“A Big Let Down”

Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
“A Big Let Down”
Reviewed 3 February 2014 via mobile

Went here Recently with my family as a matter of pure interest,mainly to see if I would rate it highly enough to return,as we regularly go out for a curry in Glasgow and we were firstly disappointed at the door with the buffet price and felt it was a about £3 each more than the average.On entering there was no welcome for about a minute or so and there was a Strange Damp smell, we were then greeted by the owner and were made very welcome in this huge restaurant, we opted for the buffet and the starters were cold but not a problem as fresh ones were served straight to us 10/10 for service,I tried 5 main dishes which were also pretty look warm,and were very salty, and sadly not that authentic tasty way I was expecting. It was known to the staff that everything was cooler at this time and all efforts to remedy were exhausted as we got fresh Nan and rice straight to table,As for the Desert, lets just say it was a no goer, So we called it a day and got the Bill and we received a fair Discount, which was a shame as the owner did a great job in trying rectify the flaws but unfortunately our bad experience was out of his control.Overall against we would say Overpriced and Food Overrated, And for, the excellent friendly and helpful staff We will be sticking to the devil we know in future.

“Terrible Customer Service”
Reviewed 19 January 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I visited here last night.

Where we arrived at 530pm it was reasonably busy, everyone seemed to be eating the buffet, but we went for the a la carte menu.

The decor was traditional, and very fitting although the restaurant did smell quite badly of damp.

We ordered a couple of drinks, a pint of cobra and a pint of draught "diet coke". I had to send the "diet coke" (as it was described in the drinks list) back, as it was not "coke", it was that cheap nasty draught cola that you get in spit and saw dust pubs.......

Anyway, they swooped it without any argument, so no harm done.

We ordered our starters, lamb chops and veg pakora and was told it would take 15 minutes. We finished our drinks and 45 minutes later, no starters, and our empty glasses were still on the table, no offer of another drink, or any popadoms or the like.

My boyfriend asked the head waiter how long the food would be and pointed out we had been waiting 45 mintues and was told "no you haven't, you've only been waiting 15".

We then asked if they could get all the food out ASAP as we had to leave in 35 minutes. The starters (which were not great, the pakora was definitely not fresh) came out five minutes later, but ten mins before we had to leave, there was still no sign of the mains, so we had to get them to take away.

The kitchen doors were swinging open every few minutes, but all the staff seemed interested in was topping up the buffet.

We received the standard take out discount on the mains, but no real apology. We arrived at 530pm and left at 650pm, with our main courses only just out of the kitchen.

When we finally got to eat our mains, they were pretty good, but the visit was definitely marred by the horrendous waiting time and poor customer service.

Visited January 2014
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Great buffet”
Reviewed 30 December 2013

We were staying locally and had looked it up online. Their website said they did a buffet every evening from 6pm for £13.95 and we thought this seemed fair.

We were a bit disappointed at the door to see a handmade sign covering the buffet price and saying £14.95. Seemed a bit poor that they could not keep their own website up to date.

Food was excellent - a whole range of pakoras to start ( including carrot - bizarre!) a good range of main courses with rice or naan. Minor qualm was that when they put the lids up on the buffet dishes, you could not see the name of the dish so it was a bit like pot luck! They also had a table with poppadoms with dips etc and self service ice cream.

The only thing that really let the down was the service - found the staff quite surly and not at all interested in us. We had to ask for the bill twice and had to wait around 15 minutes to get it, when only 3 or 4 tables were occupied.

The bill was £35 and nobody came to take it from the table. My husband went to the bar with it and the staff member looked at the bill, the £40 on the tray, said thanks and carried on with his business. He seemed to have assumed this was a tip and when we asked for the change huffed a bit saying we would need to wait, then had to wait 5 mins for another staff member to come to give us change.

Great food but felt really let down by the service. Also was annoyed that it was assumed they could keep the change when we had been given poor service!

• Visited December 2013
“Amazing mushroom pilau!”
Reviewed 23 December 2013 via mobile

I was up in Glasgow on business and had this place recommended to me by a friend. The mushroom pilau is amazing so full of flavour! I also had their pimped up version of a peshwari naan. It had almonds and syrup on top. Truly amazing. The curries all look great. I had a standard dopiaza which was still a strong dish. Staff were really friendly and made you more than welcome which is always good when you are a stranger in town. Next time in Glasgow I will be there with bells on.

Visited October 2013
Glasgow
“Best Buffet”
Reviewed 20 November 2013

The weeknight buffet in this restaurant is fantastic; the owner takes a personal interest in what his customers are enjoying and has created several pakoras that we have never seen or tasted elsewhere. I was there two weeks ago and have been anticipating my next visit ever since!
By the way this is apparently the oldest indian curry restaurant in Glasgow and is celebrating its fiftieth anniversary next year - hope they do some more great and unique dishes to celebrate!
MaryB