“Boutique on the Cheap”
Review of Artto Hotel

Artto Hotel
Ranked #74 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Rooms very basic, walls need painting as you could see a lot of marks on the wall from previous customers, especially next to the tea tray. Bathrrom floor tiles uneven, large areas of mould at end of the bath and shower head holder was broken, knightmare showering with one hand, Mirror on bathroom door cracked, rooms were tidy, bed comfortable, breakfast was very average, hotel in a good location, just more time spent on the detail needed

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Simon D

Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

Came away from this hotel with a bit more than we had bargained for.. Flea bites!!
We also slept on the most uncomfortable bed, when I asked for an extra duvet to put over the bed springs that were protruding from the mattress I was very quickly given one, however, it did not have a cover. The room had electric fixings coming away from the ceiling. The bannister rail came away in my hand while climbing the stairs to the first floor and when I asked for brown bread at breakfast I was told that if I had 'special dietary needs' I should have told reception when I checked in!!!!!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Janny125
Reviewed 26 May 2014

We spent just one night in this hotel with our friends , we both had rooms on the first floor ,ours being room 104 . The room did seem to be clean and tidy with the exception of the enamel on the bottom of the bath being worn through to the black bottom .
Having spent the night however we awoke the following morning to find ourselves covered in INSECT BITES !!!!!! We cannot say for sure if they were flea or bed bug bites but some small critter from the hotel had its super from us that night !!! . The bites had to be from the hotel as We did not leave the hotel from checking in at around 4 pm , the only place we went from our room that evening was to the bar to have a few drinks .We deffinatly did not have the bites when we arrived but they were certainly there when we left !!! To our surprise both of our friends had been bitten too .
There is no way I would stay in this hotel again and the only positive I would give them is that the staff were very friendly .

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Amanda G
Reviewed 23 May 2014

Stayed here for overnight stay...rooms are dated and in need of update.
Beds are very comfortable and room has basics ie tv kettle.
Very clean corridors and bar area is tasty décor with good staff and clean.
Reception staff friendly and prompt on check-in.
All in all worth money paid for stay and very very central.

Reviewed 19 May 2014

I have to admit that prior to checking into this hotel, I was scared to go to this hotel based on some of the comments. However, I will admit I was pleasantly surprised.
Pros: Very courteous and friendly staff, the check in process was smooth, easy and quick. I had forgotten that I needed an adapter for my laptop and front desk was more than willing to give me the adapter as well as the Ethernet cable (*get back to this one later).
Room was clean and was an adequate size for one person. I had desk area and a king size bed. I had no issues with nasty smells or noise and I was on the 3rd floor. I especially liked the towel warmer and the shower had excellent water pressure. My room came with Breakfast and i loved the fact it buffet, so I could have chosen what i wanted daily.
Loved the fact, its literally step from Central station and about 5 minutes from the subway. Walking distance to shops, stores,fast food restaurants and pubs. The bus stop &Taxis are literally right outside the lobby door.

Cons: the sign on the entrance to the hotel, needs to be updated. I walked right pass it twice before I realized that was the hotel entrance. It could be that there is construction happening but a better sign would help.
The only noise that I heard from my room was the bottles when they were dumped in the trash (but this was around 1am), otherwise I was not bothered by any excess noise that affected my sleep or tranquility.
Otherwise, for the price .. this hotel is fine and I would have no problem staying here again.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 3rd and 4th floor are best, to avoid excess noise.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 May 2014

Stayed here recently on an overnight whilst visiting friends from the area. The location of the hotel to Glasgow Central was perfect for me. The room I had was on the top floor 4. There is a lift to take you here. The only concern I had was the level of noise coming from other guests shouting during the early hours of the morning...

The bedroom overall was clean and tidy, however the bathroom was of an OK standard, but the shower basing needed cleaned and also had several cracks on the compartment. The glass provided in the bathroom and the room (even though I didn't use them) were dirty upon arrival.

I had booked through an external booking agency and the rate was OK! I will probably come back here again if I was to be in the area.

1  Thank James L
Reviewed 15 May 2014

I stayed at the Artto for one night, visiting friends in Glasgow. The rate was very reasonable on a night where a large number of the hotels were fully booked or considerably more expensive. The hotel itself is located next to Glasgow’s main train station in a great central location.

Initial Impressions:
The reception and bar area provides a good initial impression – modern and fresh. Staff are friendly. The lift was unnervingly shaky and noisy (I took the stairs after the first trip).

The Room:
There was a slight stale/sour smell when initially entering (window required opening). The room was VERY small – the main door not even opening fully without touching the bed. There were a number of maintenance issues – missing bulbs on the wall, bed and shaving lights, light fitting detached from roof in bathroom, shower unit chipped. See photos. The room was clean. Bed was very uncomfortable. Sound proofing in the room was poor – largely as a result of it being located near the lift, and the door having a one inch gap at its base. There was also construction noise (hammering) for a number of hours late afternoon on the day of arrival.

Other:
Opting for the stairs over the lift, it was disappointing to see that it was at times used as a storage area (which I assume would be in breach of fire regulations). On retiring for the evening there was a large laundry bag half-blocking the stairs, and by late the following morning it had still not been removed.