“Custom tour of Highlands and Skye”

Stravaigin Scotland
Ranked #5 of 92 Tours in Glasgow
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Scotland's best day trips! Customized Private Guided Tours of Scotland. Whisky Tours, Sight Seeing, Golf Outings, & Relaxing Spa Days. We will create a tailored itinerary especially for you...! From Edinburgh & Glasgow and direct from your hotel.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Wonderful experience with Derrick and Hamish! We had a family tour consisting of grandparents, 2 daughters with husbands and 3 grandchildren. Derrick was awesome in customizing our trip and making sure we saw everything we possibly could! Took lots of time and the heart of our 3 year old :). Wonderful trip and would recommend the company and Derrick to all.

1  Thank mdcip
Stravaigin-Scotland, Director of Sales at Stravaigin Scotland, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Thank you for your lovely review. I am so pleased you all enjoyed the tour and thank you for sharing the picture of your handsome boy with us, delighted he likes his kilt! It was a pleasure to have you on board and we would love to welcome you back sometime. Take care.

All reviews
"his knowledge"
in 7 reviews
"true stories"
in 2 reviews
"scottish history and culture"
"fairy pools"
"always on time"
"wonderful tour"
in 6 reviews

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

While on a British Isles cruise we spent two days touring with Stravaigin in Scotland. Everything about the experience was positive. First I connected with Carol Hassard who was extremely responsive and helpful to me coordinating a shore excursion with four other couples we had never met.

From Glasgow/Greenock, we toured with George to Luss, Loch Lomond and Inverary Castle. George kept us entertained while on the road in between stops and could not have been more accommodating to the wants and needs of our group.

Second from Invergordon, we toured with James (Shames) to Loch Ness, Urquhart Castle, Fort Augustus for the Locks of the Caledonian Canal, Culloden Battlefield & Visitor Centre, and the mystical “Craigh Na Dun” stone circle - Clava Cairns. Weather interrupted our Culloden and Clava stops but everyone was still enjoying our tour. James is truly a Scottish treasure and everything was wonderful (except that little incident stopping our vehicle - eh James).

I truly enjoyed everything about my experience with Stravaigin and would give my highest recommendation to anyone travelling to this region.

Stravaigin-Scotland, Director of Sales at Stravaigin Scotland, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear Charley, thank you so much for your lovely review. I am delighted you enjoyed your tours with George and James (including the unscheduled emergency stop!). You were a pleasure to work with and we would be delighted to welcome you on board again should ever you find yourself in Scotland.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I hosted a group of fellow romance authors on a highland tour crafted by Stravaigain. I can’t say enough about Stravaigain and Carol. She was a pleasure to work from beginning to end. The coach was comfortable and clean. The tour was fantastic and everything went off without a hitch. I have to say as well as this was organized, the highlight of our trip was our tour guide James. I’ve already requested him for my trip next summer. He is a master storyteller. He doesn’t just spout bits of history, he spins a tale so passionate and real that you are transported to the battle of Culloden or the massacre at Glencoe. But it wasn’t all tears and sorrow. We laughed at his jokes, sighed at his tales of highland romance, and I think we all left with a wee crush on our tour guide. Simply perfect.

Mary, thank you so much for your review. It is truly appreciated that you took the time to write this. I am delighted you enjoyed the tour and have passed on your kind words to James. We are looking forward to working with you again for your 2018 trip. Take care.

Reviewed 11 June 2018

I never had a connection to Scotland and I never thought of visiting. However, after seeing Ian’s beautiful photos, specifically of a kirkyard covered in bluebells, I was hooked. Ian informed me that I had to be in Scotland at a certain time, and I think if he could have arranged it for maximum flowering, he would have. That’s how far Stravaigin Tours goes to try to fill their client’s dreams. The blue bells were not at peak flowering, but the scene at Ballachullish was lovely, nonetheless. Ian picked us up for a 4 day tour of the Highlands and Skye in a beautiful, new bespoke Range Rover, having pre-arranged hotel rooms for each night’s stop. We rode in comfort and style, enjoying Ian’s stories which melded humor, history, geography and national pride to the sites we were experiencing. I fell in love with the “hairy coos” (Highland cattle), and Ian made sure we had plenty of time to interact with them, even taking us to a farm where we could purchase food to feed them (if they were in the mood). Taking us outside of the beaten path, he showed us “his” Scotland, at least that is how it felt. As if he were showing his favorite places to his friends, not clients. We went on a rail trip from Fort William to Mallaig, to catch the ferry to Skye (over the Sea to Skye), enjoying the most scenic rail trip over Harry Potter’s viaduct while Ian raced to meet us at the other end. We saw everything from a working ferry dog to Nessie in Inverness to mount Ben Nevis and the WW II Commando Memorial; a Viking King’s resting place and Bronze Age burial mounds; an ancient, circular high rise “apartment complex” ; live music at.a neighborhood pub where he taught 2 ladies the fine points of Scotch Whiskey; castles where clan chiefs lived and even one where the king and queen of the fairies live, and a magical, eerie pagan cloutie well. Those are just the highlights. All on our schedule, where we never felt rushed or hurried along. I am an avid photographer and Ian was very helpful to make a sure we got the best vantage points (although it is hard to take a bad shot in the Highlands). His recommendations for lunch and dinner restaurants were excellent (try Cullen Skink soup in Mallaig and if you are a chocoholic, ask where to get the best hot chocolates anywhere). If you can only do one private tour, do it with Stravaigin and hope that you are lucky enough to share Ian’s Scotland. I can’t say enough about this tour, the beautiful, varied ecosystems and scenes of the Scottish countryside and our brawny, sweet guide in a kilt. The memories of my Scottish Highland tour will stay with me forever, as will the warm feelings of friendship I have for Ian and the people of Scotland.

Stravaigin-Scotland, Director of Sales at Stravaigin Scotland, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Thank you for such a beautiful review. We are delighted you enjoyed your time in Scotland and it sounds as if you have memories to last a lifetime! It was a pleasure to have you both on board and a delight to show you Scotland. I hope you will venture back one day.

See more reviews
Reviewed 9 June 2018

My parents and I went on a four day private Highland tour with George as our tour guide, and we had a wonderful time. George was not only extremely flexible about the daily activities for each day but also spent a lot of time trying to customize our trip to match our personalities. Moreover, he tried very hard to show us areas of Scotland that we, as tourists, would not normally get to see, which led to many highlights of our trip such as the Fairy Pools on the Isle of Skye or feeding deer near the Three Sisters. Finally, at the end of our trip, because my dad had been talking about a kilt non-stop the whole week, George (very kindly and thoughtfully) gifted him an apron kilt, the closest we would let him get. :) Thank you for an amazing trip! P.S. Thanks also to Carol for arranging everything for the tour.

1  Thank Sarika B
Stravaigin-Scotland, Director of Sales at Stravaigin Scotland, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2018

Sarika, thank you for taking the time to leave such a lovely review. We are delighted you enjoyed your tour and have gone home with lasting memories. Thank you for your kind words and if ever you visit Scotland again we would love to arrange another trip for you.