even when the fresh ones came out they were just as bad. I then thought about having some soup but after taking the lid off of the container they are in and having a look I changed my mind immediately. It didn't look good at all. I then decided to load up a plate of my favourite...chicken satay on the skewers with satay sauce, which to be fair, was actually quite nice. Thank God! I wasn't going to be leaving hungry. I also tried the crispy shredded beef which is another of my favourites but after eating my first fork full, decided not to eat any more of it because I didn't fancy a trip to the dentist on Monday morning. I had another plate of this and that but I remember thinking none of it was that great. The roast duck was quite good but not enough to save the day. After having some peaches and ice-cream for dessert, I left felling quite full. The buffet price is cheap, but I would rather pay a little bit more if the food was of a higher quality. After leaving I wished we had maybe tried one of the other Chinese restaurants around the city centre - even if it meant paying a that couple of quid extra. Not a great experience this time round and I won't be rushing back anytime soon.

2  Thank Liam M