“Always a special treat for our family”
Review of Nippon Kitchen

Price range: £10 - £25
Cuisines: Sushi, Asian, Japanese, Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Private Dining, Reservations, Takeout
Neighbourhood: Merchant City
Description: Modern Japan meets old Glasgow in this cool and contemporary refurb of a Grade A listed City Centre building.Authentic Japanese food made using fresh locally sourced ingredients and served in a relaxed and informal setting.Serving crisp tempura, mouth-watering noodle dishes, the freshest sushi, handmade to order, and much more.A true taste of Japan in the centre of Glasgow.
Reviewed 4 August 2016 via mobile

Today was the second time I visited Nippon Kitchen with my children, and once again we had a fantastic meal. The staff are friendly and efficient. The food choices are great. Food comes out quickly and isn't only stunning but tastes delicious, especially the Bento Boxes. The portions are also huge, but prices are extremely reasonable considering the quality and quantity. And most importantly for us, the children feel like they have had a true Japanese treat. I would highly recommend this restaurant and we will certainly be back again soon.

Reviewed 4 August 2016

Dinner reservation Thursday at 8:30. We arrive there and there’s people trying to get a sit. Good sign. The place is nice, clean, good atmosphere.

We sit down and the waitress tells us she’s tired (Uh-Oh).

We order our meal and it’s delicious. (Prawn teriyaki donburi. & California Maki Mono for me).

Then I look at my friends Bento Boxes and I think I made a mistake; plenty of food for them for the same price but not enough for me. (So if you go there make sure you order one of those boxes).

Halfway through the meal (around 9:15) the tired waitress tells us that it’s the last orders for both food and drinks. The place doesn’t close until 10 on a Thursday but that’s the last orders.

So we rushed through the dessert menu trying to think if we’ll fancy another bite but it’s difficult to imagine while having a sushi roll in your mouth.

Right after that, the staff starts rushing us with our meal (picking up plates while your eating, asking more than twice if you’re done with your food, etc). So we feel a bit pushed to finish quickly and decide to leave and try to find another place for a dessert.

Overall the place is nice, and the food is tasty. The service however (at least in this occasion) left much to be desire, especially when the staff assumed that the change left from the bill was their tip (even after they’ve nagged you to get out), so they don’t even bother on bringing it back to your table.

Then again, they might just have had a bad day (as we all do).

Would I recommend it?… I’d probably advice anyone wanting something like this to visit Wagamama instead… it’s a bit more casual but the food is just as nice (if not better) and the staff and service is lovely there.

Date of visit: July 2016
1  Thank Chnt D
Reviewed 3 August 2016

I would just like to say well done for the amazing food we had on Monday 1/8/16. The waitresses were so attentive and friendly.
I have had one bad experience at nipon kitchen before but I will definitely return very soon.

Reviewed 2 August 2016 via mobile

Tried nipon kitchen for the first time yesterday and it is hands down some of the best Japanese food I've had! The sushi was lovely and the katsu curry was fantastic but I've always loved agedashi tofu and this was the best I've had!
The restaurant itself is lovely and all of the staff were so friendly!
I'm looking forward to my next visit!

Reviewed 1 August 2016 via mobile

Had the most amazing meal here on a busy Friday night- found it hard to choose from the vast menu so settled on a bento box to get a mix of things. It was absolutely delicious, and my boyfriends chilli noodles looked fantastic as well. The drinks were also brilliant- the lychee and sake martini was maybe the best cocktail I've had in Glasgow! All very good value for money- good portion sizes and we were both too stuffed for dessert! Will definitely be back and thoroughly recommend!

2  Thank vsmarinello