“Great Lunch”
Review of The White Elephant

The White Elephant
Reserve with OpenTable
The White Elephant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #753 of 2,411 Restaurants in Glasgow
Cuisines: Gastropub
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Great Lunch”
Reviewed 20 February 2014

Great choices ,good service with staff who do actually seem to care about what customers think rather than just asking for the sake of asking. For example staff happy to turn down the heater close to our table when it became too warm. Food excellent although the place was very quiet on a Tuesday lunchtime-this was a second visit ,will happily return.

Visited February 2014
2 Thank Alison M

“Slow service”
Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

Went today with my dad for lunch , menu and drinks provided quickly and order taken , then ........ A long time til we recieved our 1st course , i hate waiting !! .I had ordered the sunday roast but noticed that the guys next to me was practically raw( maybe he ordered it that way ) i asked the waitress to make sure mine was well done , no blood.Then ......... We waited!! A long time for our main course and low and behold mine came bloody and red , i was none too pleased and asked it to be cooked the way i had asked .The waitress was pleasant and apologetic , i can only asdume they didnt have enough kitchen staff , it wasnt that busy .The food was ok but the above experience means no repeat visit for me

Visited February 2014
Glasgow
“Sumptious Sea Food”
Reviewed 2 February 2014

We had visited when the venue was under the previous proprietors and hadn't been impressed. But after a neighbour' recommendation we went along for a family birthday to the new eatblishment.
We weren't disappointed.
The layout is simliar to the previous incarnation but felt more welcoming and relaxed.
My only complaint is a purely personal one - that there were noisy, but affable, drinkers in the bar area watching football for the first half hour of our visit - but that is the whole point of a Bar/Diner, so just ignore it!
Staff were pleasant, attentive and (granted it was a Saturday night) there were plenty of them. They are a young crew - compared to me! - and the merest raised eyebrow brought your waiter/ess to the table.
A nice touch was the open view of the kitchen allowing scrutiny of the Head Chef's (Chris, we discovered) final preparations before dishes are served.
At first glance the menu may give the impression of Pub grub, but nothing could be further from the truth. It is all cooked freshly to order.
I chose the Spicy fish stew for starters and was glad I had starved myself all day - it would have served as a main meal. The generous combination of fish and shellfish in a rich paprika broth was delicious. My main course of pan roasted coley served on mash with greens was a hearty continuation of my seafood feast.
My co-diners tended more to the meat choices and were similarily satisfied, with the gourmet burger eliciting groans of delight.
Dessert came on several chilled slates and the sweet delights tempted even the most carnivorous of us.
We will most definitely return to the White Elephant!

• Visited December 2013
Glasgow
“Will give it another go”
Reviewed 27 January 2014

I had mixed feelings about this place. For starter I had the vegetarian haggis bonbons which didn’t even taste or look like veggie haggis – just some indeterminate filling and it came as a very small portion. For mains I had the braised shin of beef with mash and honey glazed veg. The beef was unfortunately really dry and again the portion was quite small. The parsnips were really hard so I left them. I also ordered a portion of onion rings (my favourite side dish) which were really nice. Mr B had the nachos and then the beef burger which looked quite dry but he seemed to like it.

Wasn’t too impressed with the food and the décor is quite grey and drab but the staff were really nice and I will give it another try. Even if it’s just for a drink – they have Blue Moon on draught which is definitely a reason for me to go back.

• Visited January 2014
2 Thank Bunglingidiot
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Nice local place”
Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

We have just returned from our second visit to the White Elephant. Last time we took my parents and our 9 week old baby and this time it was just me, my husband and our wee one (now 12 weeks).
The place looks very nice and is spacious - plenty room for a pram.
The service is very friendly, relaxed and speedy (but not rushed).
The menu is varied and reasonably priced - from generic pub mains such as tasty handmade burgers and fish and chips to more gastro style offerings like slow cooked pork.
We were really happy with our lunch and will definitely return again regularly!