“Not Authentic Japanese Food”
Review of Yokoso Glasgow - CLOSED

Yokoso Glasgow
Cuisines: Japanese, Asian, Sushi
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Not Authentic Japanese Food”
Reviewed 21 August 2013

More like the noodle dishes I have eaten in Chinese restaurants. The food was cooked by a chef who was not japanese. We ate with a deal for half price food and were still disappointed. The staff were good, and made us feel very welcome, but I do not think we will return

Lanark, United Kingdom
“hardly authentic Japanese”
Reviewed 21 August 2013

we got a deal (via Amazon local) for a main meal, green tea and dessert for £12 (regular price £24.20). There are few Japanese restaurants in Scotland and since we lived in Tokyo for a couple of years, we really miss the cuisine. We called with little notice and they were able to fit us in. When we arrived we realised this was because we ere the only customers, though to be fair this was a little early. The welcome (Yokoso!) was nice - the staff were very friendly and helpful, but I concur with previous reviewers that the food is very bland. Chinese soya sauce is used rather than shoyu, which makes everything overly salty. The mains are uninteresting, basically everything is teriyaki (purportedly), and is very watery and salty. It's just like all the other Japanese/noodle restaurants. Sticking a large mural of Tokyo station doesn't add any authenticity. I'm just glad we didn't pay full price, as the portions were small.

Renfrew, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“positive feedback”
Reviewed 20 August 2013

I bought a voucher and booked for friends before reading the reviews on this rest.
When I read the reviews I gave the friends the option of going or not. They decided as voucher was already bought we should go. When I made the booking I told the girl about the bad reviews.
We went to the rest last night, 19th Aug.
We decided on a starter and shared 2 plates of mixed tempura battered prawns, chicken, and veg with small very fresh veg. Tempura batter was very light and in no way gloopy.Very tasty. Next we all had the Terryaki. 1beef, 1 chicken, and 2 sea bass. Again nicely cooked and presented with rice. After that we each had a different dessert which we all said was nice.
We were given green tea to drink, but the males in the group wanted a beer (which we brought along ) and they were given a bottle opener and glasses without any fuss made.
The girl that served us was very friendly and we left saying we would go back.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
“I have just wasted £20!”
Reviewed 18 August 2013

I had a home delivery menu which had appeared through the letter box some time ago and decided to give it a go despite it being expensive because the choices looked tasty. The menu offered both large & small size options for the main course but I was told they now only offer one size which turned out to be not only tiny but £1 more expensive than the "large" on the menu. (£8.95) Other than that, lets go through it by dish:-
The Prawn Katsu half roll maki was tasty enough but make too wide & loosely packed so that the inside fell out as soon as you picked it up.
The Salt & Pepper Squid was luke warm, soggy & totally lacking in pepper.
The Yokoso Spice and Sour Chicken was, well to be honest I think they gave me the wrong dish. There was no sour taste to it & there was none of the advertised pineapple. On top of that, the "tempura coating" was gloopy & just as soggy as the coating on the salt & pepper squid. Even the rice was totally overcooked. I paid £20 for this gloop & I'm still hungry! I have no idea how these people have managed to stay in business but I for one have chucked the menu in the bin to be sure no-one else in my household makes the same mistake as I just did.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Sack the chef.”
Reviewed 2 August 2013 via mobile

Where to start? I'd like to be fair because the manager was a reasonable chap and tried to make things better by refunding me in full but here's the story of my Yokoso experience.

Having Japanese friends I have learned to truly appreciate the subtleties in the flavours and textures of this fabulous cuisine. So not having a single Asian staff member present in the restaurant should have rang alarm bells.... but I was in a hurry and just needed a quick takeaway... and what can go wrong with stir fried udon and veggies anyway??

Well, the 'chef' burned it that's what... by not stirring, or moving the ingredients about in the wok I'd guess. When I opened the container in the hotel and saw the charred vegetables I was in half a mind to let it go but felt a complaint was a more public spirited approach as burned food has been proven to be carcinogenic.

When the manager showed the 'chef' the unwanted meal he shook his head saying there was nothing wrong with it.

I haven't even mentioned the fact that all the onion was in one roughly chopped lump that looked as though it had been tossed into the wok and not touched until dispensing into the plastic takeaway container. Sack the 'chef' would be my advice to the owner.

And for potential customers? Avoid.