“Just don't expect to sleep....”
Review of Artto Hotel

Artto Hotel
Ranked #71 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

Terrible nights stay at the Artto, at check in I was asked if I had stayed before, on reflection probably because they were surprised I was back of so! Booked via last minute, on paper looked okay, on arrival very different! Rooms tiny, no storage, smell throughout hotel, no a/c, tap broke in room, no remote for TV, noisy inside and out, bed like cardboard, just avoid!

• Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank Youraverageman

Reviewed 13 August 2014

i stayed here for the Commonwealth games . Two nights single they charged me £590 ! without breakfast, which they tried to charge me for again when I had already paid extra.
This hotel normally charges in the 60 pound bracket per night nearly a 500% increase .At the Olympics I paid 300 a night for four in two rooms at the splendid Millenium, Copthorne at the Chelsea football stadium. The Artto was dirty, stains on bedroom walls,, room just bigger than the beds, no AC, could not open windows, no storage, bars and drunks below till 3am. Very noisy road. To be given a cold cup of tea at the beginning of breakfast, and no more took the biscuit. Though staff very helpful, I booked this, my train and Games tickets within half an hour then went, I thought the hotel was £60 a night !..

Room Tip: somewhere else.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank chemmy_12
Reviewed 12 August 2014

One of the worst Hotel's I have every stayed in. There was a terrible smell throughout the Hotel. The Hotel needed a good scrub from top to bottom. The room I stayed in was in a desperate need of a lick of paint. The carpets were stained and filthy. The noise from the pub nearby was awful. If you could sleep through that, it would be a miracle. The bed, if you can call it a bed, felt like you were sleeping on a pile of bricks. Finally, the receptionist Marta. I have met many people like you in my life, trying to tell other people what to do. Please, let me give you a word of advice! Think about your own work first, and how you are with the customers, and please smile, it costs nothing.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank justin782
Reviewed 7 August 2014

This hotel is opposite the Hope Street entrance to Glasgow's Central Station so could not be more convenient for travellers coming by train. Which also means it is near enough to the shops to drop off your shopping then go back out to do more! We arrived early in the morning, far too early to book into our room, but the friendly hotel staff were happy to look after our bag until we came back later in the afternoon to check in. The room however was a bit disappointing it was rather small with only just enough room to get out of bed on the window side and in fact my husband kept brushing against the curtains and opening them as he climbed into or out of the bed! But the bathroom was a good size and plenty of hot water.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front can be quite noisy as there is a main road with bus stops outside, and bars down...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 August 2014

From the moment we checked in, this Hotel went the extra mile to make our stay great.
The staff were brilliant and very friendly. The decor of the lobby/bar was very clean and chic but, maybe a bit too dark being mostly black marble. But thats just personal opinion.
We arrived approx 9am with a 3pm check in, as we were heading to Ayr for the races. The receptionist was lovely, stowing our bags until our return a 9pm, and even finding out the weather forcast for Ayr for us. When we got back, we were given the key to our room and found all our bags waiting for us inside. The room itself was what we had expected - think Premier Inn and you won't be far off. It was spacious with immaculate en suite and plenty of storage. The very large bed was really comfy. Only criticism, and it is only a personal one, is that there were only 4 pillows. Although 4 were actually plenty because they were quite good quality, the bed was so big it would have 'looked' more appealing with 6 pillows. Not having wi-fi in the room was a pain but not enough to put me pff staying here again! it was available in the bar/reception and in the smoking area. Also, once logged in, you can stand outside the front doors and still pick it up on the street. The Housekeeping lady on the 3rd floor was worth her weight in gold! She was always readily available with extra tea/coffee/milk or iron and board. The Handyman was also really nice after we reported a broken handle on the window. These two people in particular helped make us feel welcome as they always had a cheery word and were genuinely interested in how we were filling our days and what we thought of the city. The hotel has a nice canopied smoking area for those that indulge, although that closes at 10pm and you then have to stand outside the front of the Hotel. The bar is open 24hrs a day and I never had a problem getting a glass of ice to take to my room so I could make my own G&T! Although we never ate there, there was a basic menu: Pizza, burger etc at reasonable prices. Next door is an Indian Restaurant that I believe is affiliated in someway to the Hotel. We never ate there either, but it looked well supported. The location of this hotel couldn't be better. Central station is directly opposite. There are lots of bars and 'eateries' in the same street, plus too many to name within walking distance!. We caught the 500 bus service from the airport to 'Bothwell st' which is the just a few yards up the road from the Artto. For the return journey you have to catch the bus at Buchannon st bus Station - approx 10/15 mins walk from the Hotel. All in all this is a really great Hotel that is value for money and in a superb location. If you get the chance.....BOOK IT!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 July 2014

I stayed with a family member for 5 nights and w.as very happy overall. The hotel is basic but comfortable with tea/coffee maker in room and decent sized bathroom. Not top notch but good value for the money Some reviews mentioned the smell of curry but we didnt have this for 99% of the stay , just one afternoon when we came back to the reception area. However no smell anywhere else in the place. I wouldn't bother with the wifi in reception area as it was pretty dreadful but you can go for a cup of tea at Cafe Nero a minute away and log onto The Cloud if you need to! We had asked for a quiet room at the back but there wasn't one available so faced the Central Station - the street was very noisy but even with the windows open overnight I got a good night's sleep. If you are a light sleeper insist on a back room!! Can't comment on noise if windows are shut as we visited in a heatwave so couldn't close them.
The position of the hotel trumps all minor negatives - walking distance or accessible to public transport to ANYWHERE you will need to go. Subway (5-10 minutes) cross-country train (across the road) - local trains (5minutes) - bus (5minutes) Excellent restaurants around the corner and plenty of takeaways (Costa,pret a manger ,nero etc etc,) for breakfast. I would stay again when visiting Glasgow although if you are a 5 star hotel stayer you will need to go elsewhere.

Room Tip: Room at the back and away from central station and bars (across the road)
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We stayed in this central hotel (right opposite Glasgow Central Station, taxi ranks and bus stops). Our room 111 was a big double room (really Big) it needed updating, no AC but we were given a small fan, the old Venetian blinds did not shut properly and let in a lot of the street lights into the room. My daughter had a single room up in the attic -really small but she was warned when booking! The staff were very friendly and helpful, especially the Caretaker and cleaner. There was an Indian Restaurant within the Hotel, we never ate the food as we felt we had eaten it due to the aroma permeating throughout the hotel (curry). We didn't eat the breakfast either as it was £10 for full breakfast and £8,50 for the continental. So we ate at the Weatherspoon pub around the corner for much cheaper price.

Room Tip: Rom 111 is a big room I don't know about the others
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family