“Better than an hotel”

Olympic House Apartments
London/Croydon
“Better than an hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2013

Great location and overall a good choice. Spacious apartment, well equipped and very clean. However, bring coffee and tea, sugar etc if more than one person or staying more than 1 night as only a couple of sachets of each supplied. Only a very small bar of soap and small shower gel supplied. Biggest problem was I arrived at 9 to find reception closed. Fortunately, a friend had also booked an apartment and so knew what i needed to do. Make sure if you are arriving after 5pm you contact them in advance for instructions on how to access building and apartment, if you don't you won't get in and they don't send you instructions in advance!! I had an apartment ending 07 which had the bedroom at the back of the building and was very quiet but my friend had one ending 06 where the bedroom overlooked a very noisy George Sq. Only 2 pillows supplied so if you need more ask in advance. Now i know the pitfalls i would stay at this place again

Room Tip: the apartments are on corner of Queen street and George Sq, entrance next to Greggs
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Dandridge, Tennessee
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2013

In a nutshell, the place is presently uninhabitable. The noise from construction is literally 24/7 during the weekdays and only somewhat better on weekends.

No assistance from management or Expedia in relocating room or even arranging for alternate accommodations.

Before you book in the immediate future, best check on the status of the heavy machinery in front of and along the side of the building. If on the other hand you don't need sleep, a delightful experience awaits.

Room Tip: Start by asking for another hotel
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank cigarron

Travellers are raving about these Glasgow hotels

Belgrade, Serbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2013

There are two immediate things to bear in mind if you are thinking of visiting Olympic House. It is of course no fault of Olympic House, but there is a major construction site on the corner of Queen Street and Ingram Street. That unfortunately, is directly outside your bedroom and lounge window. I visited at the weekend and was spared on that particular Sunday. However,until well into Friday evening and from 7am on Saturday the noise was seriously disconcerting and sleep nigh impossible. That site is a long way from completion.
The second thing to be mindful of is that effectively you are on your own here. If you are the type of traveller who cannot live without a concierge or on-the-spot assistance, look elsewhere. Again to be fair to Max Serviced Apartments, this is made clear by them at all times. In particular, by whichever method you book here, you must absolutely ensure you have an e-mail or instructions on how to enter the apartments, should you be checking-in out of normal business hours. Again, this was not a problem for me(I received an e-mail the day before) but I rescued a young couple from the ferocious lashing rain of a Glasgow Friday night who did not have such requisite information and were languishing on the wrong side of the front door. Once more, I impute no fault to Max Serviced Apartments as I do not know how this disconnect happened. I mention it as a precaution for future visitors.
As a Glaswegian myself, the last thing I want to do is post a negative review and the apartment itself exactly met my needs. The location is perfect both for leisure and business visitors eg the airport bus service leaves from directly outside. I was also very happy with the value for money I received.
Personally, I will be happy to visit again - but I'll be sure to check out how the building site is coming along first!

Room Tip: Higher floor facing George Square would be my recommendation.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Castle Donington, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2013

Excellent, very central location. 10/10 so far.

The living area was spacious, light(we were in corner room,605, with 6 sash windows) & clean (although the windows were in desperate need of cleaning) & well kitted out.(9.5/10)

The bedroom was a good size with an adequate double bed although the pillows were totally inadequate, they were wafer thin! (8.5/10)

The bathroom was clean with shower over bath however we were unable to remove the plug when we showered meaning we had to stand in a few inches of water when showering. When I reported this to the on site management, I was told "It was damaged a few months ago by a previous guest" However, it was sorted later that day- the plug was removed(luckily we didn't want a bath!) I did wonder why it hadn't been fixed if it happened "months ago"? He should've said "last week" & I'd have been none the wiser!!There was also 1 or 2 loose floor tiles & a lot of grout missing.(7.5/10)

There is no parking but we were well aware of this & used the Parkatmyhouse app to find cheap secure parking. There is city centre parking but as with most cities, this is expensive.(7.0/10)

These were all minor inconveniences, though, compared to the noise(NB there is no double glazing!) There is a new shopping development being built directly next to these apartments & will be ongoing until completion in 2015. There was the usual noise associated with city centres, ie people leaving pubs/clubs at all hours, though they were less annoying than the street sweepers before 6am!!(Final score 5/10)

Unfortunately, I cannot recommend Max serviced apartments to anyone other than those who sleep very soundly!! However, if they were to install double glazingThere are several other types of similarly priced accommodation all within 10mins of this location & I will be choosing one of those on my next visit to Glasgow.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2013

Spent a few days here for a wedding. The location was okay to walk to restaurants & pubs. The big downside was the noise. Our room faced Queen street and there is constant noise & really bad at night. You can't sleep with the windows open due to the drunk people outside. I don't know that I'd stay in Glasgow city centre because of it. Oh, bring your own toilet paper, the flat doesn't provide any!

• Stayed August 2013
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2013

,we went to stay at the Olympic house apartment for three days on the 18th july 2013,on arrival we telephone the apartments as there was nowhere to park outside,the manager arranged to come outside to help us unload our car and show us where the public carpark was,he also arranged for help from staff to help me get our things upstairs while my partner went with him to find the carpark,the carpark charges £16 a day but you get 5o%off when you stay at the apartments. the apartment was very large with views over queens street,which was nice but it was also very noisey as the building next door was being knocked down,the apartment appeared to be spotless but when I opened the fridge I found it was dirty and some old milk plus some mouldy pasta was in the freezer,my partner went and told the mananger and within minutes a cleaner was sent up to clean the fridge out,i also noticed that when I walked around for a while my feet were very dirty from the floors[even though they looked clean]the kitchen looked good but their wasnt many pots to cook with [2pots and 1frying pan]the frying pan was greasy so had to be washed before use,it was a really hot weekend but we were unable to open the windows more that a a few inches as they had security wires on them , their was no airconditioning or fans,the apartments are in an ideal place to visit the city and the manager couldn't have been more helpful but I think the cleaning firm they use needs to be chased up a bit.buy the way make sure you take your own loo paper as none was left for us.

Room Tip: choose a higher room as theirs not so much noise
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kittycat56_13
Preston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2013

Stayed there in July, had top floor apartment with balcony. Well air conditioned and great location with plenty of bars and restaurants. Easy check in with keys left in safe. would definitely stay again.

• Stayed July 2013
michellebrownmax, General Manager at Olympic House Apartments, responded to this review, 21 July 2013
Thank you for your positive feedback and I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay at Max Olympic House Glasgow. We work hard to ensure all guests enjoy their time with us and we are proud of our city centre locations and apartment benefits. We look forward to welcoming you back soon. Thank you for choosing MAX.