“Yet another fantastic stay at the Artto”
Review of Artto Hotel

Artto Hotel
Ranked #73 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 19 August 2013

We have just returned from another great 7 day stay at the Artto. Bobby and the staff made us very welcome as usual. Great to have a top of the range Indian (Bombay Blues) next door + all the shops, transport hubs within 5 mins walk. Cant reccomend this hotel enough. Cant wait untill the next time.
Just want to thank Bobby and all the staff for making it a great trip for us AGAIN !

Cheers Bobby ! Our regards to all :-)

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 18 August 2013

Stayed here one night for work and was unfortunately very disappointed. The hotel is in a great location being directly opposite central station and the staff were extremely welcoming and very friendly. Sadly that is where the praise ends. When I arrived the bar was closed and there were notices saying they were unable to serve alcohol or allow it to be consumed on the premises which was a shame as the lobby and bar are the best looking bits of the hotel. My room was, frankly, atrocious. While clearly being vacuumed and clean it was shabby beyond belief. I was unable to open the windows and had no air conditioning so it was impossibly hot. There was a dreadful constant smell of cooking from the restaurant next door and it was noisy. I was exhausted from work/travel and starving but as the hotel has no kitchen there is no room service and I didn't fancy a restaurant alone. The spotlights in the ceiling were either missing, scorched or dangling out, half of the light above the dressing table area was off and hanging out too. Sadly the bed was lumpy and far too big for the room (evidence of this can be found by smacking your shins off the corner every time you leave the bathroom!) I would have requested another room had it not been a work trip. The bathroom had obviously been cleaned but is in a pitiful state. The area the base of the bath is rusty, the painted toilet seat is peeling in a very unappealing fashion and the tiles are cracked. The bottom of the bath is badly stained and there was a dirty cigarette burn near the plug hole, needless to say I didnt use the shower. The mirror was very cracked and there was also a worrying and very unsightly mark across it which I didn't investigate. I think the hotel is probably undergoing something of a face lift as, as I said the lobby/bar area and lifts were very good looking and nicely finished but this clearly hasn't extended to the room I was in! Not sure how far they'll get establishing 3-4 stars with no kitchen either. Such a shame x

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Ailsa D
Reviewed 15 August 2013

Stayed here for one night. Fantastic location opposite Central station. In amongst plenty of bars and eating establishments. Perhap this is fortunate as although the hotel has a lovely bar area, there is a sign up at the reception desk saying alcohol cannot be consumed in the hotel. Not sure why this is, but I can only presume it would be something to do with the lack of a drinks licience. Rather strange for a hotel. They must surely be losing money on this! Anyway, apart from that, the hotel room was adequate. Resembled a Travelodge or Premier Inn type room. Next door was an Indian restaurant called Bombay Blue. Not sure if this is actually part of hotel, but it had similar fairy lighting in the window so might well be. This was a superb restaurant. We had the buffet at £12.95 and it was fantastic, (although they do have an a la carte menu aswell). Plenty of choice (starters, mains and a few deserts) and loads of flavours. Bottle of wine was £13.50. Very reasonable. I would definately recommend it. On the whole, this 3* hotel was fine. Handy for shops and bars. Just a pity we weren't made aware that they couldn't serve alcoholic drinks prior to booking. Not that I am a big drinker, but I do like a nightcap before I retire to bed after a hard day shopping!

Room Tip: Rooms facing the main road could be a bit noisey if you are a light sleeper
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 August 2013

Stayed here last night, hotel is lovely and in a great location and was a great value for money. Definitely request a room to the back of the hotel as we were on the first floor overlooking the main road and the noise was awful and we didn't sleep well cause of it! Would definitely stay again just in a different room!

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 19 July 2013

I stayed for a couple of nights at this hotel. The hotel had recently been found to be selling alcohol without a license and so they are unable to serve alcohol or let you drink alcohol on the premises.

The door to the bathroom was too big for the door frame so you had to just wedge it as shut as possible

I ordered a cooked breakfast but due to a mix up between the waitress and the chef it was not cooked. Unfortunately, rather than make the breakfast the chef went in the huff with the waitress and didn't bother. The waitress didn't tell me any of this until I had given up waiting and went to leave.

the staff had been very helpful but i needed a nice breakfast to get me on my way rather than just smiling faces.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank MartinF99
Reviewed 19 July 2013

We booked the hotel for a short midweek break for my 50th Birthday. Location is excellent, right next to Central Station. Staff very pleasant. Our 3rd floor room was compact but clean and tidy. We had twin beds - I found it comfy but hubby didn't!!
Had expected it to be noisy but it wasn;t;; maybe that was due to us being round the back though.
The handwash/shower gel smelt nice in the bathroom!
We had booked bed and breakfast so were very disappointed when we went down for breakfast the first morning to discover piles of used crockery on all the tables and only 1 member of staff rushed off her feet.
Breakfast selection was poor on both days; cold meats and cheese left out on the table in extremely hot weather. As vegetarians, we opted for cornflakes and fruit juice!
Would recommend that they invest in some better quality loo roll - thin, cheap stuff doesn't really fit with the overall feel of the hotel.
Will use this hotel again.

Room Tip: Ask for a back room; its probably much quieter than a front one!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KazMolloy
Reviewed 6 July 2013

We stayed at Artto when visiting Glasgow to watch Bon Jovi at Hamden Park and spending a few days sight seeing. The hotel is a great place to stay, just over the road from the central train station, train out to Hamden Park takes about 10 minutes, and the hotel is very centrally based with plenty of bars, restaurants and shops within walking distance. Our room 308, could do with repainting but was very clean, large comfortable bed. Plenty of hot water, good shower, large soft towels. Not over large but plenty big enough, with lots of storage. The breakfast was very good. With all the basics covered, staff extremely helpful. We booked the city sightseeing open top bus online before we travelled and used this to travel round the city getting on and off at the various sights. If we went to Glasgow again we would definitely say here again. Great value for money

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family