“Perfect venue for a wedding”

The Museum of Piping
Book In Advance
More Info
US$19.63*
and up
City Sightseeing Glasgow Hop-On Hop-Off Tour
Ranked #65 of 272 things to do in Glasgow
More attraction details
Owner description: See and Hear the Heritage of the Great Highland Bagpipe at the National Piping Centre. The Museum of Piping at The National Piping Centre holds three hundred years of piping heritage. Consisting of artefacts from the rich collections of National Museums of Scotland, this is the most authoritative display of its kind anywhere in the world. An outstanding item is the chanter of Iain Dall (Blind John) MacKay, the oldest surviving chanter of the Highland bagpipe anywhere in the world. The exhibition also shows bagpipes from Lowland Scotland and other parts of the British Isles, as well as from mainland Europe. The exhibition also features displays on bagpipe manufacture and the printing of pipe music. A fascinating film on the history, culture and music of the bagpipe completes the exhibition.
Glasgow, Scotland
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“Perfect venue for a wedding”
Reviewed 7 January 2014 via mobile

I recently held my wedding in the piping centre and I can't speak highly enough of the team who assisted with the day and looked after us.
The service was conducted by sparkly lights and candlelight and was transformed into an amazing space for the reception in the evening. We had our drinks reception in the museum which was a real talking point.
A fantastic venue, with such attentive staff who not only ensured the wedding ran smoothly but also looked after my bridesmaid and I the night before. A huge recommendation for anyone looking for a romantic venue for their big day.
(I recommend the haggis,neeps and tattie pies for part of your buffet!)

Visited January 2014
1 Thank Linz01

• Greek first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Not for wheelchairs!”
Reviewed 16 November 2013

Visited the Centre two days ago with my wheelchair bound husband. The staff with whom we came in contact were delightful, smiling, pleasant and as helpful even in the face of two rather disgruntled people. The Pipers' Tryst, the bistro attached to the Centre, has no disabled access - only stairs!
We were told to go to "the wee wooden door round the corner" and wait till someone came. We waited and waited - fortunately it was not raining as there was no shelter - but no one came. I went into the Piping Centre and the receptionist there very pleasantly set off to find what was the matter. I returned and we waited and waited. Had we not arranged to meet someone inside, we would have gone, which I suspect would have been a relief for everyone! Another journey inside to enquire as to what the delay was and on my return to where my husband was waiting the door was opening and we were conducted into the service lift. We suspect the key for the door could not be found but were not given an explanation.

The building an old converted church, presumably listed to some degree, does not lend itself easily, though not impossibly, to being ramped. I also can appreciate the problem with keeping the "wee wooden door" locked for security reasons nor do I object to having to pass through the 'below stairs' area but until more permanent measures are taken to admit wheelchairs, surely a policy can be implemented to allow wheelchair users a more dignified entrance. It was very demeaning and if my husband had been on his own he would have spent the afternoon on the street. Not all people in wheelchairs require a carer with them at all times. Please, please do not punish the disabled and review your policy re the "wee wooden door" and plan for a ramp as soon as possible.
Despite these serious problems we enjoyed our visit but were unable to linger in the shop where we had hoped to make purchases, as the lass was waiting to escort us to the service lift and the "wee wooden door" My husband was interested in the display of pipes as well as in the shop but we were unable spend any money!! We will return ONLY when access is sorted out.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank Kate L
Warrington, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Wonderful venue for a wedding”
Reviewed 17 August 2013

We attended a wedding here, the staff were very helpful, they looked after those in our party with disabilities, offering the lift to move between floors. The drinks aren't the cheapest but neither were they very expensive. The food was gorgeous. The museum is really interesting to wander through.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Tracy G
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Nice place”
Reviewed 6 May 2013 via mobile

Went for my friends wedding. Really nice place. Had a lot of fun

Only down side is the price of the drinks. 3 drinks for £15.

Had a great night with my friends.

Defo would go again