“They touch everything with hands”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Red Pepper

Red Pepper
Ranked #1,726 of 2,389 Restaurants in Glasgow
Good for: Kids
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“They touch everything with hands”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014

The food is good but the people very imperfessional they think they are at home eating their lunch while cooking. touching face and then all the salad with hands. no hair nets or hats worn.I wish they would be more professional and stop thinking that they are at home :(

• Visited January 2014

samurai86
“Shame”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2014

Ok, let me start off by saying that i've been to this place various times over the past few weeks and my feelings/thoughts/observations have been the same ALL the times i've been.

Food Quality:
Absolutely brilliant. Good quality meals (can vouch for the Chicken burger) and chips are nice.

Food Presentation:
Brilliant. Definitely stands out from all the other takeaways i've been (similar ones).

Seating:
Nice - plenty of seats with a private section.

Service:
So lets leave best for last - or in this case worst for last. Awful. I think I am speaking for the entire Glasgow or all their regular customers here. 1 star does not do justice - I wish Tripadvisor would go in the negative as a one-off Red Pepper special. Lets break it down:

- Phone Orders
If you place your order when you get there, your order will arrive in 30 minutes - even if its just chips. Logically, a regular like me tries to order over the phone prior to coming in. No point. They have on occasions taken orders over the phone and not taken it down - only to get in and find out that im having to repeat my order and them taking it down on the computer system. On my most recent visit - I placed an order over the phone at 13:50 and was told on the phone it would take 20 minutes. I gave them 30. Went in and turned out they hadn't even put my order in their system! I finally got my order at 14:50 - exactly an hour later (2 burgers) and they were wrong orders when I got in (it was a takeaway order).

- Waiting Game
Expect to wait for a long time. If your in a rush, do not even consider coming here in the off-chance something will be ready. It won't. You'd think on a busy day, they'd consider having their grill full so when customers are queuing up - they have food ready coming off.

- Staff
Extremely rude. Including the owner (Saqib a.k.a. Saqi - big bearded guy). They don't / can't take simple custom orders down i.e. no sauce etc. Considering they take SO long in fulfilling orders, if they mess up - you have to wait longer as your pushed back to the queue because THEY messed up. On my most recent visit - a frustrated customer at the front of the queue got a little annoyed as he had been waiting for his burger for approximately 40 minutes. When he simply asked Saqib (the owner) - the response that he got was (and im not making this up) " I can't do anything to speed it up, you came at the wrong time. Its not my problem. Your at the end of the queue" - even although he was there for 40 minutes AND thats besides the point. The tone in which he was spoken to was outrageous. The customer, after having waited 40 minutes, walked away from the shop without his order and didn't even want to wait for his money to be refunded in disgust at the owners behaviour. I would never speak to my customers the way he did. Absolutely shocking. One of the reasons I shall be boycotting this place. Next - they throw down everything in front of you i.e. chip & pin machine, orders and sauces. Rude. Extremely rude. I witnessed this directly from Saqib.

Pricing:
Its true - they say you pay for quality. The meals are nice here. The service is atrocious. For this, the price is NOT worth paying. For a pricey meal, a decent meal AND service is required.

All in all - if you have lots of time on your hands and don't mind paying for an expensive meal that may or may not be the meal you ordered & can handle the staff's attitude problems - then go ahead visit Red Pepper. Otherwise, go to the many other [better] places on Albert Drive - Halal Kebab, Lahore Kebab etc. Or even better - Chunky Chicken.

p.s. worth noting - Saqib (current owner of Red Pepper) is the same guy who opened up the Chicken Hut in Govanhill a couple of years ago. It shut down (not surprised).

• Visited March 2014
10 Thank samurai86
Glasgow, Scotland
“Good Food, with a wee but!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014

Good, fresh, well prepared food. Dining experience a bit confusing. Hot food & ice cream/tea etc.sold as 2 different shops. Did not expect the cafe self-ordering style and the round tables with bench seats. They need rectangular tables. I had the 'masala' fish & chips which was just fish & chips sprinkled with piri-piri salt + some raw onion & sliced green chillies. Tasty, but disappointed. I had expected the spices to be mixed with the batter, something special. Others in party had delicious lamb burger & 'special' fish. Both were happy with their choice. I'm the only moaner! Will possibly go back but not in a hurry.

• Visited February 2014