“faulty towers of glasgow”
Review of Belgrave Hotel

Belgrave Hotel
Ranked #90 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 30 June 2013

checked into this hotel on sat 29th of june 2013, when we eventually found this back street hotel we were given a room in the basement what was like a cellar on entering the room there was only one curtain on the window which had cobwebs and a spider hanging from it the curtain looked as if it hadnt been taken down in years.the carpet was filthy and well worn years old by the look of it, i found hairs on my bed which werent mine,i walked into the bathroom and there were 2 spiders dangling from the ceiling my wife about had a heart attack as she is terrified of spiders lady on the desk apologised to us and said she hadnt saw them when she cleaned the room we did a hasty retreat from the hotel as it was awful stay away from this hotel

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank bigdavie67

Reviewed 21 June 2013

Margaret was a fantastic host very keen to help and even carried our bags.
Saved my life with a phone charger too. Lost our keys but that was not a problem. Found them and returned later!
Rooms were clean and bed comfy.
Breakfast was good.
We would recommend this hotel .

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 February 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for one night and found it was clean but dated and everything was in a poor state even the towels were falling apart. If you have big bags, you won't like this place, it has alot of steps just to get to the front door, and no lift inside. The room was a booked as single for £30 but it had two singles, the en-suite was ok but had a few broken tiles. But it was clean the beds were not comfy. I would stay again but this is a similar price to the Amadeus which is a lot nicer,

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Drewxoxoxo
Reviewed 8 January 2013

What made my short stay at The Belgrave was the kind lady who worked there who allocated me a quiet room, as requested. The room was large and well heated, with a large tv and ensuite facilities. The breakfast was buffet style, fresh and tasty with good coffee too. All in all I enjoyed my stay and hope to return there.

Room Tip: Try a room on the top floor at the back of the buillding to avoid traffice noise.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank jimgordon88
Reviewed 14 November 2012

Stayed here for one night as we were having a night out in the west end and the Hilton along the road was full. It is many years since I've stayed in an old school b and b. The room was fairly small,and although clean,could certainly have done with a lick of paint. The shower cubicle was obviously built in to an alcove as an afterthought. I'm not that tall and I had to duck to get myself in there! The staff we met were friendly. The walls are pretty thin between the rooms so you will hear everything from the adjoining rooms.
The price was good,only £50 for the night and the location is ideal for the west end. Only two minutes walk along great western road to the oran mor at the top of byres road. And about five minutes walk to ashton lane. Kelvinbridge Subway is only two minutes walk away for access to the rest of the city.
Overall,okay for the price. Our normal port of call would be the Hilton Grosvenor along the road,but we'll keep this place in reserve if they happen to be full again.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank rolaaand
Reviewed 12 November 2012

I first stayed here six years ago when everything was fresh and new, rooms were small but had everything you needed and location is great in the heart of the west end. Transport links into the centre are efficient and easy to get to.
I have returned today and I am writing this review from the breakfast room. I was greeted by a lady who was friendly enough, and shown to my room which was downstairs, no issue for me being in the basement as I'm only in my 20s. The room itself was a good size, carpet was a little bit frayed at the edges and looked like it could do with replacing. The curtain had a bleach stain on it, looked a bit shabby I'd consider replacing this also. Ensure is a good size, shower gets a little too hot, no matter what you turn up or down. The room was clean, has tv and hair dryer and iron/board. Downside, my tv was not working and only channel I could access was itv3. I slept comfortably enough and adequately for the price, surprisingly traffic did not disturb me even though we were facing a main road. Breakfast was adequate, even if the gentleman serving was a bit of a grump. If he's anything like my dad, I'm sure it's just how he appears. He was very efficient if a little grumpy. Overall, not a bad place but could definitely do with a revamp, everything was a lot more impressive on the first visit as it was all new, service hasn't changes at all which is nothing to grumble about. Everyone is friendly enough, my only advice would be to brighten up the shabby areas and it would be a perfect little guest house, perfect for a fleeting visit to the city

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank Lornahudds
Reviewed 2 November 2012

This is an old building which has been sympathetically modernised to a suitable standard. We were greated by a helpful receptionist who allocated us a front bedroom with a superb king size bed which was really comfortable. The ensuite was fine - not palacial, but we were quite happy with the standard. The breakfast was self-service and ran from 7-9am - but dont be late, they dont hang around for straglers!!!

Room Tip: Ask for room 6 at the front! can be noisy on Monday nights with students from the local'Viper...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family